AUSTRALASIAN ONE CHALLENGE - Advance Notice

erl

Can I ask a travel question to the Melbournites and Sydney-siders please - do I assume correctly, that having a rental car is less than useful in your cities?

Stefan

If you just want to get around within the city, a rental car would be more trouble than its worth - public transport should easily suffice for most areas and attractions. The benefit of a car comes when you want to get out of the city. I think this is pretty much the same anywhere in the world these days. The transit systems in Melbourne and Sydney both use tap-on, tap-off card systems ('Opal' for Sydney, 'Myki' for Melbourne), and combined with smartphone apps it is very easy to navigate to unfamiliar destinations.

• Like 4

Thank you, this is as I assumed. I guess there are only a few cities like Los Angeles, where a car is mandatory to get around.

Slightly tongue-in-cheek, maybe we can introduce a scale from 0-10, where 10 is Los Angeles and 0 Venice, where a car can only serve as a door-stop...

Stefan

The Belgian Beer Café sounds good Geoff. Say 6'ish...pm that is on the 6th April. Or the lobby at the Travelodge??

all best...

Sounds like a plan. Meeting at the lobby would let us guide everyone interested to the Belgian Beer Cafe experience.

Superb artisan beer and French food in German proportions

• Like 3

Can I ask a travel question to the Melbournites and Sydney-siders please - do I assume correctly, that having a rental car is less than useful in your cities?

Stefan

As digbyhp said. A point to note that in the CBD proper, all tram travel is free. Outside that a Myki card is required. I think it costs $10 + travel money you load on. I will research this and other facts before people start travelling and arriving.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sounds excellent - the tram it is then for Melbourne :)

Apart from the practical advantages, I always liked tram rides for being a different experience than taking the bus. I could never put my finger, where the difference actually is, though. There is a story of an elderly lady in Munich asking the tram driver for the best tram route. When the driver points out, that she would be much faster with the subway, she replies, that she will be long enough underground, when she'll be dead...

Stefan

• Like 2

At some point would it be wise to compile a contact list of attendees mobile and email details that we can share privately?

Gordon

p.s.

Lax. When is your wife due? I remeber the sheer terror of my first. She'll be fine. You need to practice using your new M10 so when bub arrives you've got all the kinks work out.... :)

• Like 2

Hey Gordon!

September, the baby is due.  Right now we're still in the pre-12week danger zone. 

Also, I don't have an M10 at present.  Would love one, it constitutes almost all the features that makes it 'the' perfect M I've been asking for, for the past few years - the separate ISO dial, heavily improved ISO, LV.  HOWEVER, with the new kid coming along I really shouldn't be spending the cash.  I might be able to work an M240 into the mix but it would take some research, planning, and a 60 minute PowerPoint presentation backed up with solid references and expert opinions.

Can I ask the opinion of everyone here - would you sell your M9-P if you do own one?  The pros of the M9-P - it has that CCD sensor, it's rarer than the M9 and I like the vintage/classic design.  The M9-P may also retain its value (more or less) because of its rarity and CCD sensor if I decide to sell it later.

On the other hand, the ISO performance is not as good as the M240 or the M10. 

If you own an M9 or M9-P - is it a camera that you will hang on to for a very long time or are you happy to give it up to upgrade to an M240/M10?

• Like 1

At some point would it be wise to compile a contact list of attendees mobile and email details that we can share privately?

Gordon

p.s.

Lax. When is your wife due? I remeber the sheer terror of my first. She'll be fine. You need to practice using your new M10 so when bub arrives you've got all the kinks work out.... :)

Yes, it will be done, but don't hesitate to prompt me to instigate it. Currently I am juggling surgery for myself, my dog, and worrying that the day my newly ordered M10 arrives I will be having my right hand operated on! Already I am practicing how to play tennis with the other hand. :wacko:

• Like 1

Hey Gordon!

September, the baby is due.  Right now we're still in the pre-12week danger zone. 

Also, I don't have an M10 at present.  Would love one, it constitutes almost all the features that makes it 'the' perfect M I've been asking for, for the past few years - the separate ISO dial, heavily improved ISO, LV.  HOWEVER, with the new kid coming along I really shouldn't be spending the cash.  I might be able to work an M240 into the mix but it would take some research, planning, and a 60 minute PowerPoint presentation backed up with solid references and expert opinions.

Can I ask the opinion of everyone here - would you sell your M9-P if you do own one?  The pros of the M9-P - it has that CCD sensor, it's rarer than the M9 and I like the vintage/classic design.  The M9-P may also retain its value (more or less) because of its rarity and CCD sensor if I decide to sell it later.

If you own an M9 or M9-P - is it a camera that you will hang on to for a very long time or are you happy to give it up to upgrade to an M240/M10?

Lax, I have and love my M9-P. I have ordered an M10, but will keep the M9-P. The M10 has some great improvements for my style of shooting, but the M9-P is part of my psychy. Sell the camera and after a week, the money is gone, so is the camera!

Keep the camera, and after a week you don't have the money, but you DO have the camera!

So where is the logic in selling?

That's why after a lifetime, I have a cupboard full of beautiful cameras!

• Like 2

"...If you own an M9 or M9-P - is it a camera that you will hang on to for a very long time or are you happy to give it up to upgrade to an M240/M10?"

Exactly the issue I've been wrestling with... Perhaps to help clarify things for myselfI wrote something that ended up on Leicaphilia recently. The upshot is that as desirable as the M10 is - and it's incredibly desirable - I think I'll stick with the M9-P. Could easily be tempted into a CCD MM if the need for a new direction gets too strong!!

Edited by baci
  • Like 1

Yes, it will be done, but don't hesitate to prompt me to instigate it. Currently I am juggling surgery for myself, my dog, and worrying that the day my newly ordered M10 arrives I will be having my right hand operated on! Already I am practicing how to play tennis with the other hand. :wacko:

Well, if you do need any help I'm happy to make the list for you.

Also happy to break in your M10 if you don't have the time. :)

Gordon

• Like 1

Hey Gordon!

Well, I have a first 12 week story with my first that'd make your toes curl. So I completely understand. But she's 15 now so I also know that it will be just fine. Enjoy the panic though. I remember mine with a strange fondness now.

It's still only February, and you can drive to Melbourne. I think we can talk you into it. :)

As for the M9-P. Totally up to you. I just sold my last M9 in anticipation of the M10, with no regrets but I don't know if I'd do the same for an M. Personally I don't go in for the CCD vs CMOS sensor thing. I really do like the low ISO M9 files but a sensor is only part of a camera. The CMOS looks a bit different but not always better or worse to my eye.

If you do upgrade and miss the CCD look I'll loan you my S2. Now that's got the CCD look plus some.

Gordon

• Like 1

Well, if you do need any help I'm happy to make the list for you.

Also happy to break in your M10 if you don't have the time. :)

Gordon

Ah, yes, but would I see my M10 again?

Closer to the event, the international guys will start posting their Mob. #'s etc. We usually do that via PM's rather than posting on open threads, for security.

• Like 3

Lax, I have and love my M9-P. I have ordered an M10, but will keep the M9-P. The M10 has some great improvements for my style of shooting, but the M9-P is part of my psychy. Sell the camera and after a week, the money is gone, so is the camera!

Keep the camera, and after a week you don't have the money, but you DO have the camera!

So where is the logic in selling?

That's why after a lifetime, I have a cupboard full of beautiful cameras!

You convinced me to keep the M9-P and then I read your final sentence and now I don't know whether you're trying to teach me a subtle life lesson.   :)

Exactly the issue I've been wrestling with... Perhaps to help clarify things for myselfI wrote something that ended up on Leicaphilia recently. The upshot is that as desirable as the M10 is - and it's incredibly desirable - I think I'll stick with the M9-P. Could easily be tempted into a CCD MM if the need for a new direction gets too strong!!

Hey!  I read your article earlier this week and I understand where you're coming from.  I do a lot of photography in difficult lighting circumstances though, that's one of the reasons the M10 was very appealing.  On the other hand, I think I could do very well with the M240, it seems to be a decent performer in terms of 'contemporary' ISO (notwithstanding the phenomenal A7s). 

Well, I have a first 12 week story with my first that'd make your toes curl. So I completely understand. But she's 15 now so I also know that it will be just fine. Enjoy the panic though. I remember mine with a strange fondness now.

It's still only February, and you can drive to Melbourne. I think we can talk you into it. :)

As for the M9-P. Totally up to you. I just sold my last M9 in anticipation of the M10, with no regrets but I don't know if I'd do the same for an M. Personally I don't go in for the CCD vs CMOS sensor thing. I really do like the low ISO M9 files but a sensor is only part of a camera. The CMOS looks a bit different but not always better or worse to my eye.

If you do upgrade and miss the CCD look I'll loan you my S2. Now that's got the CCD look plus some.

Gordon

Ahhh it's our first kid, and we're having him/her very late in life.*  I'm not going to be a helicopter parent once the child is old enough but the pregnancy is a bit touch-n-go, the statistics are against us so we're trying to be very careful.  It's not like we're in our 20s and have another 15 years of biological opportunity in terms of having kids. 

I still remember you saying you were going to hang on to your M9s because of the CCD sensor.  However, I also understand your point about the CCD vs CMOS argument.  I'm very comfortable with post-processing and I suppose in my circumstances the divide between CCD and CMOS is thinner because of it.  Financially though, I get the impression that the M9-P has a better chance of holding its value if I were to sell it later to upgrade to a reduced price M10 (due to an impending M11).  Conjecture, I hear you say.  Speculation, and conjecture.  Photography now, not later, I also hear you say.  Ahhhh I know. 

As for coming to Melbs for the meet, I'd love to but at present I really want to be here to help with the morning sickness, daily transport, and other things to make the pregnancy easier.  I'll see though.  Maybe things will stabilise by April, I don't know.

* we will learn of the gender in about 3 weeks!

Edited by Lax Jought

Erl, as there are now too many posts to trawl through to sort out arrangements, when you can would you mind posting the 'definitive' itinerary for the Challenges (and rules), social events, esp. food, etc :-)

I'm now sorted for flights and accommodation for Melbourne from Thursday night till Sunday afternoon.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1