I love my MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

28 minutes ago, Emtsoh said:

@Wattsy: correct. Just last week, I saw a brand new MP (silver chrome) and instead of the silver strip 0.72, had the same viewfinder like all M-A have.

Maybe Leica changed MPs viewfinder lately and decided to include same parts in all film models (M6, M-A, MP). Time will tell I guess.

Sounds odd because I thought the silver strip was functional rather than decorative and was necessary for the correct display of the exposure arrows in the VF (I assume the silver strip adds contrast or something like that).  Maybe it really was a mistake by the factory: wrong VF glass in an MP or a silver M-A with MP engraving?

9 hours ago, wattsy said:

Sounds odd because I thought the silver strip was functional rather than decorative and was necessary for the correct display of the exposure arrows in the VF (I assume the silver strip adds contrast or something like that).  Maybe it really was a mistake by the factory: wrong VF glass in an MP or a silver M-A with MP engraving?

Could be a mistake or maybe an update from Leica on the MP.

The camera which I saw, it was a brand new MP (not an M-A). 

Some years ago, I had a BP MP and currently I am contemplating on a new one (in silver chrome). Went to a Leica boutique and there I had the chance to see this MP chrome without the VF line as we are all used to.

On M-A the absence of this silver VF line fits and most probably is not even required due to the lack of an embedded light meter. On the MP though, I immediately saw the absence of the VF line and made me thinking (thus, my question on this forum too).

Time will tell if this change is a standard one or it was a production oversight. 

10 hours ago, RayD28 said:

Might it be the silver strip and viewfinder size is a holdover from the a la cart days?  Now that 72mm is the universal size did Leica just deem the strip unnecessary?

To me that makes sense. Let's see though  what the 2023 MP models will consistently be.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, RayD28 said:

Might it be the silver strip and viewfinder size is a holdover from the a la cart days?  Now that 72mm is the universal size did Leica just deem the strip unnecessary?

I think the VF magnification designation certainly dates from the era where there was a choice (not just à la carte) but the silver strip was on the original M6 so it must have presumably served some functional or stylistic purpose prior to there being a choice in VF mag. However, Googling secondhand examples just now suggests that not every old M6 has the silver strip (though most seem to). As @leicaoptik points out, the MP3 LHSA doesn't have the silver strip nor, apparently, does the M6J. 

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb wattsy:

I think [...] it must have presumably served some functional or stylistic purpose [...]. 

The mirrored strip serves to minimize scattered light in the viewfinder and to make the exposure display easier to read.

6 hours ago, RAW said:

The mirrored strip serves to minimize scattered light in the viewfinder and to make the exposure display easier to read.

Yes, I assumed it served some such purpose but it must be marginal or Leica  wouldn’t have omitted the strip on the MP3 and M6J (unless the ridged frame around the window on those cameras helped in that regard?). 

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, RAW said:

Maybe it´s marginal, maybe not. If anyone knows the real reason, it's certainly someone at Leica. ;)

If you know more (not sure if you are implying that you are "someone at Leica"?) then maybe you could clarify the necessity or otherwise of the silver strip? As I wrote above (#4821), I had assumed that the strip had a functional purpose with metered cameras but, as others have since pointed out, there have been a limited number of modern M cameras with meters but without the silver strip.

I got my knowledge about the stripe from a Leica book written by a Leica expert. However, it does not explain why some cameras do not have this stripe. It's not my cup of tea to speculate, so I've listed both possibilities and one will be right. Regardless of whether Leica simply wanted to follow the design of the meterless M3. Because that would be an option too. But as I said, speculating is not my thing.

I love my MP! 🙂 I got mine now since 10 years! 🥰

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

20 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

New member of the family, MP BP.
In harmony with a Summilux-M 50 pre-asph v2.

Very nice.  Keep an eye on that plain battery cover, mine developed a habit of unscrewing itself after 16 years of use without a problem and I almost lost it a couple of times.  I use the slotted cover now which was, I assume still is, supplied with the camera as a spare.

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Very nice.  Keep an eye on that plain battery cover, mine developed a habit of unscrewing itself after 16 years of use without a problem and I almost lost it a couple of times.  I use the slotted cover now which was, I assume still is, supplied with the camera as a spare.

Thank you, and thanks for the warning. It's the only thing I had to check in the manual: what the second battery cover was for.

16 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Thank you, and thanks for the warning. It's the only thing I had to check in the manual: what the second battery cover was for.

Hello Paul,

I think that, back in the 20th Century when they were originally made: They were made for people with coins in their pockets who wanted to open the battery covers in their cameras that had built in, or add on, CdS* light meters. I think that the first Japanese versions had a size & curve that followed the dimensions of the then existent 100 Yen coin.

Best Regards,

Michael

* Cadmium Sulfide

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2023 at 1:51 PM, SoeWuest said:

I love my MP! 🙂 I got mine now since 10 years! 🥰

...just realised my first MP is approaching its 20 birthday. Wow. Here's to another 20.

• Like 4

This old girl is already 20! She should be able to legally buy me drinks this year.

Looking forward to making some photos this weekend. Hope everyone has a great one.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Sunyforreal said:

This old girl is already 20! She should be able to legally buy me drinks this year.

Blimey, it looks brand new. Even the paint on the wind lever seems mostly intact (I think I can see a tiny bit of brassing in the knurled tip).

• Like 1