Leica Q Firmware Request

But if you want precise exposure in complicated conditions, surely the best way is to switch off Auto ISO altogether and operate the camera fully manually like you would an M6? Preferably with spot metering. Exposure compensation is no more than a guesstimate.

Otherwise leave Auto-ISO on and use AE-lock-recompose. I think Leica's implementation is fine (after we had this whole issue out here in an extensive forum-fight ;))

I wouldn't, because I owe none. This set-up has worked for me on Nikons for years and I miss its ease of use, versatility on the street and closeness to precision.

But you raise an interesting point. Even allowing for concerns that were fortunate enough to have been discussed before, how about requests for which there are (perceived or) real work-arounds for some? There nearly always are.

But if you want precise exposure in complicated conditions, surely the best way is to switch off Auto ISO altogether and operate the camera fully manually like you would an M6? Preferably with spot metering. Exposure compensation is no more than a guesstimate.

Otherwise leave Auto-ISO on and use AE-lock-recompose. I think Leica's implementation is fine (after we had this whole issue out here in an extensive forum-fight ;))

Having missed that fight - I would be interested in reading the thread. Can you find the thread and post the link (or PM) me if you are afraid of restarting a fight. Thanks

Actually, the Q has it. Just not linked to the wheel, so not actually that useful in moments where you need it most. I just tried it. It also "works" with fix ISO, in that the exposure meter is tweaked by adding the compensation dialled in. The latter I find awkward and I'd see as an implementation error. As we are talking about Firmware:

--> if the thumb wheel could be configured to only changing a (selectable from a list) parameter, including <none> and <auto>, it would be nice.

Now having the camera I notice that n.6 can in fact be done by a double tap on the screen and that you can add or subtract 1/3rd of a stop by using the compensation wheel when using manual shutter speeds (point n.11)

I've tried to "double tap" the LCD screen in an attempt to have it only display a playback but can't seem to get this to work (item #6).  Can you explain further?

Thanks for your help!

Kent

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've tried to "double tap" the LCD screen in an attempt to have it only display a playback but can't seem to get this to work (item #6).  Can you explain further?

Thanks for your help!

Kent

If your focus point has been moved from center...then you can double tap the screen to get it to return to the center default position.

• Like 1

Been using the Q for a few weeks now. Thoughts.

More button customizability

Would like the following buttons customizable:

-center button in four way controller

-delete button - currently it does nothing in shooting mode.

-fn button - with more options

-Rear thumb button - with more options

-And video record button

I would want the following options available in addition to the ones currently available for the fn button for all of these buttons:

-Turn on/off rear lcd manually. If eye sensor is on, it should turn on/off the viewfinder, but the lcd should stay off until you toggle this button again. Right now there is no way to disable the lcd other than by using only the evf, which is a big bag of hurt when just going through menus. And sometimes I want the option of shooting with the lcd.

-Focus zoom toggle - Right now the only way to do a focus zoom assist is to have the option available when the focus ring turns. I would like the ability to toggle this with a button.

-Peaking toggle - so you can easier preview your scene. Half press does this too but your exposure is locked then.

-Display mode toggle - currently the center button does only this.

-Frame like toggle - currently the rear thumb button does this.

-Recenter af point - Right now there is no way to quickly jump back to the center af point with a button.

-Disable button (some may want the video button off entirely)

Crop modes

Would like more flexibility with cropping

-Display cropped view or frame line view. Sometimes you want to see a clear 100% view of your composition, sometimes you want frame lines.

-Disable crop modes (for instance I would disable 50mm so I could only toggle between 28 and 35)

-Option to save full dng or cropped dng

-Possibility for a teleconversion lens?

-Different aspect ratios with framelines? 1:1, 6:7, 4:3, 16:9, 2.35:1

Better Fn "quick menu"

-Like the M240 set menu, should have quick access to most common shooting functions like iso, wb, expo comp, etc. This is really handy with the touch screen.

Auto ISO priority mode

- Like m240, be able to use a manual aperture and shutter and have the camera control iso, and the dial control exposure compensation

Electronic shutter

More control over the electronic shutter. Would want three modes.

-Electronic Only

-Mechanical Only

-Electronic + Mechanical

Might even be nice to have an option of specifically what shutter speed the electronic shutter takes over (i.e. 1/2000 sec or above only)

Other

-For some reason the Q can focus past infinity in manual focus mode. That means if you focus past the infinity marker and hit the hard stop, infinity is well out of focus. I assume the manual focus is fly by wire.. have the focus hit infinity at the marker and then stop. There is no reason to focus past infinity, ever.

-The overlays in shooting mode are a little overly distracting. Toning down the opacity of the black would help.

-Improve battery life? If I could toggle off the lcd this would help I'm sure.

-Half and/or third stops for iso. Third stops for aperture but not for iso??

That's all for now.

Edited by cookedart

• 2 weeks later...

In another thread, there was a great suggestion of Auto-OIS: an option to set a slowest shutter speed beyond which the OIS will kick in automatically.

+1

Even my old Panasonic LX3 has an option to set a slowest

speed beyond which the camera just bumps up which ever

priority or the ISO automatically. Not exactly rocket science

or bleeding edge to then also have the opted OIS kick in.

it does that when you half press the shutter button, doesn't it?

No, I don't think it does. Mine hasn't arrived yet but I've

read the manual (mostly). Stopped down to f16 things

would get a bit dark for the final half pressing of the

shutter button. Make it difficult to utilise normally.

Needs to be an option using an other (Fn) button?

PostEdit:

Ideal replacement for that pointless delete button.

Edited by piran

it does that when you half press the shutter button, doesn't it?

No it doesn't unlike the Sony's. I do think it is good to keep it wide open as I believe you will probably get more accurate focusing though it would be nice if you could maybe assign as suggested to the delete button

Edited by viramati

No it doesn't unlike the Sony's. I do think it is good to keep it wide open as I believe you will probably get more accurate focusing though it would be nice if you could maybe assign as suggested to the delete button

Well, the Q clearly changes aperture when half pressing the shutter. It's quite obvious because objects in the background get "in focus". This doesn't happen when I set aperture to f1.7.

However, whether it sets the correct aperture or something else, I don't know. Probably just a little misleading...

Well, the Q clearly changes aperture when half pressing the shutter. It's quite obvious because objects in the background get "in focus". This doesn't happen when I set aperture to f1.7.

However, whether it sets the correct aperture or something else, I don't know. Probably just a little misleading...

Strange. Mine certainly doesn't. The only time I notice that it stops down before taking a shot is if I point the camera at a very bright light source or the sky. 

Edited by viramati

I have discovered why I wasn't getting the DOF preview, if I have the 'Zoom/Lock-button' set to AEL when you do a half press of the shutter button the aperture doesn't stop down to whatever aperture you have set. In all other settings it does stop down thus giving you a DOF preview   

• Like 1

I like to use AE Lock, I find it useful, but cannot use the Q's implementation.

The real frustration of using the button for AEL is that it is only effective WHILST the button is being pressed. It is not a toggled lock that remains locked until reset by a second press. So you cannot use it for successive shots unless you continue to hold in the button. This is no good for me.

I find AEL very useful with other cameras, but I wear glasses and also have to use my left eye for the viewfinder, so holding in the button continuously is not really an option - my thumb ends up against the right lens of my glasses. Therefore AEL on the Q is useless for me. If it toggled I could use it.

My request: Make the AE Lock a simple toggle. Press to lock and stay locked (for successive exposures preferably) and press to unlock.

Tim

• Like 2