The one problem with the Leica M-E

Timmyjoe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I bring it along, I don't use my M3 and M6 as much.  Guess it's laziness, or old age, but when I'm traveling and I just bring my film Leicas, they seem to be all I need.  But when I also bring along the M-E, the film Leicas seem to spend most of their time in the camera bag.

Maybe it's that whole instant gratification thing.

Laziness is a very common ailment. I'm a world renowned practicing expert in it :).

Film and digital bring different kinds of gratifications and preferances for those that use both and choice can vary greatly depending on shooting circumstances and goals of picture taking.

Dave (D&A)

Edited by DandA

Hi Tim, for me it's the opposite and now I like to take my time to shoot.

No inflations in "burst" images
No more trouble with sensor or dust
Finished "smooth" and "pixelated" images. I love grain of film :)
My 2 M digital cameras remain mostly at home in my bag Billingham or use

as backup. 

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

For me it is a time restaraint issue mostly. Film bodies and digital are in the bag on holiday. Digital only in the evening after work for example when I am still too much in the fast paced rithm of the digital age, unable to slow down enough to enjoy film. 

To me, they are both enjoyable in their own way. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Oh boy, you touched a sensitive spot. I'm going on vacation with my six year-old son and I have been trying to figure out what to bring. I have an M7, and MP, an M9, and an MM. I also have a Fuji GF670 that's on top of my list for travel.

I had a heart to heart with a photographer friend of mine and together we decided that I will be taking my M9 and my MM with a 35lux and 50lux. That's it. Interchangeable lenses, batteries, and cards, no film going through the X-ray machines, and my friend made a good point in saying: "Take your digital cameras and don't make it a big thing. That way you can enjoy the trip with your son and have an open mind to react to whatever presents itself."

My advice to you is: evaluate what you will encounter during your trip. If it is slow and deliberate shooting you anticipate, bring only your film cameras, if you will encounter events with kids, action, low light etc., bring your digital gear.

Edited by BerndReini

Thanks for all the replies.  Working on a project, traveling cross country, stopping multiple places, talking to folks, shooting pics, back in the car, back on the road.  The M-E just flows better for this kind of a project, at least for me.  Shooting mainly with a 28mm Elmarit, 50 Cron, 50 Lux (night stuff) and 90 Elmarit.  Going well so far, but the two film cameras are staying the the bag and don't seem to happy about it!   :angry:

Thanks for all the replies.  Working on a project, traveling cross country, stopping multiple places, talking to folks, shooting pics, back in the car, back on the road.  The M-E just flows better for this kind of a project, at least for me.  Shooting mainly with a 28mm Elmarit, 50 Cron, 50 Lux (night stuff) and 90 Elmarit.  Going well so far, but the two film cameras are staying the the bag and don't seem to happy about it!   :angry:

You seem to be able to rationalise your working practice so why call it a 'problem'? It appears you have made a choice, so to put it into perspective how many times a day do you normally make a choice about something?

Steve

You seem to be able to rationalise your working practice so why call it a 'problem'? It appears you have made a choice, so to put it into perspective how many times a day do you normally make a choice about something?

Steve

It was said "tongue in cheek" Steve.  It's not really a "problem" any more than having anything of such good quality that it can make other items seem obsolete.

On this project/trip, which is a 2400 mile out-n-back, I am shooting the two film cameras exclusively on the "back", since the M-E got to take all the pictures on the "out".  All three bodies have pros and cons, glad to have all three along on the trip.

I  just got back from six weeks in Europe and took only two cameras, the M-E with one lens the ASPH35 Cron and a Canon G12 for zoom or video.

leaving the DSLR kit behind was refreshing. 

I loved the essential M-E.

I just spent 11 days in Seoul, Korea.  I used the M-E with a 50mm lens and the X (typ 113) with its 35mm (equiv) lens.

I enjoyed each about equally and could easily have made do with only one or the other without any regret.

Just got home from eleven days on the road.  Final tally, M-E captured 2315 images, M6TTL captured 46 images, M3 captured 54 images.  Had along a 28 Elmarit (Mandler), 50 Lux (pre-asph), 50 Cron (pre-asph) and 90 Elmarit-M.  The 28 lived on the M-E for most of the trip and accounted for most of the images.  Followed by the 50 Lux, 90 Elmarit-M and finally the 50 Cron.

Was shooting quite a bit of Neon at night and looking at the LCD on the back of the M-E, it looked like the Neon was getting blown out, and also the images all appeared pretty dark.  On my travel computer, the Neon still looked a little blown out, but once home and load on my big "work" computer, it looks beautiful.  Very pleased with the performance of the CCD sensor.  Also pleasantly surprised about how well the M-E works with my old Leica CF flash.  For some reason the CF never worked well with my Leica M8.2, but it mates very well with the M-E.

Really liking the Leica M-E.

• Like 1