Leica SL Image Thread ...post your examples here ....

thighslapper

Driving along one of Bangkok's busiest expressways last week, the sky glowed from a huge festival at a large suburban temple. This weekend, I visited the temple and produced a short photo essay. See some of the bizarre "blessing" rituals in the middle of the essay. Click on the first image, then step through them with the arrow key or a finger swipe. Captions below each image.

http://www.peterwalker.com/festival2016.html

That's a nice set of photos, Peter, and I like the presentation. 

It might be nice, however, to post one or two representative examples of the set with your message on this thread, followed by the link to the full set. That puts some of the work on display here and will likely draw more viewers to visit your site to see the full collection. 

Dreaming of Summer. (SL with APO Cron 90/2.0)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Thanks. The moon (about quarterly lit by the sun) was low on the sky, giving the texture on the mountain slopes. I did some exposures a few minutes later, and the landscape is much more evenly illuminated, loosing the relaxing relief effect.

The same scene was captured with the M246+28Lux combo as well, but I have not had time too look at those images. The intention was to compare the low light/long exposure properties of the two sensors, the monochrome supposedly superior to the SL putting the colours aside. More soon...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's a nice set of photos, Peter, and I like the presentation. 

It might be nice, however, to post one or two representative examples of the set with your message on this thread, followed by the link to the full set. That puts some of the work on display here and will likely draw more viewers to visit your site to see the full collection. 

Thanks for the advice.  I will do next time.

...and here a quick comparison between the SL and M246 sensors for images taken a few minutes apart (the colour image is posted a little up in this thread, the b&w image is posted here).

This is not intended to be a rigorous test, but it is what I get out of the files after a little postprocessing. The sharpness, details and shadows of the M246 are stunning - for instance with a with a far more densely populated Milky Way ;) - but the SL holds up quite well. Who knows what the next colour version of M will look like...

For the sake of clarity: The tripod was heavy and very stable, put on icy snow, in no wind, with the operator standing absolutely still, so differences in sharpness are not caused by vibration (neither by sharpening/noise reduction, both applied only weakly to the files, nor by mis-focussing).

Edited by helged
  • Like 7

We've been discussing some of the weakness of the Leica SL on-camera flash system in another thread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/256231-flash-performance-very-disappointing-on-the-sl/

The SL certainly does have some gaps in its flash firmware, including its inability to manage the flash in Aperture mode and some strange behaviour with Flash Exposure Compensation.

However, it's not all bad news.

Last week I was visiting a friend in Northeast Thailand.  His step-daughter loves singing.  Outside, one evening, she sang a few songs.  It was way too dark to take a photo without flash (I don't like shooting above ISO 3200).  So, I popped on the SF40, switched to T mode at 1/60s, set the FEC to -2/3, pointed the flash head straight up at the white ceiling and fired off a few shots.  I chimpped the first image to see I was getting usable images.

Here is one of the images:

I think you'll agree that it is a well-balanced flash image.

Hopefully, Leica are working on the FW fixes to improve the flash usability, especially A mode and FEC set on the flash dial...

Regards

Peter

• Like 5

Looks fine to me! 

I've done very very little flash work with either the SL (or M-P, for that matter). However, when I do I usually set up a couple of flash units on stands with radio remote triggers, set exposure manually, bounce the light off ceilings/walls, and just tweak the exposure until I know what settings work for the space. To me, flash is so easy with instant review and without the complexity of auto this and that systems to learn, understand, and figure out how to use... 

Yeah, call me a flash Luddite...  :rolleyes:

I bought a Thambar today....

• Like 3

Fighting for the seeds in blowing snow at minus 20 (deg C). SL+24-90.

• Like 11

Have rented the 24-90 SL lens. Being a long time M-lens user this is quite an adjustment. First impressions: it's a tool that will get shots you wouldn't get otherwise; I don't enjoy using it that much.  (This has been cross-posted to getdpi.)

90mm, f/8, 1/80, ISO 400

24774735960_7d34b136b7_b.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday visited Leica Society friend and Leica Forum member Tony Winkless .. and used my secondhand Leica SL and Canon FD 85/1.2 L for his portrait:

Second image is straight crop of first - and 'halo' left in! 

Leica SL, Canon FD 85/1.2L, mixed ambient light in Tony's study - ISO 800, 1/400sec  f1.2  …  Utilising JInFinance FD to M, plus Leica M to T adapters. 

Best wishes

dunk

• Like 5