OS vs Non OS image quality

sturkel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good Day,

I had the opportunity to use the Q on an event last night along side my Nikon gear.  Just a couple of observations I wanted to share.

It seems to me there is a substantial difference in image quality by NOT using the OS at normal shutter speeds, 125 or so. During my set up shots at the reception,  I was not pleased with the images I was seeing on the display.  Decided to turn off the OS and what a difference this made.  I have yet to process the raw files but just in looking at the Jpegs I could see the difference.

The Q focus is spot on, in low light.  I had no problem at all in locking on using single point mode during  the dance sets. Camera never hunted for focus.  Having used the A7ii for a couple of months I can say the Q focuses much better than the Sony.

• Like 1

I thought I read that it does not use the IS for video and instead uses a software IS. At lower shutter speeds it helps to produce sharper images. At higher shutter speeds it seems to degrade the image. Cut off appears to be around 1/30 to 1/60. 

• Like 1

I took the time to watch the video interview with Michael Reichman and it was mentioned that there is some loss of image quality when using the OS.  As many have said with a fast lens and decent ISO really no need for the OS unless extreme circumstances.

I assume it was just one of those check boxes under specs you need to have these days.

Could someone please explain how the stabilization affects IQ? Does the image lose sharpness? More distortion?

I understand it may be a good idea to turn OS off for critical shooting, but does it even matter if shooting on a tripod?

I mean, how are we supposed to decide whether to raise ISO to 25600 or turn on/off OS without knowing how it degrades the images?

I think taking a number of test shots ought to be straight forward. Do several shots of a static scene, some with and some without OS, tripods and so on, and at different ISO values.

If there are obvious differences, you will notice them and can easily determine if you would put up with the artifacts, if any. If you do not notice any difference, then I do not see how they can matter to you, even if they were there.

I understand it may be a good idea to turn OS off for critical shooting, but does it even matter if shooting on a tripod?

Especially when the camera is mounted on a tripod! You will find that every camera or lens vendor recommends to turn off the stabiliser in that case.

I agree 100%, I had the Sony 28 FE lens as used for events low light conditions, receptions, etc.

I had hopes for this system to replace my Nikons but the focus was truly hot or miss.  I understand the 7S is much better in low light.

I agree 100%, I had the Sony 28 FE lens as used for events low light conditions, receptions, etc.

I had hopes for this system to replace my Nikons but the focus was truly hot or miss.  I understand the 7S is much better in low light.

The Q focusing is indeed very good, if not excellent. I also have the Sony A7s and FE28 (bought this lens before the Q was released) and it focuses down to -4EV whereas the A7II only goes down to -1EV which is a big difference and really noticeable as my A7s will focus accuratley in near darkness.

I have only rarely used OS on the Q and in fact leica's default setting is to have it off.

Edited by viramati