Makro options for the SL

wjdrijfhout

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Gordon,

again you seem to be the only one with S 2.5/120 and the S adapter. (Not even Farkas has both ;-).

Did you ever show any macro photos with this combination ? Or also non-macro use is interesting. Do you have a link ?

I liked the results on S2, so I'd like to see what to expect adapted to the SL. In another forum part, people thought that attaching MF lenses would not give anything special (mainly bulk). I am not so sure, especially regarding this lens.

Although I probably would not buy the S lens, however great the results are. (Simply outside of my budget).

Thanks.    Stephan

Sure, as long as you keep in mind I am a terrible macro photographer......

shot at f2.5

Gordon

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Infinity @ f7.1 with S120 - test shot I do with all my lenses.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 2

SL w' S 120mm blur test....

• Like 3

Hello Gordon.

Looks pretty flawless, thanks for your quick reaction.     :D

Stephan

I like the rendering. Very nice circles without harsh edges/borders (in the blurred part). Probably also great for night time images. Too bad that even the s/h price is very high.

Some mentioned that MF lenses are constructed for larger diameter of the blur circle (Zerstreuungskreisdurchmesser, unsure if the translation is correct), resulting in less micro contrast. But these images look perfect, no complaints.

This gives me some motivation to try also my Rollei macro on the SL.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 2

Very good. Was it stacked? 

dunk

No, but I have used aperture 13, to have sufficent dept of field.

Note, it needes a number of shots to get such a result.

I have also the R8 DMR, you will focus with open aperture, but take the picture with closed aperture.

This means, you focus to the point you want to be sharp, the results are often better.

Note: Most of the macros I take with flash SF26 in TTL mode, like the above.

Regards Peter from switzerland

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So many options here for even Leica lenses only ........................

• Like 3

More options with Carl Zeiss macro lenses on Leica SL with help of currently available adapters .........................

Edited by amoebahydra
  • Like 4

I liked the results on S2, so I'd like to see what to expect adapted to the SL. In another forum part, people thought that attaching MF lenses would not give anything special (mainly bulk). I am not so sure, especially regarding this lens.

Although I probably would not buy the S lens, however great the results are. (Simply outside of my budget).

I have the S120 with the SL adapter and it wouldn't come to my mind to use it on the SL with AF. This lens is hunting on the S and the SL in AF-mode, and with the EVF AF isn't useful anyway. Find a good copy of the R Macro-Elmarit, if you want to stay with Leica-LEnses, otherwise the Nikon Macrolenses are also very nice, especially the T/S lenses.

• Like 2

I have a few macro lenses that I use on the SL - not as many as Patrick.    ;)  Mainly R and Nikon.

Macro was the main reason I found the SL appealing. I use the macro lenses manually, the AF would not help in any way, it would not know from where to where I want to have the sharpness.

So the question was not about the AF speed of S lenses, but about the optical quality.

After seeing impressive macro shots with the S 120 lens I wondered how much of that would remain when using it with the smaller sensor of the SL. And it looks like the bokeh is still extraordinary (for a macro lens).

So if you would like to add a few macro photos (or maybe nighttime photos) with the S 120 (with SL ?), I'd be happy to see them.

And to Patrick: Could you add a few macro shots with the Hasselblad Macro-Planar 4/120 ? (used on SL)

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

I purchased the Zeiss Milvus 100/2 macro planar - wonderful on the SL razor thin plane of focus of course but allows for easy hand holding when walking around - somethign the S 120 makrop and my CFi macro planar dont - does display slight  green/magenta back /front colour shifts depending on light - but every lens does this anyway. In the garden a couple of days ago and a sneaky ant on a lemon tree budding in Spring.

(apologies for cheesy frame) 

]30496568806_66ea541189_b.jpg

Edited by PeterGA
  • Like 1

Here is my set up on the SL. I just tried the Vario Sonnar 28-85 f3.3 zoom, as otherwise I only have long Contax lenses. I did not think the zoom would work very well but it turns out it is brilliant for altering the framing of your object, especially a zoom as parfocal as my V-S. I was going to get a 60 or 100mm Makro Planar but now I don't think I will bother. The only thing I don't particularly like on the Contax auto bellows, is that the rack is a bit coarse, compared with say my Novoflex, which after you lock the front of the bellows in place on the track, then has micrometer screw fine adjustment for getting perfect focus. I tend to get the focus about right with the Contax bellows and then do the fine tuning with lens focus. The Contax bellows is far more rigid than my elderly Novoflex LTM bellows. I use it with a three axis head on the end of a side arm, off my large Manfrotto 074B tripod. 

Wilson

Just to show what the above is capable of here is an image of the whole frame. I think it is a bit more than 1:1. You will notice there is a tiny bit of vignetting, which is I suspect due to the small throats of the LEM/CONT Novoflex adapter and M to T adapter, at the back of the bellows. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

More options with Carl Zeiss macro lenses on Leica SL with help of currently available adapters .........................

WOW!  The Contarex 50mm F4.0 S-Planar!  I still regret selling my Contarex gear when I bought the R9.  I had lenses from the 16mm F-Distagon to the 250mm F4 Sonnar, 2 Contarex Super bodies and 4 film magazines (one with a light leak).  I found out, after the fact, that the F-Distagon in Contarex mount is ever rarer than the 35-70 f2.8 Vario-Elmarit-R!  I had been had!!!  But that was back in 2004, so I pass it off as youthful (relative to today) learning.

And, today, I am happy with the SL and my R lenses.  Let bygones be bygones.

Guy

• Like 1

I would like to share with you my method of the easiest way for macro photographing with your current normal lens. I recently acquired two new-released Hawk’s adapters from eBay for SL: M-to-SL/T and R-to-SL/T (see photos below). In the case of M-to-SL/T, I can focus a 50Cron-M Pre-ASPH from 0.7M down to 0.4M by turning the step-less helicoids of the adapter. This idea/design was firstly seen with M-to-SONY E a few years ago, and now it is available for SL/T.

In the case of R lens, Hawk’s adapter provides almost 1:2 ratio for any R lens. I shot it with my Summicron-R 35mm/f2, and I can approach the object as close as 0.2M and get a nice magnification (see sample shots below). If you wish to increase the mag ration, you can easily achieve that by inserting any extension ring between the lens and the adapter, and you will be surprised by the result with your creativity.   

• Like 4

Following are some sample shots for your reference:

Sample shot

• Like 1

Sample shot with R lens

Sample shot with R lens

Edited by pipatree