fastcar888

What strap are you using for the Q?

Gordy's Camera Strap cheap and very effective, with the one piece Latigo belt leather design, I used it on a 5D Mark III with a EF70-200L II for over a year and never had any problems, the bumpers are so cheap you can get a dozen at Home Depot for a $1.18, I was more scared to put my Artisan and Artist ACAM-301 on that thing and they're expensive and don't really know if they're practical since they could slip off your wrist if you don't pay attention, almost the same price for the Leica Q grip which i find more of a necessity, rather than my camera looking pimped out.

My Q just had Christmas from Korea.  I went with the wrist strap and half-case by Arte di Mano, and for walk-around photography I will be using this small and stylish Ona Bag.  I think they compliment each other nicely and frankly I like the weathered leather look.  I know these choices are highly personalized by how you use your camera, but for me, I think these accessories are spot on.

IMG_6486

My Q just had Christmas from Korea. I went with the wrist strap and half-case by Arte di Mano, and for walk-around photography I will be using this small and stylish Ona Bag. I think they compliment each other nicely and frankly I like the weathered leather look. I know these choices are highly personalized by how you use your camera, but for me, I think these accessories are spot on.

IMG_6486

Absolutely love your choices. I also have the Arte di Mano case. Minerva Black with Aventino grip. I added the 125 cm strap from them as well. It all works really well for me. Expensive and worth it.

My strap on my new Q is a Harry Benz B Strap that is very flexible even tho constructed of Buffalo leather. I particularly like the way the ends are designed to be thicker so when attached no added protection is needed fo prevent the rings from damaging the camera. 

Hello... I have a Q coming my way in a few days, and would love to sort out a better way to carry a camera.  I know it's a personal thing, but I'm hoping for ideas.  I also realize we create our own problems!  

I prefer a lock-down wrist strap when concentrating on photography and can wrist-carry all day.  When I'm carrying but not actively shooting I like a shoulder strap, and normally carry the camera with the lens to my back because I find that position compact and comfortable, but that also makes it so the camera is upside-down if I slide it around and up to my eye.  

I'm coming from a Nikon D5 and have always found the Nikon AN-4B strap to be just super.  It's smooth nylon and is woven to be 24mm wide in the middle and 12mm near the ends.  Wrapped three times around my wrist it's bombproof.  What ends up happening is that I spend an inordinate amount of time winding and unwinding the camera from my wrist as I switch back and forth from wrist to shoulder.  

I've ordered the Arte di Mano Aventino case in rally volpe color, so of course his Comodo strap will match, but I'm opting for function first.  If I stick with the wrist-wrap method then I'll be happiest with a smooth flexible strap... cotton/nylon.  I'm game for a matching leather strap if the leather is thin and soft enough. 

This looks like the ticket, but is polyester which is a rough webbing material (I've rock/ice climbed for nearly 30 years so know my webbings).  http://shop.sunlows.com/sunlows-ORANGE-NY.html

I've wondered about those sliding of straps that attach thru a D-ring screwed to the tripod socket... omitting the hand carry.

Nikon also makes thinner sizes of tapered-woven nylon straps like AN-7 and AN-CP16... I have a one on a X100s, with both strap ends attached to the right camera lug, which works okay for the smaller X100.

What good system have people worked out for a quick switch from shoulder to wrist?  Is the Arte di Mano Comodo strap thin & flexible enough to use as a wrist-wrap?

Thanks much, Ralph
Edited by ralpheburns

Take a look at the straps from Peak Design.

I use the Peak Design Slide Lite for my Fuji X-Pro 2 and I love it.

I will add the Peak Design Cuff in a few days to carry the camera handheld.

Gruss

Gregor

Gesendet von iPad Pro mit Tapatalk

After 10 months of using the Leica strap--I switched.  I went to my dealer and bought a Fogg flute case (which fits the Q perfectly) a handmade leather wrist strap.  I am in heaven. The leather on the wrist strap is soft and it is easy to put on and take in and out of the case. 

If anyone wants a pic I will post one. 

The stock strap would be perfect, except it is a little too short for me.  A basic thin strap like that is what I need, with no padding or larger piece at the top of the loop.  I have this way of wrapping it around my hand when I'm walking around and shooting that I've been using with Ms for years.  It doesn't interfere with my operating the camera, but it's secure and I couldn't drop it if I tried, also no one could grab it out of hand and run.  But anything too wide or with padding wouldn't work.   Also wear it on my neck or shoulder, so no wrist strap, can't imagine how one would be practical but we're all different I guess!

But I've discovered that if I sit with it around my neck it won't quite reach my lap as I'm on the tall side.  Though it's a lght camera having its weight on my neck for long periods becomes uncomfortable.  I'd like it sit on lap instead, but still be attached to me around my neck.   And I do actually need to sit that way sometimes, already a long post so I won't go into that, nothing too complicated.

So to make a short story long, I need something not wide,, but longer, maybe three inches per side longer so about six inches longer would do it.

The stock strap would be perfect, except it is a little too short for me.  A basic thin strap like that is what I need, with no padding or larger piece at the top of the loop.  I have this way of wrapping it around my hand when I'm walking around and shooting that I've been using with Ms for years.  It doesn't interfere with my operating the camera, but it's secure and I couldn't drop it if I tried, also no one could grab it out of hand and run.  But anything too wide or with padding wouldn't work.   Also wear it on my neck or shoulder, so no wrist strap, can't imagine how one would be practical but we're all different I guess!

But I've discovered that if I sit with it around my neck it won't quite reach my lap as I'm on the tall side.  Though it's a lght camera having its weight on my neck for long periods becomes uncomfortable.  I'd like it sit on lap instead, but still be attached to me around my neck.   And I do actually need to sit that way sometimes, already a long post so I won't go into that, nothing too complicated.

So to make a short story long, I need something not wide,, but longer, maybe three inches per side longer so about six inches longer would do it.

Check out the Angelo Pelle website for straps.  They are available in standard and longer length, which might be long enough.  Some other makers, like Arte Di Mano, can custom specify length if I recall.

My strap on my new Q is a Harry Benz B Strap that is very flexible even tho constructed of Buffalo leather. I particularly like the way the ends are designed to be thicker so when attached no added protection is needed fo prevent the rings from damaging the camera. 

+1

Stevie -

I measure the stock strap at 108cm=42.75inch.  From your description, I think of two possibilities:

Arte di Mano leather Comodo XL:  this is your basic thin leather strap at 120cm=47.24inch x 12mm wide, and Leica Miami stocks them.  That's only 4.5" longer than what you have now, but you could order a custom length directly.  Sejun lines it with no-slip nubuck in either just the center or with full length nubuck (check eBay).  I saw a friend's once and have on order 120cm without nubuck because I prefer to slide the strap back & forth, and time will tell if it's a good pick.   

Aristan & Artisan ACAM-306N, silk rope 120cm x 8mm diameter. But a nicer sounding possibility sounds like their ACAM-310N, EXCEPT that it's currently only offered 98cm long.  It's a 11mm cord that is hollow in the center so it can deform shape... but maybe a shout out to them will yield your custom length.  

Stevie -

Arte di Mano leather Comodo XL:  this is your basic thin leather strap at 120cm=47.24inch x 12mm wide, and Leica Miami stocks them.  That's only 4.5" longer than what you have now, but you could order a custom length directly.  Sejun lines it with no-slip nubuck in either just the center or with full length nubuck (check eBay).  I saw a friend's once and have on order 120cm without nubuck because I prefer to slide the strap back & forth, and time will tell if it's a good pick.   

I am using the Comodo XL and am very pleased with it.  Long enough to hang where I want it to and also over the neck.  Soft leather and narrow to wrap it around my forearm and wrist. Available in a number of colors of leather.

Edited by beauport

I use a custom leather strap, made by my watch strap maker. It's french calf (think Hermes quality, it's soft/spongy and smooth). Both sides of the strap are french calf, so it doesn't stick and is quite comfortable, even in the tropics. 

Box stitched and thin (about 12mm wide). Attached with O rings and no seams or buckles or anything. And I have it 50 inches long, so I can wear it across my body. It hits at about my hip. Perfect for street shooting. And quick to go up to the eye.

For my M cameras I have LeicaTime straps (black, red, green) but until they wear in, they're pretty uncomfortable because they stick. And honestly for the lack of work/effort that goes into the LeicaTime straps, they're quite costly. I'm probably going to replace the straps on my M and SL with straps from my watch maker. But I'll have to have a discussion with him about how to make a good SL strap.

I'm thinking of shark skin for my next strap. That or crocodile/alligator. But it's hard to beat basic black french calf. 

BTW I've owned two Q cameras. The Q I got on launch came with a horrible strap. Cheap leather, something you wouldn't pay 10 bucks for. Then the second Q I bought had a much nicer strap. BUT I didn't even realise until I seen my friend with his Q and the stock strap. Then I went home and checked and it wasn't the same as the first Q I owned.