D Lux 109 vs. X Vario

I have used the dlux for the past 10 months. While it is portable, it's not small enough to be "pocketable". In terms of IQ it falls short of what the X and Xv files i have seen. Pleasant to use but miles of the Leica user experience (my main camera is a m9). i am thinking of replacing my dlux with an X or XV (and am even looking at a ricoh gr for full pocketability ;-))

Fair enough comments.  I will sell it if it is disappointing. Used an RX 100 III last summer and liked it for convenience and quality, though it did not yield results close enough to the Leica 113, which I do love.  So, sold it on the secondary market. 

Awaiting the D Lux to see if it is an improvement on the RX, as it does have a larger sensor.  Thank you for your comments.

I'll be very interested to see how well the Q's image quality compares to the XV's. Given the Q's viewfinder, full-frame, and relative simplicity of fixed focal length that I can then crop at leisure in Photoshop, it would be my perfect camera, _if_ its IQ compares to the XV's.

Well I think the Q should give superior image quality to the smaller sensor in the XV; a prime lens always has a slight margin over a zoom lens and sensor size does make a difference. But the Q when cropped is going to be much closer to the XV because it sacrifices that sensor size advantage.

I'll be very interested to see how well the Q's image quality compares to the XV's. Given the Q's viewfinder, full-frame, and relative simplicity of fixed focal length that I can then crop at leisure in Photoshop, it would be my perfect camera, _if_ its IQ compares to the XV's.

The Q is terrific!  Having an internal evf is terrific!  Autofocus is very fast. The 1.7 aperture is terrific. The ability to separate subject from background and the bokeh is wonderful. Low light performance is excellent. Superior ability to crop with 24 mp.

While it is hard to differentiate a super sharp image from the LV with the Q (on a computer monitor), the Q gives one so much more ability to obtain that super sharp image in so many more situations, and the usage is so much more convenient. 

So many positives on the Q, and not to take away from the LV, but the Q is the next iteration of advancement.

My main shooter is a M240.

I have a X2 I use as a secondary. Image quality is great. But what they really need is a Dlux with a crop sensor. To me the XV isn't fast enough and the aperture range is disappointing.

I just recently pre ordered a D lux in grey to try out.

My main shooter is a M240.

I have a X2 I use as a secondary. Image quality is great. But what they really need is a Dlux with a crop sensor. To me the XV isn't fast enough and the aperture range is disappointing.

I just recently pre ordered a D lux in grey to try out.

I never  imagined ever giving up my X2, but, the X113 was a definitive improvement on it, just as the Q is on the X113.  Despite buying a Q, I still was not able to bring myself to part with the x113, but I did finally say goodbye to the X2 in making the Q purchase.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I never  imagined ever giving up my X2, but, the X113 was a definitive improvement on it, just as the Q is on the X113.  Despite buying a Q, I still was not able to bring myself to part with the x113, but I did finally say goodbye to the X2 in making the Q purchase.

I've tried the Q and it is better than X113 in every way, but not enough to justify the upgrade.

I've tried the Q and it is better than X113 in every way, but not enough to justify the upgrade.

I certainly appreciate your thoughts, but not sure that I agree with your conclusion. (Of course, I have purchased the Q so suppose I need to justify it, lol!)

In all seriousness, the more I have used the Q (and I am by no means anything more than a hobbyist) the more I have come to love having the internal evf, the fast auto focus, and the full frame 24 mp. Whether to 'spend' the money to upgrade is indeed a personal decision as "it is better in every way", as you say.  If you get more keepers at the end of the day does that make it worthwhile?  For me, yes, but perhaps for others, no. 

In image quality terms you made a good decision. The deal-breaker for me, however, is that the successor X models have just got bigger. That is why I have never parted with my X1. It wins on its compact size and it will fit in my jacket pockets when out on a non-photography trip. The X113 has a superior specification apart from its relative bulkiness.

• Like 1

In image quality terms you made a good decision. The deal-breaker for me, however, is that the successor X models have just got bigger. That is why I have never parted with my X1. It wins on its compact size and it will fit in my jacket pockets when out on a non-photography trip. The X113 has a superior specification apart from its relative bulkiness.

Yes, I would agree with you completely.  

And, fickle as I am I'll probably end up with another X2!  The Q was expensive so trading the X2 became a much easier decision at that moment.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Having now tried a D Lux 109, I decided to sell it on the secondary market. Image quality was quite nice, and jpegs ooc were excellent. Not quite a pocket camera but still fairly portable. Nonetheless, the XV, X113, and X2  deliver superior image quality.

My biggest gripe, however, was the Panasonic menu system. I just never could get comfortable with it and that was my primary reason for bailing on the D Lux 109. 

The D-lux 109 image quality is excellent. I use it along with my MP240. For a camera this size, the lens is incredible, and the 12mp files are very good to work with. The EVF is also extremely functional and bright.  The X's have a bigger lens, less bright and the Vario has less range. What they do have is a bigger sensor. Image quality is going to be better but at a cost of portability, less range, and speed, and no built in EVF.

I considered the X-vario but the D-lux for me was a more versatile camera that I can always carry with me. The IQ still manages to surprise me.

It really depends on what you use if for, and what other equipment you have, or plan to have.

But I agree the menus are a bit too much, the manual is also confusing. But I configured and customized it so that the camera is ready to go the way I want it -  no need to revisit the menus often after that.