Capture One - Profile for SL

Ingo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have started trying Apple Photos with MacPhun's creative suites and really like it. The colors on Apple Photos are great and with MacPhun, it's like using Apple Aperture, which I loved, again. 

Tried both...  Lightroom and c1.  It seems to be very clear when it comes to shadow recovery and sharpening....  When in lightroom the Details of the sl files are already falling appart c1 still has room for processing....    Also the sl files opened in c1 look contrastier and sharper as opened in LR without beeing touched.

Wonder why there is such an difference.

One thing I find disappointing on C1 is that it still has no de-haze tool. We have been requesting this from Phase One, since they first appeared in ACR, LR and DxO, when C1 was still in version 8. You can fiddle about with a lot of settings in different colour spaces then increase contrast, clarity and structure, which has a similar-ish effect. Using the de-haze tool in ACR or LR is a lot easier and more effective, with better recovery of micro detail.

A lot of the SL photos I took in Myanmar have some haze. This is a problem in the Irrawaddy valley, where we were for the majority of the time. In the morning you get mist haze due to humidity. As the day goes on, this changes to dust haze or in the more built up areas, photochemical smog, mixed with cooking fires (see the photo below taken of Bagan, with a mixture of some morning mist with the breakfast cooking fires starting up at around 7AM. Taken from a balloon). Phase One can no longer give the excuse "oh we are just a little company". Time they woke up and smelt the coffee. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

@Wilson -- I think I like your picture WITH the haze better than if you had made everything clear.  But I agree that de-hazing in C1 is a three slider operation.

I think the difference between LR's profiles and Capture One's is that C1 uses ICC profiles and standard data standards all the way through to output files or prints, while Adobe took some shortcuts long ago that make their profiles less well adapted (but quicker to bring to market).  I don't have inside information, just my guess.

scott

Scott,

That is after dehazing in C1 with a seven step process (set channel mode to red, green, blue, auto adjust, increase contrast and go a touch up on exposure and if required on saturation, increase clarity and then structure, finally pull up shadow detail but reduce highlights) . You would not have liked the photo very much before. You could not see much detail at all, the gold temples were dark brown and the trees were all grey. I am not sure it is anything to do with the ICC versus the DCP profiles but the problem is that each photo needs different amounts of the above treatment, so you cannot save this as a profile and then just paste. As all the adjustments are available as sliders, I think with the skill set that the folks in Denmark have, they could devise a de-haze slider. However I do feel there is a bit of "this is software for professionals and it should not be made easy" attitude at Phase One. I remember talking to them about 6 years ago about incorporating a camera ICC profile maker or offering this as an add in. Maybe they could get together with one of the profiling hardware companies and offer a camera/screen/print ICC profile maker package. "What a good idea" they said but we are still waiting. 

BTW thank you very much for lending them your SL so that we could have an SL profile on C1. The next time I am in Wetzlar or talking to someone senior at Leica, I am going to "read the riot act" about their silly spat with Phase One and tell them that in the interests of their long suffering and empty pocket customers, it is high time they stopped behaving like spoilt children and made things up. I suspect the road block is on the Leica side not Phase One. Not lending them pre-production cameras and lenses to profile, is pathetic. There is a not insignificant pool of Leica/RAW users, who don't like Lightroom - me for one. 

Wilson

• Like 3