Should I keep my new, used S006?

bevdig

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a retired advertising photographer who has used a Contax 645 and a Leaf digital back for many years; both are now orphan products but do work perfectly, and produce fine images. I decided to take advantage of the Leica to Contax lens adapter, and purchased a used S006 in mint condition along with the adapter. This too works perfectly and I am happy with having a camera that can still be repaired, has professional service, etc. I can return the camera if need be.

In joining the Leica Forum, I see that S series cameras with CCDs are vulnerable to CCD corrosion, and my camera may have a small spot where that shows up. So of course I am worried that the problem will only get worse, making the camera unusable without a sensor repair, with all the cost and delay that goes with that. The single spot I notice is minor and easily corrected in post.

Speaking as a professional who uses cameras in that way, reliability is paramount, and it is disappointing to see trouble in such an otherwise fine system. So what would you suggest, return the camera and adapter and live with my shaky old Contax system, or live with the sensor uncertainty and just shoot away, or some strategy in the middle?  Your comments and thoughts most welcome.

Not sure if you recommend returning the camera or just living with a small defect. I purchased the camera off eBay from a West-Coast dealer/source. My concern would be that the camera is part of a larger batch that was returned for sensor issues.

I guess, if you were starting with a sensor with no visible defect, you can estimate what the prevalence of the defect appearing is, that is how many cameras may have been sold compared to fault reports.

However, as  the defect is there at some level, in your place I would return the camera. I am not aware of any sensor defects with the S (Typ 007) and I would consider finding one instead once you have your refund towards it.

That sure looks like corrosion to me - same amoeba looking pattern I saw with my 006.   Having owned a 006 that had sensor corrosion, and having waited more than nine months for a sensor replacement by Leica, I agree with what others have recommended, i.e., return the 006 and pick up a 007.  You will save yourself a lot of time and frustration, and I feel certain you will be happy with the 007.  I have owned S2, S006, and now have the S007, which, for my use, is a better camera than the others, especially in challenging light.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is the conclusion of the rather tangled story of my transition to the Leica S camera. Leica NJ sent the S/N of the 006 I purchased to Germany and the word back was that the camera had the original CCD sensor. Furthermore, the service department said the only way to determine if there was sensor corrosion would be to send the camera back to Germany, at which point they could, if needed, install a new sensor which I would have to pay for. With that in mind, and taking the advice of everyone on this site, I returned the camera and got a full refund.

At that point I concluded a 007 was the only sensible path forward, but with all the trouble I encountered with the 006 I was skittish about buying off of ebay or from private sources. Keep in mind that I had a nice selection of Contax 645 Zeiss lenses that I had used on that camera for decades, which I could use with the adapter on a Leica S. Into the picture stepped Josh at the Leica Miami store, and he really took over the situation. He offered me a refurbished 007 coming in from Germany with a new outer covering, cleaned sensor and a warranty, all of which was at a reasonable  price. He also took care of some weird issues I was having with the adapter. Josh gets an unqualified thumbs up from me for a messy situation that had almost convinced me to abandon the Leica brand.

I am still getting my "sea legs" with the 007 but so far all is working out and the camera is a big step up from my Contax 645. I have attached a single photograph which demonstrates, I think, the wide dynamic range of the 007 in an impossible lighting situation. It is just a straight pull off the camera with minor adjustments, using the 80mm Zeiss lens and no exposure adjustments at all.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

It was a beautiful demonstration of CCD associated corrosion!

Glad you got your money back!!!

Josh at Leica Miami is a giant!

He and David are two of the most conscientious, knowledgeable and thoughtful dealers I have ever worked with....

Albert 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, albertknappmd said:

It was a beautiful demonstration of CCD associated corrosion!

Glad you got your money back!!!

Josh at Leica Miami is a giant!

He and David are two of the most conscientious, knowledgeable and thoughtful dealers I have ever worked with....

Albert 😃

+1.