M262 vs M240 image quality

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am seeing a few posts by M262 / M-D owners stating that there is slightly improved image quality and even less banding at higher ISOs on the M262 series cameras.

As the cameras are meant to have identical sensors, do we think this is just new owner's biased impressions (nothing wrong with that btw) is could there be something in this?

I didn't do any critical tests, but I feel the M262 may have around one stop advantage at high iso. There is still some faint banding, but a huge improvement over the M240. The color profile is quite different too, with more electric blues and purer reds. With ACR, my standard daylight setting for the M240 is 5300/10, while with the M262, it is 5000/0, both with embedded profile.

The sensor is not the same, by the way. Leica claims it uses different technology, whatever that means.

Edited by edwardkaraa
  • Like 3

I didn't do any critical tests, but I feel the M262 may have around one stop advantage at high iso. There is still some faint banding, but a huge improvement over the M240. The color profile is quite different too, with more electric blues and purer reds. With ACR, my standard daylight setting for the M240 is 5300/10, while with the M262, it is 5000/0, both with embedded profile.

The sensor is not the same, by the way. Leica claims it uses different technology, whatever that means.

Edward - you are right about the blues and reds. I find the M262 colours different enough from the M-P I just sold - to my eye the blues, reds, aquas and purples feel denser. Thorsten Overgaard recently posted two comparative X-Rite colorchecker images that show the colour differences between the 262 and 240 which sold me on the 262. The following dropbox link to a small group of images hopefully illustrate these subtle but apparent colour densities.

All images generated with the M262 + 24mm 3.8 were taken July 6 between 3 and 5 PM around Victoria, BC in direct overhead sunlight (far from ideal) 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/borvrgwfsovpoiz/AADvQ-IsxTfl51btqaCD_i4Fa?dl=0

• Like 8

• 6 months later...

There are two things to be separated here.

The 262 probably has a more stable power management, resulting in less banding and thus better high ISO performance

The colour differences between the two are due to slightly different colour handling in the camera and can be cancelled out completely by the camera profiles in LR.

Possibly Leica got the Bayer filter from a different supplier making the change needed.

• Like 1