What strap are you using for the Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Using the Arte di Mano strap - same color as the half case from them.  Very soft and flexible.

Spectacular workmanship in all their leather goods, with a price tag to match. I have several wrist straps from them as well as a slim minimalist neck strap and a gorgeous half case with grip for my M9. IMHO, they make some of the very finest leather goods I have seen for cameras. Their Rally Volpe leather is incredibly nice to handle and has a great smell to it. But, as someone above pointed out, straps are a very personal thing...

A&A would be my top choice for a wrist strap. Their triangle shape ones are exquisite, as are their silk cord neck straps. I would avoid the copycat nylon rope Street Straps which are no where near as nice. Another source, Mr. Chu on Ebay makes some terrific half cases with built in front grip and thumb bumps that are some of the most comfortable and ergonomic cases out there. The Ebay maker Zobet from Chile makes gorgeous custom half cases for Leica M, Nikon, etc and I'm sure he will make a beauty for the Q if he can find a donor unit for fitting. Luigi of course is always great and a fun character to deal with.

And, for the budget minded, Cam-in makes a very high quality sharply tapered neck strap, skinny at the camera attachment points but with a broader area at the neck that is extremely comfortable as well as relatively inexpensive. It has the perfect balance of minimalism with function in a nicely finished soft leather. That strap is an absolute work horse and is what is on most of my Leicas including the Q. Unfortunately they do not come in black, only light and dark browns. Well worth picking up a few though and spending a half hour wading through the Ebay listings to find them.

Has anyone tried the C-Loop system a Leica Q, and if so which one? There seem to be three varieties ("original", mini, & HD), but none have dimensions on the website.  I can imagine that the "original" one is a bit too large as it is aimed at DSLRs.

I'm tempted to use this system as I often find that a strap attached to the normal camera attachment points gets in the way of my fingers, whereas with the C-Loop system it wouldn't. I wouldn't use the C-Loop strap, but just the attachment device.

TIA

It also is very handy for dropping lens caps, particularly those you slide from the top over the lens hood. Nonetheless, I like mine very much for walks.

Philipp,

aha, I never lost a lenscap that way.

But you are right there are some very flimsy samples on the market. But when I walk and shoot I Keep the lenscap in my bag and never there was any damage on a lens. I always use These metal solid lens Hoods, they increase contrast and very often saved my lenses from damages.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I lost one. When it dropped I thought that was a funny noise to hear in the forest. On the way back I found a lenscap laying on the floor and I realised it was mine. I certainly agree that a lens hood is more important and I never lost one in exactly that way.

I'm using a wrist strap that came with some unremembered P&S camera purchased long ago.  I did improve the strap by wrapping a bit of cord around the strap to create a section about 1 cm long that I can slide up and down to close the strap around my wrist.  It is not fancy.  It works.

It worked for a while.  The Q was just heavy enough to cause the thin strap to be uncomfortable.  I replaced the freebie with the Peak Design Cuff -- many thanks to whomever it was on this thread that mentioned Peak Design.  The Cuff is wide enough (without being too wide) to be much more comfortable than the thin strap I was using.

Edited by marchyman

My Q arrived yesterday and I immediately took my Harry Benz strap and put it on the Q. are it is on my M240.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Pay attention to the strap/lug  ring.  I've just been walking around Mumbai this morning and noticed that one standard ring had completely wound itself off the camera lug. Fortunately I had the wrist strap on as well.  This phenomena of ring detaching from lug was also reported and discussed on the M9 forum quite a few times.  

The ring supplied with the Leica strap and Q is really poor. It's about time that Leica provided better quality and better shaped rings as standard.

disaster avoided this time!  I'm off to find a decent camera store.  

• Like 1

Pay attention to the strap/lug  ring.  I've just been walking around Mumbai this morning and noticed that one standard ring had completely wound itself off the camera lug. Fortunately I had the wrist strap on as well.  This phenomena of ring detaching from lug was also reported and discussed on the M9 forum quite a few times.  

The ring supplied with the Leica strap and Q is really poor. It's about time that Leica provided better quality and better shaped rings as standard.

disaster avoided this time!  I'm off to find a decent camera store.  

+1 regarding the Q's provided lug rings -- although the leather strap itself was good, the overall product seemed quite poor due to the really cheap metal rings supplied.

Regarding the lugs working free, I was thinking maybe applying just a little 'sealer' (e.g., Locktite blue) in between the lug ends/openings (for, say, 1 or 2 mm) would help?  (Pry the rings open a bit, dab a bit of 'sealer' with a toothpick, say, and then wipe off any excess ...)  Of course, this won't work if one changes straps often.  Never tried this ... just a thought ...

• Like 1

Loctite is an anaerobic sealant.  I don't know if it would harden if used as I picture your description.  Better might be to thread a small bit of heat shrink tubing onto the ring and position it at the gap before applying heat.  I think that would work.  Might not be easy, though.

• Like 1