Buying a Leica M ( 262) reasons

imants

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think I'll probably get this camera. However without being a party pooper I would have liked live view, simply as it's the best way to test new/old lenses for being set with the rangefinder correctly, and of course periodic checks of the internal rangefinder generally

Why not get the 240 or the M-P in that case? You could probably get a really good deal on either of them at the moment as all the emphasis seems to be on the SL, Q and the 262... 

Its pretty much the same, will have everything you need and the only thing you won't use will be video... and since I switched my video off on the menu the day I bought it, I don't even remember its there any more...!

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 2

The parts and system are similar- and the framelines/patch move the same way. The only difference is the illumination by a LED instead of by a window. Leds are not really power consuming and rarely burn out. I must confess I rather like the new framelines, I have set them to red to match the display and in that colour they are not overly bright. YMMV.

Someone very recently posted on here a thread about flickering framelines.  It's an LED, it's circuitry, it's a switch, etc etc, none of which were required with the window illumination.  Plus those were visible at all times and did not require waking the camera up to see them.  So even if the LED's don't consume much power on their own,  they do require that the camera be on and awake and that does consume significant power. 

As to the red one's, I find them distracting after 45 years with white one's. 

This model comes close to what i wanted. No liveview (i know, you can turn it off, but i just don't want it to be there), no holes for microphones, EVF connector etc., no silver knobs i won't be using and most of all: no video!

This may sound silly to some, but i like a clean and simple camera. Two pages in the menu is more then enough for me.

Only thing that i miss is the optical framelines. But i might like the electronic ones eventualy...

• Like 1

Someone very recently posted on here a thread about flickering framelines.  It's an LED, it's circuitry, it's a switch, etc etc, none of which were required with the window illumination.  Plus those were visible at all times and did not require waking the camera up to see them.  So even if the LED's don't consume much power on their own,  they do require that the camera be on and awake and that does consume significant power. 

As to the red one's, I find them distracting after 45 years with white one's. 

Power consumption is hardly an issue for me, particularly with the larger battery.  And I'd be surprised if anything breaks...that could be said about any part....I'm sure not seeing a trend.  I haven't had a single mechanical issue with either my M8.2 or M240, so my reaction is predicated on my own experience, which might not mirror that of some others.

It's also possible that the internal illumination provides greater VF contrast, which might assist with the already improved RF (which I notice; others not).  I happen to like the white lines, having used them for decades, and alway press the shutter before I bring the camera to my eye anyway.  

Of course we each have different preferences and wish lists.  Recent posts regarding the absence of the preview lever generated expected debate.  Not to mention the many discussions regarding JPEG/DNG.   ;)

Jeff

Only thing that i miss is the optical framelines. But i might like the electronic ones eventualy...

The framelines are the same, it's just they're illuminated by an LED vs natural light gathered through a translucent window.  Other than them being always too bright, and requiring the camera to be powered up and awake, they function the same way as before.

I haven't had a single mechanical issue with either my M8.2 or M240

It's also possible that the internal illumination provides greater VF contras

I haven't either, with M8, M9 or 2x M240's.  Hoping I didn't just jinx myself.

And for me the LED framelines are ok in bright light, but in dim light (in which focusing becomes more problematic) the LED framelines are so bright they cause my pupil to constrict, making it even more difficult for me to see the images in the rangefinder.  I've gotten used to it I guess, but on those occasions I've used someone else's M9 in the same dim light, the M9 seems easier for me to focus.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It would be better to use the red frame lines in low light, white in daylight.

If I need to protect night vision and need a light to find something, I would use a red filter on the torch (flashlight). Basic night training.

Your pupils will contract with white light...and they will take a while to dilate again. Much less so with red, and a far faster recovery time back to full night vision.

The new frame lines are very clear on the 240... they are not reliant on ambient light and you seem to have more contrast in the viewfinder as you don't have an extraneous oblique light source. Which makes focussing easier.

I think they are a great improvement... but I DO miss the second 'window' on the front of the camera... a lot!

it's what made it recognisable as a Leica 

• Like 1

It would be better to use the red frame lines in low light, white in daylight.

Perhaps, but going into the menu and switching them every time I go from outdoors to indoors and back again seems like it would get old pretty quick, and drive home the point even more that the old system didn't need fixing.

Perhaps, but going into the menu and switching them every time I go from outdoors to indoors and back again seems like it would get old pretty quick, and drive home the point even more that the old system didn't need fixing.

I just keep them on red all the time. Paradoxically, I find the red frame-lines both unobtrusive and easy to frame with.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 3

There are other things you would change when going from outdoor to indoor. Having them on a user profile makes light work.

The only thing(s) I might change would be aperture and shutter speed, neither of which are settable in user profiles.  Plus I have heard of user profiles re-setting themselves at will.  I have set controls manually for 45+ years and prefer to continue to do so.  Never set a user profile on any camera, no intention of ever doing so.

I just keep them on red all the time. Paradoxically, I find the red frame-lines both unobtrusive and easy to frame with.

YMMV.  I find the red framelines difficult to use in any light. The thing I like about the M240 is it is basically a digital version of the same interface I've been using for decades.  To me the red lines are unnerving. 

The parts and system are similar- and the framelines/patch move the same way. The only difference is the illumination by a LED instead of by a window. Leds are not really power consuming and rarely burn out. I must confess I rather like the new framelines, I have set them to red to match the display and in that colour they are not overly bright. YMMV.

One nice thing about the LEDs is that you can set different colors to match a profile you have set.   The different color reminds you that you are in that profile, so if you have forgotten, you can go back to where you want to be.   As an example, I have a profile set for bracketing, and for Auto ISO.  Neither is used much and when you don't want them used, it is nice to be reminded.

• Like 2

YMMV.I find the red framelines difficult to use in any light. The thing I like about the M240 is it is basically a digital version of the same interface I’ve been using for decades.  To me the red lines are unnerving.

MMDV... I rather like the red framelines and have them set all the time...

That's a great idea, Alan. I have to admit that I don't use user profiles much because they can't be named and I can't remember which profile is which. But using the frame lines color will get me a way to identify at least two profiles...

One nice thing about the LEDs is that you can set different colors to match a profile you have set.   The different color reminds you that you are in that profile, so if you have forgotten, you can go back to where you want to be.   As an example, I have a profile set for bracketing, and for Auto ISO.  Neither is used much and when you don't want them used, it is nice to be reminded.

I won't buy one, but only because I just bought (April 2015) a new M-E.  I plan on enjoying what I have for at least three years, but who knows, if the M262 is still in the catalog and at discounted prices (paid only $4200 for my M-E new) I may end up with one anyway.

Linking the colour to the indoor and outdoor profiles is enough.

You need to switch these profiles anyway.

I had an M240 loaner for a month while my M-E was in for sensor replacement.  Honestly the only things I really noticed about th frame lines were that they didn't work when the camera was off and that they were accurate for 2 meters instead of 1.5.   I didn

t like the former, and loved the latter.

Im not even sure what color they were, didn't pay much attention to it.