Learning to Print

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When you eventually get to the matting and framing part of the LuLa video, ignore the part where Michael uses a computer algorithm to use the SpeedMat cutter.  I own a SpeedMat, and there is absolutely no need for computer assist....setting the borders could not be quicker or easier.   Watch, for example, LuLa Video Journal #15, where Bill Atkinson (who introduced Michael to the SpeedMat) demonstrates.  Even though Bill uses even borders, I get the same quick results even when custom matting each print to the sixteenth of an inch, with wider border at bottom, similar to Michael's approach.  Unfortunately, Michael was already in poor health, and had sold his cutter, before I had the chance to explain.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I just found out Michael passed away in May of 2016.  To those that knew him, my condolences.  

I did not have much time last night, but I was able to watch just a portion of the framing and matting video.  A SpeedMat is now on the list of things I'd like to try someday!

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/260646-michael-reichmann-rip/

Much more on the LuLa forum.

As I wrote, by the time I explained to him my observations on the better use of the SpeedMat, he had sold his due to deteriorating health.

I still have a simpler Logan Framers Edge mat cutter....but the SpeedMat has spoiled me, even though overkill for my modest production needs.

BTW, Michael was a terrific photographer (particularly in color IMO)....his retrospective book (by donating to his foundation...proceeds given to grants for photographers) is a treat.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Back to the original topic, I had a few more questions:

1. I'm able to use and set a specific ICC profile in Lightroom for printing, and to have Lightroom manage the colors.  That part is easy.  However, when I load paper into the Epson P800, the printer asks me for the paper type.  Today I was testing some Epson Exhibition Fiber paper, and the printer did not offer that paper choice.  It is a "Soft Gloss" paper, so I selected "Premium Semigloss" on the printer.  The print turned out, but I'm not sure if I selected it correctly.  I understand from the LuLa videos that the printer may be choosing the distance it prints from the paper surface based upon this setting.  What do I do if the correct paper type is not pre-loaded in the printer?  Is there a way to update this or doesn't it matter?

2. I'm currently using individual sheets of paper.  Is it preferable (less expensive) to buy a roll feeder for this printer and cut off only the amount used for the print rather than use a whole sheet each time?

3. Lightroom allows me to increase the print resolution (with a warning).  From the LuLa videos, I've increased this successfully to 720 ppi.  I noticed that Lightroom will allow me to go higher.  Is there any benefit with this printer to go above 720?  I believe the LuLa videos were created in 2011, so I'm not sure if printing technology has advanced since that time.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Not a direct answer to your first and third questions, but this is one reason I love ImagePrint 10 in conjunction with my P800.  You choose the specific paper you're using and it provides custom profiles (better than most) for differing lighting display conditions, and provides every setting for the printer to ensure that prints are done perfectly, without worrying if you missed something or did something wrong.  No need to touch the printer screen panel when printing.....IP takes over the print driver.  And it works with single sheets or rolls.  I prefer the former.

edit....page 29 of your user manual answers your first question....apparently there is a specific setting for Exhibition Fiber

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I am glad I bought Image Print 10 when I did a couple of months ago. I have just spent most of the night watching the results of the referendum and the wheels have already fallen of the "£ / $" exchange rate.If I bought it this minute the cost would have gone up by 10%. or $100.And they say Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

BrianP

• 5 months later...

I typically don't make final prints until I'm ready to frame them.  For those and for work prints, I have sets of portfolio drawers in different sizes.  And I have some wall mounted shelves and peg boards to view works in progress.  I keep already framed, but not displayed prints in a closet in my workroom.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

A question related to thread topic. Now that I'm for all intents retired and have time on my hands I'm tempted to try my hand at printing some of my portfolio. I realise that as pretty much a beginner I have a whole lot to learn and have started to read from the various resources available.

My question, given the above, is whether it's worth me investing in a high end printer like an Epson P800 or a Canon Pro-1000 or would I be wiser to start with something more modest? Just by way of information, I guess that around 50% of my workflow is in B&W from my M246.

A question related to thread topic. Now that I'm for all intents retired and have time on my hands I'm tempted to try my hand at printing some of my portfolio. I realise that as pretty much a beginner I have a whole lot to learn and have started to read from the various resources available.

My question, given the above, is whether it's worth me investing in a high end printer like an Epson P800 or a Canon Pro-1000 or would I be wiser to start with something more modest? Just by way of information, I guess that around 50% of my workflow is in B&W from my M246.

You should at least go for a printer that uses pigment inks (dye inks fade badly after a few years, which I have experience of, so dye prints are only worth it for, say, greetings cards). And I suspect you would want the option of printing at least at A3. This means at least the Epson P600 or similar. The P800 has, I believe, bigger cartridges and prints larger than A3, but is otherwise the same ink and printing technology. My choice of the smaller printer over the larger in the previous generation  (r3000 over r3880) was determined by the space it had to fit in than by other factors. I also use a third party plumbed-in ink system, so a printer with larger cartridges has no advantage for me.

As you will print a lot of B&W, note that the P600 and P800 have to swap black cartridges (it's done automatically) between gloss/lustre and matt/textured papers, this process wastes ink and takes time, so you have to plan when you're going to print on each type of paper. I believe this isn't a requirement for Canon printers.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

I also have a similar ratio of B&W (MM1 and now M246) workflow to you.  I've been printing to an Epson 3880 for the last couple of years.  Initially I found it a very frustrating learning process - Apple, Lightroom, Print Drivers etc.  I wasn't printing enough to really learn the process inside out, I wasn't getting consistent results.

I recently purchased ImagePrint 10, yes it is expensive, however, I now really enjoy printing and the results are great. 

Without wishing to say anything against Imageprint, which I haven't tried, I've concluded that it seems to solve problems I've never had. I invested some time in learning colour management and profiles, and also monochrome printing, with Epson and third party inks, and I've settled on about half a dozen papers that I use regularly. With the custom colour profiles that I've had made for me (by Permajet), and with the Epson ABW tools for B&W, I've been producing prints for a couple of years now that I am satisfied with.

I have been given good advice about Imageprint by several members of this forum, but I would not only have to buy a new printer (Imageprint doesn't work with my R3000), but probably revert to expensive Epson inks (as far as I can tell, Imageprint doesn't handle Permajet inks) - all in all an expensive investment to solve the occasional problems I do have, which I can probably solve much more cheaply in another way.

I am puzzled why Imageprint is clearly of great value to some here, but for me is an expensive solution in search of a problem. For some it may be related to problems caused by changes in Apple's ecosystem (I use Windows); I have found no changes in the Adobe CC LR/PS system that has caused me difficulties in recent years.

Most definitely YMMV.

As I wrote in post #4, I suggest starting with a good printer like the Epson or Canon you mention.  But, as I also wrote, that won't ensure great prints any more than having an expensive camera will ensure great photographs (but it helps avoid flaws and gives you a great starting point).  Like everything else in photography, the techniques can be learned, but the key is having a good eye and good judgment to know when, where and to what degree to apply those techniques.

To address LocalHero, I'm a firm believer that one should stick to what works if the process suits and the desired results are achieved.  ImagePrint isn't a magic bullet, but for me it made my workflow easier, likely saved ink/paper costs by providing soft-proofing superior to what I was getting with LR, avoided issues with the Apple/Adobe/Epson chain, provided access to better profiles than I could achieve without spending twice as much on custom profiling gear, and occasionally (depending on the specific picture/file) produced a better final print result than I was able to get with LR and my Epson driver, even when using ABW.  But that's my take.....it doesn't mean that my prints will be better than someone else's, only that they will be easier and better for me.

Jeff

• Like 1