Leica Q Firmware Request

I'll add the ability to scroll magnified images in image review locking in the magnification to allow comparison between shots.  Maybe in playback function and ISO buttons could be used to scroll images.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The level doesn't disappear, all the graphics disappear...this is the way it should be. Once you half press the shutter its time to focus on the entire frame.

The level didn't disappear on my Sony RX1 and I kind of liked to be able to continue to level the image even though the shutter had been pressed half way for recomposition. 

well, some two or three weeks into my "Q ownership" I have to say that while I don't yet "love" the camera, ( as I did with right away with the MM I bought back a few years ago ), I do think that it's going to grow on me and that it is a "keeper".

My biggest gripe is regarding the control and options for the EVF / LCD operations and I seriously would want Leica to address this function soon in their first firmware upgrade. I dislike the fact that although you can choose to solely use the EVF you also have to review any images on the EVF rather than the LCD which obviously is a better option for that function. 

Sure I know you can go into the menu and switch to LCD or EVF/LCD and review on the screen, but that's very awkward and cannot be done quickly.

That's very annoying and tends to make the camera less "stealthy" in many of the situations that I would use it, ( ie. on film sets or street photography ).

What I want is the option of reviewing on the LCD by pushing the PLAY button when using the EVF mode, a second push on PLAY returning you to sole EVF shooting mode.

Maybe I've missed something here in the current firmware set-up, but I don't think so......So please Leica, do address this with more usable EVF/LCD control options.

I am also not yet "converted' to using the EVF at all times, ( I almost never use a LCD to frame/shoot ), so I am seriously considering getting a clip-on bright line finder for the camera and seeing how that goes. Precise framing isn't a requirement for me, getting the shot without too much dancing around setting options is. I guess despite the advantages of an EVF five decades of Leica M shooting makes me more comfortable with an optical finder, but that's just me. Trying to move on! 

Battery life is ok, I wish it were better, but it seems to be about the same as the M9 / MM. Am I wrong here? I bought a couple of cheap 3rd party batteries, ( Wasabi ), with charger to back up the two Leica Q batteries I bought with the camera, I'll report on how they work out. But they were cheap enough to give them a try.

I too would like to be able to have the Movie button disabled as per' the M camera, and have that button re-assignable to another function when the Movie recording option on the camera is off.

Lens and image quality seem to be first rate, ( for me the choice of the 28mm focal length is a perfect one ), maybe a little too chromatic my taste but that's easily corrected in post'. Build quality is everything that a leica should be, solid and great user design. While the Q is definitely a 'shooter's camera, it just needs to grow up some.

Oh yes.....a DNG only mode please.

More as the relationship goes beyond the "dating" stages....

Edited by Guest

While the following isn't firmware, there are two mechanical details I would love for them to incorporate.  The first is to add the finger loop screw mount to the body so it could be used without the grip. The second is to use the lug system ( without the rubber strap) used on the T to allow quick changing of neck strap and or wrist strap or having no strap and just using finger loop as per above. 

While the following isn't firmware, there are two mechanical details I would love for them to incorporate.  The first is to add the finger loop screw mount to the body so it could be used without the grip. The second is to use the lug system ( without the rubber strap) used on the T to allow quick changing of neck strap and or wrist strap or having no strap and just using finger loop as per above. 

Two words: "Peak design". I use the "Leash" and the "Cuff". Awesome quick release system.

https://peakdesign.com/store/?c=straps

• Like 1

That the level gauge doesn't disappear when shutter is half pressed. :)

Personally this is the way I like it. Maybe to have the option but for me it is so much better to have a uncluttered viewfinder when I half press the shutter, helps for easier composition 

Hi Guys, Im new in this forum, I know that the English will be incorrect, I apologize in advance, I hope everyone can understand.

Here what I'd like to ask to Leica about a future firmware after 15 days of use of my Leica Q:

Exposure compensation signal bigger and red, not only when I'm adjusting it.

- Auto IS

- Disable play mode after stand-by.  If I left the camera in play (because I checked a picture) and the camera swicth to LCD Auto Off, the first thing I'll see in EVF will be the picture in play mode, very annoying if I have to take a picture suddenly. 

- More buffer

- Faster review of picture in good quality! Not be forced to use in addition to DNG the JPEG format, to enlarge the images in Play  I also need to use a large Jpeg!!!!

- EVF adjustable brightness

Not divide the functions AEL  both thumb button and shutter button,  just to join the AEL function to the thumb button, because in this way it is disabled  the the metering shutter button and not always I want use AE Look with thumb.

Dissociate EVF and LCD, many problems are related to this issue.

- Faster switchig LCD-EFV

Touch panel with all main functions without accessing the menu

- Rec button for FN use

• Like 1

For the most part, I really like this camera. I also have an M9 and M240.

I was particularly tickled that there was macro as I am an outdoor photographer who was really excited about having both landscape and a modicum of macro available in this single body. I would have preferred 35mm as that what I have always shot with. I am getting used to the 28mm though I think macro would have been better with 35mm rather than 28. I also think that a 35 would have had less bulk.

​I was semi-locked up for a while at one point which was manifested in inability to choose other than 1.7 for aperture. I finally had to reset both profiles and camera settings to fix it. Also affected by this weirdness was AF to infinity that would continuously seek.

The WiFi apps (both android and ios) really do NOT work very well.

Here is my variation on everything important to me incorporating this thread to date:

1. The ability to name the profiles AND export settings for backup. If you do this, you would have to add a virtual keyboard so allow me to also imbed iptc info like owner, copyright, etc.
  2. More customization options for the LCD and EVF display
    • turn on/off options visible in the LCD or EVF
    •  options to allow turning off LCD except for playbac

3. DNG Only
  4. my own choices for what FN button does please
  5. option to disable thumbwheel
  6. EXPOSURE COMPENSATION- keep marker red in EVF and LCD display when EC is engaged to draw attention that it is active. Currently its only red while adjusting and it reverts to white once set. This should remain red.
  7. Please give me manual controls in Video Mode
  8. 24fps in Video Mode
  9. When downloading images via the USB connection, please observe the inactivity power off setting of one minute. It seems to just stay on after a download is complete and burn up the battery.

Thanks for listening Leica!

Eric

Edited by ehall@ehallphoto.com

Finally had a chance to try out the Q for an afternoon.  Fantastic camera in many respects, but there are one or two things that drove me bonkers, and I probably won't buy one unless / until they are fixed.

1. In the two touch AF modes, you should still be able to move the focus point manually using the 4-way navigation buttons, like you can in the 1-Point mode.  That way you can change focus point location while using the EVF.  I can't understand why this isn't already the case.

2. In the first touch AF mode, you can't focus when looking through the EVF.  This must be a bug.  It works fine in the "touch AF + Release" mode.

3. Ability to toggle between different AF modes without having to menu dive!  This should definitely be an option for the Fn button.  I wanted to change it much more often than ISO (which has its own dedicated button )

4. Add the ability to assign multiple functions to the Fn button.  You should be able to cycle through several different screens (uses) just by clicking the button several times.  For example, press once for AF mode, press again for White Balance then press a third time to go back out of the Fn menu.  This would be much more practical than the current set up.  You very quickly learn when to single click and when to double click to set a value and then leave the Fn menu.  Once you have used the main menu to configure the camera the way you want it you should basically never need to enter the menu.

5. EVF is a bit too slow to engage when you hold the camera up to your eye.  This latency is frustrating, and should be reduced if possible.

Small changes that would make the camera much more useable

• Like 1

Battery life is ok, I wish it were better, but it seems to be about the same as the M9 / MM. Am I wrong here? I bought a couple of cheap 3rd party batteries, ( Wasabi ), with charger to back up the two Leica Q batteries I bought with the camera, I'll report on how they work out. But they were cheap enough to give them a try.

More as the relationship goes beyond the "dating" stages....

A brief follow-up to my July 24th posting, this is about the Q's battery life. So far I find it very disappointing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because no-one else on the forum seems to be commenting adversely about it.

It may do "300+/-" shots as mentioned by some testers but the Leica batteries I bought with the Q hardly last a day out irrespective as to whether I shoot 300 images or 30. I've found that carrying a second battery is essential.

The Wasabi "cheapo" batteries that I bought on Amazon, ( USA ), so far seem to have about the same life as the Leica Q's.

Whether the Wasabi batteries will hold up over time is still to be determined.

Anyone have better experiences regarding battery usage?

Maybe I don't shoot enough shots but on several occasions when I go our for the day shooting, I carry a spare battery but have never needed it.  Usually battery is down to 2/3rds and I recharge it.  However, I typically only shoot 115 to 150 shots during that time.  I grew up on film and still have that film mentality such that I don't want to waste shots.  When you only had 36 shots on a roll you were more judicious about your shots, especially when it cost money to develop and print.  Even though I know it isn't film, I find I have to tell myself, go ahed and take as many shots as you want as you can always toss them later.