APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90–280 mm f/2.8–4 —Just the facts please

Guest Nowhereman

Do you think Leica would make a 1.4X tele-extender for the 90-280?

Alternatively, could it be used with any of the tele-extenders for R lenses?

R extenders would require a SL to R adapter. I don't know how such an adapter could work, since the native SL lenses are designed to be mounted directly to the camera.  Then the adapter itself would increase the sensor to back of lens distance and would act like an extension tube making focus at infinity quite difficult if not impossible.  Maybe some of the engineers here can shed some light but I think the answer to the second question is "no."

1- It's certainly possible.

2- No, this is impossible due to the mechanics of the lens mount. 

It will be no to both questions.

Leica has to expand its lens catalog over the coming years and an extender -with  near certainty- will be a long way down the list. The location of the rear element might make a 1.4x extender technically impossible as well.

An R extender will not fit - period. It could only work if you would swop the mounting rings (and  supposng the rear element would not be in the way), but there are no Leitax-like options for this.

• Like 1

An R extender will not fit - period. It could only work if you would swop the mounting rings (and  supposng the rear element would not be in the way), but there are no Leitax-like options for this.

You'd also need to add electronic contacts at both ends so the aperture and focus work, and alter the optical formula to account for the shorter flange-to-sensor distance.  Seriously no-go.

Having been on numerous safaris, both photographic and hunting, I find that the best combination for me is an M around camp and the villages and an SLR for animals and birds.  

Since I like to have a film camera with me (personal taste and reliability), I use a Nikon F6 and the amazingly fast focusing 300 f2.8VR (great for flying birds and running cheetas) , along with a teleconverter (TC-20E) for distant duty.  I find I use a mix of auto and manual focusing with it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am pretty sure a SL 2X extender will come.

A SL 1,4X extender will be more complicated I guess.

A SL 2X extender should work with many of the lenses adaptable on the SL.

Bellow you will find links to some pictures showing the prototype of the SL 90+280.

More specifically the lens hood, the tripod feet and the big screw locking the rotating tripod collar.

According to Leica :

- The lens has a removable tripod plate for attaching it to a tripod. Its ergonomic design makes the lens easier to carry by hand and allows the attachment of a lens belt. A lockable rotating tripod collar allows the lens to be fixed at any angle. The collar has detents every 90 degrees for rapid switching from landscape to portrait format. -

The - removable tripod plate for attaching it to a tripod - is to high for good stability imho, and a bit to angular to be comfortable..

I hope that RRS will design a lower foot replacement, more ergonomically designed, and directly compatible with the Arca-Swiss quick release system.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/976e5f8230b160fba02d098d6495a5a7/tumblr_nwmp1z8ayU1seme6io1_1280.jpg

http://img1.focus-numerique.com/focus/news/8/8102/leica-interview-steffen-skopp-stephan-schulz-1.jpg

http://sumandup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/wpid-20151020_2007470.jpg

http://www.muro.fr/communities/5/000/001/355/035/images/1003176520.jpg

Edited by Leicaiste
  • Like 2

It is a little bigger than I hoped it might be. With the excellent high ISO of the SL, I would have been tempted to make the lens a little slower, say f3.5 to f5 but a bit more compact. Nevertheless I have had one on order since last month. I will sell my 80-200/f4-R, which I rarely use. 

Wilson

Thanks. This lens is what I've had my eye on since the SL was announced. For the moment I'm using the 80-200R: it is heavy, but manageable. The 90-280 looks perhaps a bit larger, but should be similarly manageable.

I was thinking along the same lines as you until I started comparing the images and known specs of the 90-280 to the long R zooms that I own (70-180, 80-200 & 105-280).

The 80-200R is actually a fairly compact lens for it's focal length. As you know if you have them both, the 24-90 SL lens is actually larger in volume and heavier than the 80-200R.

Bottom line - the 90-280 is going to be huge - probably 20-30% larger than the 105-280R, which is not a small lens. It will dwarf the 80-200R.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update on my current thinking on my toying in the original post with the idea of buying the SL and the 90-280 lens for an African wildlife trip next September or October. Then, in post no. 4, I suggested that I might factor out the huge cost of buying this by selling the SL and the 90-280 after the safari. But I'd better get real, as I am bad at selling camera equipment: I have still haven't sold my Nikkor 200-400mm f/4 EDIF AF-S VR Lens that I bought in 2009 — whenever I had a buyer I was on the wrong continent: when I had a buyer in France, the lens was in the States; when I had a buyer in the States, I was in Asia. So, for this reason, and taking on board some of the helpful suggestions made earlier in this thread, I'd better drop the idea of the SL and the 90-280. (As I have an M9-P and an M-Monochfrom, I had no interest in the SL except to use it with the 90-280).

One alternative, as I wrote earlier in this thread, is to buy the Nikon 7200 and use the Nikon 70-200VR with the TC14e (1.4x) tele-coverter (if my son still has this lens). That would give me an EFOV of 420mm (with the 1.4x tele-extender).

Another alternative that I'm beginning to look at is to get the new Fujifilm X-Pro2 and the new Fujifilm100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR. The latter lens would give a maximum EFOV of 600mm. I should add that I'm not considering using my  Nikkor 200-400mm with the D7200 because it's simp[ly too heavy for me. And selling the Nikkor 200-400mm (when I get around to it) will more than pay for the XPro2 and the  Fujifilm100-400mm.

not_a_hero,

Having been to Botswana a few times for wildlife photos, I would suggest that the 200-400 Nikkor ultimately might be your best  lens on a d7200 (or similar) - I know it is VERY heavy. The 70-200, even with the 1,4 converter may be a bit on the short side especially for bird photography. Most serious bird photographers use a 500 or 600mm lens. The same applies when photographing birds, hippos and elephants from a boat (a "wow" experience) on the Chobe river. If you have not planned the latter, I would certainly consider it - there are quite a few operators that run dedicated photo boats with gimbal mounts for long lenses and swivel seats.

Kind regards from South Africa, Martin

Problem with long lenses on a boat in my experience is that your platform is not stable - you need a bit of luck to get your shot) An other non photography related potential problem  is that an angry Hippo might get into wide-angle range. Trust your guide in that case...

I was thinking along the same lines as you until I started comparing the images and known specs of the 90-280 to the long R zooms that I own (70-180, 80-200 & 105-280).

The 80-200R is actually a fairly compact lens for it's focal length. As you know if you have them both, the 24-90 SL lens is actually larger in volume and heavier than the 80-200R.

Bottom line - the 90-280 is going to be huge - probably 20-30% larger than the 105-280R, which is not a small lens. It will dwarf the 80-200R.

The weight is even more important. Right now the 105-280 is about the limit of what I am prepared to carry. If truth be told, even a bit beyond it nowadays.

not_a_hero,

Having been to Botswana a few times for wildlife photos, I would suggest that the 200-400 Nikkor ultimately might be your best  lens on a d7200 (or similar) - I know it is VERY heavy. The 70-200, even with the 1,4 converter may be a bit on the short side especially for bird photography. Most serious bird photographers use a 500 or 600mm lens. The same applies when photographing birds, hippos and elephants from a boat (a "wow" experience) on the Chobe river. If you have not planned the latter, I would certainly consider it - there are quite a few operators that run dedicated photo boats with gimbal mounts for long lenses and swivel seats.

Kind regards from South Africa, Martin

Thanks, Martin. You bring up valid points that I'll have to think about.

Now, I was in Botswana in 2009 and, come to think of it, I had to crop almost all my bird pictures take with the 70-200 plus 1.4x converter — even of large birds, as well as a picture of yawning hippo. However, like jaap, I've gotten too long in the tooth to use the 200-400 Nikkor — and shall have to sell it when I get around to it. That's why I want to consider the Fujifilm 100-400, of which this morning I saw a rather convincing video in which it was being used handheld by a sports photographer shoot at the 400 mm length (600 mm EFOV) — the OIS capability appeared to be very good — but that has to further investigated. 

We haven't yet decided where to go. Apart from Botswana, we've been to Namibia — and many years ago, when we lived for two years in Uganda, and were young, we went camping all over East Africa, pitching our tent anywhere, when it was still safe to that. At that time I shot with a Leica IIIf and the only telephoto I had was 135 mm.

jaapv, not_a_hero,

The photo tour operators are actually very good in getting the boats (specially adapted for photography) to be still in the water when taking pictures. I used the 200-400 on a d7000 and had no problems. Some of my friends had the 600mm/f4 and also did well on a d4. But they were all on gimbal bearings on the boat to provide you with a very steady platform - without a gimbal you will be seriously challenged. As regards the hippos - the photo tour operators are VERY, VERY wary of them and keep a safe distance. The elephants are a different issue - they are on land, you are on a boat and you can get very close to them. Here a 70-200 is sufficient. On a few occasions I even had to resort to my 24-70 to get the complete elephant in the frame.

Kind regards, Martin

I was trying to use my Vario Elmarit 80-200 R on both my M240 and on an Olympus EP-5 (EFOV 160-400) on a boat trip on Periyar Lake in south India. I was using a monopod. This was before I had my 80-200 serviced by Will van Manen and the focus ring had little to no resistance. What with the vibration of the boat (3½ cylinder diesel) and people moving about making the wooden slat floor bounce up and down and the floppy focus ring, my success rate was not high. On my return, I bought a 75-300 (150-600 EFOV) Tele-Zuiko EM Mk.2 AF lens. With the excellent 5 axis image stabilisation of the EP-5, I have found I can use this hand held in bright sunlight. Its ultimate image making abilities may not be as high as the Vario Elmarit but the hit rate of usable images is a lot higher. I have a 90-280 on order (hopefully #1 in the queue at my dealer) and I would really like it for my trip to Myanmar in March but I think I would be very lucky to have it by then. I have heard a whisper that release may have been put back to 2nd quarter now due to demand for the 24-90. 

Wilson

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/9c56b749/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"> </script>

I was trying to use my Vario Elmarit 80-200 R on both my M240 and on an Olympus EP-5 (EFOV 160-400) on a boat trip on Periyar Lake in south India. I was using a monopod. This was before I had my 80-200 serviced by Will van Manen and the focus ring had little to no resistance. What with the vibration of the boat (3½ cylinder diesel) and people moving about making the wooden slat floor bounce up and down and the floppy focus ring, my success rate was not high. On my return, I bought a 75-300 (150-600 EFOV) Tele-Zuiko EM Mk.2 AF lens. With the excellent 5 axis image stabilisation of the EP-5, I have found I can use this hand held in bright sunlight. Its ultimate image making abilities may not be as high as the Vario Elmarit but the hit rate of usable images is a lot higher. I have a 90-280 on order (hopefully #1 in the queue at my dealer) and I would really like it for my trip to Myanmar in March but I think I would be very lucky to have it by then. I have heard a whisper that release may have been put back to 2nd quarter now due to demand for the 24-90. 

Wilson

Hi Wilson.  Works really well on my OM-D cameras!   :D