Who likes the provided strap what alternatives are there ?

rfunnell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wondered what recommendations others have for straps for the Leica SL.

Don't know about you but I'm not happy with the provided strap. 

Trying to fit others that previously fitted Leica M's is fairly impossible without scratching the camera.

All suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by rfunnell
  • Like 1

A note of caution . . 

If you use a strap with a ring, then it's likely to twist around and scratch the corner of the body (I know this, because I did it!).

I don't like the feel of neoprene.

Luigi makes a great strap (Leicatime)

Evris is also finishing off what looks like a promising strap (Tie Her Up).

I'm hoping to test out Evris' Rock and Roll strap in the next week or so (and I'll report back then).

• Like 1

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759986-REG/OP_TECH_USA_6701232_E_Z_Grip_Strap_Black.html

After trying two or three, I've settled on using this hand strap, with the RRS universal tripod plate.

It's comfortable, strong and has nothing that can scratch the camera.  Quickly adjustable for gloves / no gloves.

Regards

Peter

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Wouldn't it be great if we could get an adaptor that would allow us to use previously purchased straps .

I know I have quite a collection from my M's .

The only thing I fear is like Jono said the scratching. 

I have a black/silver "Silky" SL strap on order from Luigi at Leicatime. This is a part synthetic silver silk braid and part black leather with a red suede lined leather pad. I use a similar one but with ring end fittings on my M240. It is very comfortable to have wrapped round your hand in comparison to the Leica straps, for when you want to carry the camera like that. Although the SL strap is nothing like as unpleasant as the M Leica straps, with their hard rubber scouring pad to wear away your neck, like Jono, I don't like the feel of synthetic material against my neck. I am also using a Case Logic hand grip strap, which helps stabilise the camera in your hand well and makes one handed operation possible but it is a rather cheap floppy bit of kit. I hope Luigi will take up my suggestion and make a suede lined leather alternative. 

Wilson

Ross, 

They are not actually available as yet or on the website, as I am the test customer for this strap. If you want to order from Luigi, you could ask for him to make one like Wilson is having for his SL. If you are ordering a non-adjustable one, like I am having, you need to specify what length you would like. I think he and/or Ginevra may be away on holiday at the moment, as they have not replied to my progress request of a couple of weeks ago or to my suggestion of making a hand grip strap. 

Wilson

• Like 2

A work around for using favourite straps that have metal split rings is to sacrifice an older (but sound) leather strap of a suitable width and make SL strap lugs out of it by cutting two sections from it and punching hole as shown in the picture below.  The lugs will slip under the SL's bars and a split ring can be fitted through both holes of each lug to form a base to clip your favoured strap to.  If concerned about the split rings tearing through the lug leather over time or to make it a longer lasting solution then metal eyelets can be fixed round the holes with a compression tool.

Pete.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

A work around for using favourite straps that have metal split rings is to sacrifice an older (but sound) leather strap of a suitable width and make SL strap lugs out of it by cutting two sections from it and punching hole as shown in the picture below.  The lugs will slip under the SL's bars and a split ring can be fitted through both holes of each lug to form a base to clip your favoured strap to.  If concerned about the split rings tearing through the lug leather over time or to make it a longer lasting solution then metal eyelets can be fixed round the holes with a compression tool.

Pete.

attachicon.gifSL strap lug web.jpg

That's a nice idea Pete

But my problem was not that the lug was damaged,  but that the split ring from my nice A&A silk strap caught the corner of the SL, scratching the black chrome. Although I'm thinking about something else which might solve that problem too

• Like 1

That's a nice idea Pete

But my problem was not that the lug was damaged,  but that the split ring from my nice A&A silk strap caught the corner of the SL, scratching the black chrome. Although I'm thinking about something else which might solve that problem too

Perhaps threading small plastic beads onto the split rings after they've been attached would protect the black chrome.  And of course it would be at the owner's discretion whether to use red or black or multicoloured plastic beads. -_- I suspect that small diameter Neoprene tubing threaded onto the split rings would do the trick too but it might need to be replaced from time to time owing to wear.

Pete.

Have you seen the straps offered by Peak Design? Here's one that acts as a neck strap or sling:

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/slide/

And here is their hand strap (it does have a metal clasp but shouldn't rub the camera unless it gets twisted somehow):

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/clutch/

I bought one of these thinking it would be good, but that metal clasp is a catastrophe - scratching the LCD on the back - especially problematic when putting the camera in a bag . . . . No Metal is my rule!

• Like 3

I bought one of these thinking it would be good, but that metal clasp is a catastrophe - scratching the LCD on the back - especially problematic when putting the camera in a bag . . . . No Metal is my rule!

Good to know, I'll be avoiding these then.  I've also been looking at the straps from Angelo Pelle. Does anyone here have experience with their products?

http://www.angelo-pelle.com/straps.html

Edited by rmarvin

I always wonder why nobody has copied the Rolleiflex method of strap attachment, where there is a snap in metal clip at the end of the leather strap. This fits into a rectangular lug with a pin in the middle. To remove the strap, you have to very deliberately squeeze the tabs on the clip, which protrude out of the bottom of the lug and the clip is released from the locking pin. In the many years I have been using Rolleiflexes I have never had a problem with these clips and I don't know anyone else who has had one. You can remove the strap in a couple of seconds but they are secure when fixed. I think the later ones may even have had a safety catch. The only reason they possibly have not been copied is that they were patented by Franke and Heidecke but that must have expired by now. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!