Early coating of Leitz lenses

Fungus is usually the inner lens elements, damaged coating the outer.

I presume, that removing the fungus damages the coating, too. Probably the fungus already attacked the coating. On this lens the fungus is very small at the periphery, but I don't want to spread it to my other gear by using this lens.

Aren't all glass surfaces coated?

Depends on the design.

Fungus won't infect other lenses, but if they are kept in the same conditions they may develop fungus on their own.

The spores are in the air everywhere.

Fungus won't infect other lenses,

??

Neither other lenses nor camera bodies the fungus infested lens is mounted on?

Is this your opinion?

But if they are kept in the same conditions they may develop fungus on their own.

The spores are in the air everywhere.

I keep them dry but I don't know where the lenses have been kept during the last 60-80 years.

Thanks for your answer anyway.

Regarding fungus, I keep my darkroom and storage area below 50% humidity and at about 70 degrees or less in Winter. Fungus cannot develop in such low humidity.

It has worked so far for fifty years.

That said, I don't let leather anywhere near cameras. I've no use for animal products other than gelatin in photography.

• 1 month later...

John Van Stelten at Focal Point in Colorado does complete CLA and re-coating lenses, including Leica. Visit his website to review his services.

He disassembled the elements, removed the damaged coatings, and re-coated my early screwmount Summicron 5 cm lens, then assembled and collimated it. It is beautiful, looks and functions like new. Rather expensive, but a unique service for restoring old lenses.

I asked him about cleaning and how durable the new coating was. He replied " ... exactly the same coating but much more durable because of the temperature during application! Mag fluoride is mag fluoride and still used along with other chemicals in (multi-coating).  This coating is very durable!  Clean away! "

I am not sure he does projects for non-USA customers unless they have a US mailing address, because he prefers to mail back items from his shop instead of driving to a post office and waiting in line - time is money.