Irony: MM is making me want a color M camera

eujin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up my M9M last year as an Xmas present to myself. I've loved shooting it so much that it's making me want to shoot nothing but M cameras (I shoot film on an M4-P and color digital on various Fujis). I thought I'd be happy shooting Leica lenses on my Fuji bodies, but it's just not the same. Now I find myself looking for an M9 just for color. 

Anyone else here had the same thing happen? If you did, I'd love to hear where you ended up. 

• Like 2

A wise man once told me, "there are cameras you use for photography, and there are cameras you use to enjoy the process of photography."  Leica M's are the latter for me.  The camera with me this week on vacation is the M-D, and it's the closet to a digital M7 as any I've shot.

if you like the M9M, I would definitely recommend tracking down a clean M9-P as a companion.  Pick the P version so you get the sapphire screen.

Have fun!

Eric

• Like 1

I went the opposite route. I got an ME and used it for close to three years. Last year, tho, I bought an MM on close out, so I now have both. They're definitely complimentary, especially when traveling as they are effectively back ups to each other. 

I tend end to use the M more now, but still take the ME out for a spin every now and then, especially in daylight. 

Edited by AceVentura1986
  • Like 1

I picked up my M9M last year as an Xmas present to myself. I've loved shooting it so much that it's making me want to shoot nothing but M cameras (I shoot film on an M4-P and color digital on various Fujis). I thought I'd be happy shooting Leica lenses on my Fuji bodies, but it's just not the same. Now I find myself looking for an M9 just for color. 

Anyone else here had the same thing happen? If you did, I'd love to hear where you ended up. 

Getting an M9 just for colour has also crossed my mind. But in four years shooting B&W digital and I have only seen a couple of potential pictures that would have been good in colour so I know I don't want to go overboard. Normally I would put a colour film in my MP, or go large format colour, but the advantages of digital have kept nagging at me. But I realised it was really the ultra fast snap shot, the close up, the carry around do-it-all camera but maintaining great image quality that was uppermost in priority. My usual compacts couldn't get the quality, an M9 wouldn't be easy without carrying lenses as well (for the subject matter I wanted to capture), so I ended up with an Olympus Pen F and it couldn't fit the bill better.

Steve

• Like 1

I'd say you should definitely get an M9(P) to complement your M9M, Eujin.

IMX some scenes and subjects only work as colour images.

Having said that; much like AceVentura above I'm approaching the situation from the opposite side. After three years of using an M8.2 and an M9-P I'd say 90% of the frames I've shot have ended up as b/w images. I normally shoot RAW so, obviously, the colour info is there when needed it but if I'm ending up with that percentage in monochrome then the advantages of the MM make it a very attractive proposition.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

I started with an M9, then switched to the Monochrom and finally ended up with B&W film again. Since almost a year I took only very few colour pics. The MM fired my lust to start over with film again, after 13 years of digital!

Regards Theodor

• Like 1

I started with film M6 and then dived into digital with Epson Rd 1, then M9, the M240, and now M246.  Sold the 240 and sticking with the 246 as my only M unless there is a new monochrome version in years to come.  I would not buy another color M for now.  More into monochrome.  For color, I use the Q or my T.  Just my take on this, don't shoot me,  the 240 in color will be less impressive as the 246 is for monochrome. And suspect could say the same for the M9.

Edited by billinghambaglady
  • Like 1

I'd say you should definitely get an M9(P) to complement your M9M, Eujin.

IMX some scenes and subjects only work as colour images.

Having said that; much like AceVentura above I'm approaching the situation from the opposite side. After three years of using an M8.2 and an M9-P I'd say 90% of the frames I've shot have ended up as b/w images. I normally shoot RAW so, obviously, the colour info is there when needed it but if I'm ending up with that percentage in monochrome then the advantages of the MM make it a very attractive proposition.

Philip.

Yes, the M9-P is where I'm leaning. I will probably wait a while for prices to come down further...no rush on my part, as my Fuji X cameras are plenty capable of capturing color with Leica glass. I just prefer the overall experience of RF shooting. Clearly, some of this is very irrational thinking on my part but I guess I like what I like. I just think it's a funny place to end up. I too, shoot RAW/DNG and like to post-process my images. I was leaning M240 at one point as well, just to simplify and have one camera, but that camera — for me —strikes me as accepting too many compromises for too high a price. Perhaps I'll feel differently in time...we'll see. Good discussion though!

Same experience here - my first Leica M camera (a film MP) left my Nikon kit interred in a Pelican box for months - actually  for years - on end.  I finally traded my Nikon gear on an M240, which I ended up trading on an M-P Safari set.

Now my M-P Safari is making me want a Monochrom typ 246.  Irony abounds in the realm of the M camera...

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

I used a M9 since early 2010. When I got my Monochrom about 18 months ago, my M9 rarely left my bag. But I find when I'm traveling and keeping my kit light, I only bring my M9. Then for about 2 months I use the M9 exclusively because suddenly I'm seeing in color. Then the Monochrom comes out and that's all I shoot for months. It is a bit like having two girlfriends - you love them both but one becomes your favorite for a while until you rediscover the joys of the other.

Of course if Leica should come out with a M (360), I might have to give up both loves in favor of a new.

I had the M9 from 2012 to 2015 and was never quite happy with it. I traded to an M-P when the sensor needed to be replaced, was and still am delighted with it. I ordered an MM246 when they were announced but gave up waiting, canceled the order, and bought the SL instead. Very happy I did. 

I'd like an M-D. No urgency. 

I've had an M4-2 again since 2011, use it every so often only with BW film. Would not sell it. 

Edited by ramarren

(Having had an MM) I ended up with a film M body for B+W (and occasional colour), which I greatly prefer.

I also have an an M9 for more immediate, but slightly less satisfying, results.

It'd still be nice to have an MM, especially for 'available darkness' situations but then it'd also be nice to have a second film body for those times you end up with half a roll of something unsuitable for what's in front of you.

I will possibly add both in the long-term but I really can live without them, there's only so many hours in the day - that's where the MM most resonates for me - when it's not 'the day.'

I do wonder if the CCD M9M will reach a point where its value starts to go up. It's very unique and of limited stock now.

I'd keep your Fuji for now but try going more all-in with the colour film on the M4?

It is handy/refreshing to have some other option around if you are someone who tends to go through phases/likes to experiment a bit with photography - for me I have a MF film setup that scratches that itch.

*I have found that the more I chop and change the equipment I use, the slower I progress at the simple aim of just taking pictures that are interesting to me.*

For this reason, I will pass on Sonys and Fujis and adapters and Qs and Ts and SLs and so on. 

• Like 1

I'm in the opposite place:- woke up this morning wanting to dip into the MM range. Terrible urge to order MM @ 50mm..  I'm going to use my XVario as pure B&W for awhile but I'm not sure if this will quell the absolute urge.. Only time will tell.. (off to the doctor tomorrow, need to see if theres a antibiotic for leicalitis"")..

(off to the doctor tomorrow, need to see if theres a antibiotic for leicalitis"")..

It's called GAS.  But the symptoms are resistant to pills that are marketed to eliminate gas.  Tricky little bugs.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Well...I decided to pick up a nicely used M9. An M9-P in silver would probably have been the perfect companion to my MM, but the only ones I found were seriously overpriced. So far, I'm loving the color output of the camera and it's been interesting to note some differences between the M9 and the MM (color aside, obviously). For example, the Auto ISO appears to work much better in the MM. With the M9, I prefer to shoot by manually selecting ISO. And while I probably won't be shooting very much in low light, I've been pleasantly surprised at how good it can be at ISO 800 with some pushing in LR. As a torture test, I even shot one frame at ISO 800 and pushed 5 full stops in post. The result had to be converted to BW, but it still looked, to me, like very high speed, grainy film. It's highly unlikely I will do this on a regular basis and will be very dependent on subject and environment. 

• Like 1