X2,Image Quality

richfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an x1 but assume not so different than the x2...in my opinion in first of  your pictures if you have set the AF to center there is not a point where the camera can fix it, the sea (is nice) is quite uniform there is no contrast. In the second picture it seems me the focus is on the wave but at F5 the foreground si out of focus, probably shooting at F11 you could have more depth of field and have both foreground and sea in focus. Or using the hyper focal, slightly increase iso (200?) set F11, manual focus should give you better results.

But I see it's an old post...so I'm curious if rcerick solved the problem...

robert

• 1 month later...

I also bought a very clean X2 and added an Olympus VF-2 and leather 1/2 case. I was very pleased with  all images I took using my standard setting; i.e., aperture preferred and ISO 200-400. All images were at least equal  to, say excellent, my former Fuji 100

I thought it would be nice backup for my Leica M9-P.

So a few weeks ago, I went to a brunch celebrating a birthday and just to save fiddling around, I set the X2 on Program. Some images were very good and several missed the mark and were a little blurry or the exposure was a little off, etc. 

Lesson learned. Program settings will work most of the time, but not always. Using A or S mode, I seldom shoot below 1/125 sec and adjust for lighting with ISO. P mode makes no allowances for extraneous variables such as camera shake, etc.

I recommend that you learn to use your camera semi-automatic; i.e. A mode or S mode and avoid depending on what some engineer at Leica pre-decided what the optimum settings  should be for you in any given setting or situation.

Edited by jevidon
  • Like 1

As an alternative, you could start with P mode as a first approximation, and then, if necessary, correct aperture and/or shutter speed according to your desired effect.  P exposure mode is not a mind-reader, nor can it cover all possible situations. For focus, hyperfocal often works well for landscapes, depending on the nearness of the desired foreground detail.

I have a X1 and a X Vario. Both give me perfect DNG files, the DNG processed in Lightroom are always beter than the JPGs.

What I see on your data is that you use a low ISO and large aperture (shallow depth of field).

When I'm outdoors with my X1 I use the excellent feature for hyperfcoal distance when manual focus is engaged. That is the green bar showing what is in focus, together with an aperture of F11 i have in focus from 1,5 meter till infinite. Together with an ISO of 400 to avoid camera shake you are set for fast photography never having to wait for autofocus !!!

• Like 2