the visual art prefrances

vic vic

There are far too many artists that I like a great deal to list, but I will mention one: Vermeer. There are only about 3 dozen paintings of his in existence, but if you can see any (but not the religious allegorical ones which are to my mind inferior), do so. There are 8 in NY at the Metropolitan and the Frick.

Regarding Picasso: You will better appreciate him if you can visit the Picasso museum in Paris. It is a 27 room 17th century mansion that you must move through in a specific, flowing order. Doing so takes you chronologically through his work, and in each room are newspaper and magazine articles (in three languages) showing what was going on in the world at the time, influencing his art.

Regarding Andrew Wyeth, get to the Brandywine Museum not far from Philadelphia in Chads ford, PA, to see enough M.C., Andrew and Jamie Wyeths to overwhelm you. Included are newer pieces from Andrew and Jamie that have never been anywhere except this museum.

Picasso museum???? eh? I have read a zillion books on him and been to a lot of museums with his work. Great artist but overrated I think.

I think that Picasso was a great intuitive artist but his scattershot approach was not particularly focused. Plus, we know how great a magician he was in making his life seem more important than it really ended up being.

Even Matisse I think scored better points.

p.s. I am not going to get into Andrew Wyeth at all. I find him totally pedestrian in fact. His use of light was interesting but not creative. There is nothing revolutionary about him at all. Yawn.