Updated: Rome One Challenge 2017

satijntje

- is it really open to anyone ? i.e. , I do not know anyone personally. Zero. Is it a bunch of regular people that always go ? do you guys travel in groups or alone ?

- is the thing set in stone ( the dates ) ? can I buy the plane tickets now and book Hotel ?
- I've read the Lisbon Challenge ( stupid me, was flirting with the Sony, it is my hometown ) and from what I understood the format is : dinner on friday, night out for pictures, and then on saturday lunch together, day out for pictures... then what ? dinner together and again night out for pictures ? and the sunday ? just trying to figure out the "mechanics" of the challenge and see if I go with the wife ( which is a non photographer ) and the daughters or just alone

Yes, the dates are usually set (in advance) and it happens on roughly the 2nd Saturday in October. There are quite a few regulars, but always a few newcomers who are made very welcome.  You only have to use a Leica camera or lens for the competition.

You can buy the plane tickets and make hotel bookings now as the date will be Saturday the 14th October 2017. I've booked my flights and hotel and travel alone.

The only "formal" events are the pre-meet on the Saturday lunchtime prior to the competition which take place on the Saturday afternoon and the dinner on the Saturday evening. Other than that one is free to enjoy the selected City. There is an informal night-shoot on the Saturday night after dinner for those that wish to take part (no prizes). Some meet up on the Sunday for lunch - depends on flight times! 

Don't worry about not knowing anyone, we're a friendly bunch and you'll find that owning/using a Leica is the best introduction!

• Like 2

...just to add, I would also say, that we are a pretty diverse bunch, increasing the likelihood to meet someone along one's line - or someone, who is different enough to give new inputs, depending on the preference.

Which reminds me to try to bake bread in a Le Creuset (actually, I still have to buy one), which I learned the last time.

It was never a written rule, more a perceived one; I have the feeling, that the noon meeting for the challenge is about photography, while the dinner is for "other topics".

Stefan

• Like 1

Hotel & Flight booked to Rome ! See you guys in October :)

Got superb deal on the flights ( 70 euros round way ) and remembered I had those pesky points to redeem on Hotels ( which nobody does and always expire ). So looked at it and got myself a free weekend and, going to stay at Melia Rome, all booked !

See you guys there,

GP

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello and good morning,

we have booked our flights and we'll arrive on October 11th. We are going to stay for 7 days.

This is our first visit to Rome, does someone have a hotel recommendation or is able to suggest a district to go to?

Have a terrific sunday.

Dagmar und Carsten :)

• Like 4

I can see the point, however, these days, Firenze has the advantage, that it should be quite an issue to sail a large cruiseship up the Arno...

Hi Dagmar and Carsten, the last time (well, 2004) I stayed north of the Vatican, which has the main attractions in walking distance. Just some quick ideas (I'm currently in a completely different film) and without much price comparison, if you are looking for something modern, this could do the job, otherwise, this would be much more in style with the city....

Stefan

• Like 2

...also, plese keep in mind, that "walking distance" means in this case 3 km air distance to the Foro Romano and about four to the Colosseo. I do not mind walking 10-15 kms a day on a city trip, especially not in Rome, and especially not, if I can rely to get a bar with a good caffè on every corner to pick me up or take my entry photo there for the Venice One Challenge.

Personally, I prefer a place in walking distance, even if it is more expensive to save time on daily commuting. However, there is also a tram and a subway system in Rome.

From the Airport, there is the Leonardo Express, which connects the Fiumicino airport with the central Termini station non-stop. The Trenitalia website also claims: The train shuttle service is guaranteed even in the event of strike (it may be substituted with bus service).

Stefan

Hello and good morning,

we have booked our flights and we'll arrive on October 11th. We are going to stay for 7 days.

This is our first visit to Rome, does someone have a hotel recommendation or is able to suggest a district to go to?

Have a terrific sunday.

Dagmar und Carsten :)

Hi Dagmar & Carsten, 

I have been to Rome once before and stayed at a hotel near the Vatican, which turned out to be a good location - not that far to walk into the 'main' parts of town but a nice quiet area with local bars/restaurants as well. 

If you are going to see the Vatican and Coloseum (you really must!) you will probably be approached by tour guides offering  a guided tour and no queue - take it!! I was unsure but it's money well spent, and the guides we had were all very informative.

Hope to see you in October! 

If it helps, the restaurant that I am trying to book for dinner is in the Borgo district, next to the Vatican.

Nothing firm yet, but I know from the last time we were there, this part of the city is great for night shots and there are loads of reasonably priced restaurants.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

BTW, walking distance from St Peter's to the Colosseum is a couple of miles  

• Like 4

Has somebody already booked the hotelrooms?

i would like to join the main group if possible.

John

Hi John, 

There is no group booking, you just make your own arrangements, although as people book they usually post where they're staying so others can book the same or nearby. 

I won't be able to do anything until nearer the time this year. 

There is no group booking, ...

I know James, it's not my first Challenge :-)

Just interested to stay in a hotel where other challengers are staying as well to enjoy the evenings at the hotel bar!

Looking forward meeting you again

John

• Like 1