Leica Q Firmware Request

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Q just arrived and my immediate impression is great. It is a well thought out little camera, and there is not much not to like. Leica has done a fabulous job with the Q. That being said, there is a few things id like to see added to the firmware to make it even better. Please add your thoughts or wishes. I will add to this as I spend more time with the Q, but here we go after less than an hour with her id like to see:

1- The ability to name the profiles

2- Auto Review- please add review while holding shutter (like the M9 and 240). IMO this is the best option for image review, all the other settings get in the way.

3- more customization options for the LCD and EVF display (turn on/off options visible in the LCD or EVF)

4- DNG Only

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 4

Yes that is a big one! I added it

Some people clamoured for a DNG-only option with the X1, then the X2, the X Vario, and finally the T. Leica refused to grant any of those wishes and I would be quite surprised if they did now.

• Like 2

From my brief use of the camera I would like t

1. to see access to the focus settings through the fn button

2. 2. It would be great if the focus spot could be made to recenter after a shot as you can with Sony A7 series by pressing the delete button.

Edited by viramati
  • Like 2

UPDATED:

1- The ability to name the profiles

2- Auto Review- please add review while holding shutter (like the M9 and 240). IMO this is the best option for image review, all the other settings get in the way.

3- more customization options for the LCD and EVF display (turn on/off options visible in the LCD or EVF)

4- DNG Only

5-  to see access to the focus settings through the fn button

6- It would be great if the focus spot could be made to recenter after a shot as you can with Sony A7 series by pressing the delete button.

7- expand LCD/EVF menu options to allow turning off LCD except for playback (currently disabling LCD totally disables it even for image playback)

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 2

Some people clamoured for a DNG-only option with the X1, then the X2, the X Vario, and finally the T. Leica refused to grant any of those wishes and I would be quite surprised if they did now.

I believe this is because the app requires JPEG images. For those of us that rarely use the app, DNG only would be a nice option.

From my brief use of the camera I would like t

1. to see access to the focus settings through the fn button

2. 2. It would be great if the focus spot could be made to recenter after a shot as you can with Sony A7 series by pressing the delete button.

#1- yes agree. The options for FN button are limited and several dont belong. We dont need Exposure, its already a fixed button in the wheel and File Format is an odd choice for FN...this is something you dont readily change. Focus should be one of the top choices.

• Like 3

But you can shoot RAW only on the c typ112

#1- yes agree. The options for FN button are limited and several dont belong. We dont need Exposure, its already a fixed button in the wheel and File Format is an odd choice for FN...this is something you dont readily change. Focus should be one of the top choices.

I certainly agree. From what I saw the fn button certainly had a load of setting I wouldn't need access to such as WLAN etc. They should make it configurable as in the Sony A7's so that you can get quick access to the sections you need. At the moment it seems like of load of settings that most experienced photographers wouldn't need access to and poorly thought out. 

By the way I'm 60 today!!!!

After using the M240 for over a year now, I've found I rarely use the thumbwheel in normal use, as I rarely apply exposure compensation. I change ISO a lot more. It would be nice to have direct control over ISO via the thumbwheel, rather than having to remove the camera from the eye and pressing/holding the ISO button to access this. I imagine I would have similar thoughts about the Q and therefore would like to see this option available for both it and the M.

• Like 1

After using the M240 for over a year now, I've found I rarely use the thumbwheel in normal use, as I rarely apply exposure compensation. I change ISO a lot more. It would be nice to have direct control over ISO via the thumbwheel, rather than having to remove the camera from the eye and pressing/holding the ISO button to access this. I imagine I would have similar thoughts about the Q and therefore would like to see this option available for both it and the M.

Personally I use exposure compensation more than ISO and the thumbwheel is designed for this. I set ISO once per location or use auto iso. The current locations work perfectly for me.

• Like 1

I certainly agree. From what I saw the fn button certainly had a load of setting I wouldn't need access to such as WLAN etc. They should make it configurable as in the Sony A7's so that you can get quick access to the sections you need. At the moment it seems like of load of settings that most experienced photographers wouldn't need access to and poorly thought out. 

By the way I'm 60 today!!!!

Happy birthday!

• Like 1

Guest jvansmit

I'd like to be able to completely disable the thumbwheel...it's too easy to accidentally dial in -/+ exposure compensation which happened to me a few times over the weekend. 

On one occasion, I shot 2-3 hours on +1EV which is a bummer on a sunny, high contrast afternoon. I've tried using the Thumbs Up from my MM to guard the thumbwheel but it's a sloppy fit in the Q's accessory shoe.

Edited by jvansmit
  • Like 1

I'd like to be able to completely disable the thumbwheel...it's too easy to accidentally dial in -/+ exposure compensation which happened to me a few times over the weekend. 

On one occasion, I shot 2-3 hours on +1EV which is a bummer on a sunny, high contrast afternoon. I've tried using the Thumbs Up from my MM to guard the thumbwheel but it's a sloppy fit in the Q's accessory shoe.

Normally, the camera requires you to press the focus button in front of the camera while turning the thumbwheel to change the exposure compensation. I can not have a look at my camera right now, so I can't tell you which setting to change, but you can turn this behaviour off and on.

Personally I use exposure compensation more than ISO and the thumbwheel is designed for this. I set ISO once per location or use auto iso. The current locations work perfectly for me.

Funny enough, I have been complaining about the way to set EV compensation on the M8 and then M8.2 (better, but still fiddly). When they finally moved it to a thumb wheel, I find myself not using this very much... Now I find myself complaining about it begin to easily adjustable...

Edited by bernie.lcf