What is you M Back up?

freitz

I still have my 5D3 but overall cut down to keeping the 24-70 2.8 II and 85L lens. It's collecting dust but I do enjoy what the 85L lens can do with that body.

I also have a Sony A7R with the canon and Leica lens adapters too. As well as the native Sony 16-35 F4 lens.

They all collect dust compared to my M240, but they each can serve a different purpose for me depending on what I want to shoot :)

Sony a6000 with M lens adapter.  I was somewhat forced into this choice.  While on a cruise, discovered that my M9 had the dreaded sensor corrosion problem.  Visited a couple of photo shops along the way, and finally found a reasonable alternative in Bergen, Norway.  It's a light, compact camera that would let me use the M lenses.  The M9 has since been repaired by Leica, but I really missed the full frame and CCD look of the M9 on the cruise.  I did get a lot of use with the Sony and 90mm Summarit.  Good focal length (about 135mm equivalent) for cruising in and out of the fjords and ports.  It took me a time to get used to the a6000, but due to its size and weight, will probably keep it as a backup.  It has a couple of advantages such as eye recognition and focusing, which may help with snapshots of the grandkids.

The only time I have ever contemplated wanting to bring a backup would be for something like an African safari type trip. If I were a photojournalist, I would most certainly want some sort of backup on me.

Otherwise, it is likely that I could just find a replacement camera I could be happy with for a while in whatever city I am in. Or, more likely, I would just use by Galaxy S6 phone camera, which is pretty darn impressive. At web sizes or 8x10 prints, I think a lot of people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a shot with that camera an any bigger camera shot at f/8 with a 28mm-ish lens (edit: in GOOD LIGHT).

To me a camera is a tool for a specific purpose. I use a Leica for street/urban stuff, where I want to zone focus and frame quickly. For landscape, I have used in the past 8x10 film, but now I take a DSLR with a 20mm lens and use my phone when I want something less wide or when the DSLR is inconvenient. For portraits, it can be a Leica or a DSLR or even a phone for grab shots. 

In sum, since I am not shooting assignments and given today's technology (in terms of quality and availability of finding something that works in a pinch), for me it doesn't make sense to have a backup of the same camera or, most of the time, to even carry a backup.

Edited by John Perkins

Ricoh GR, fits in my pocket and the images are difficult to tell from an M9, when I am hiking at the end of the day and fatigue is setting in the Leica is put in the pack and the GR is primary, phenomenal little camera.   The new Rx1RII is very compelling but it's half way $$ to a new M next year so I might wait.