Leica Q Firmware Request

• DNG only
  • Customize thumb wheel

Customised thumb wheel !     Very sony-esque.     The reason I dumped my NEX.    Its not in the Leica genes to introduce multiple options on multiple unmarked controls.  I hope they don't give in because a clone of the Sony would be bad news. :huh:

• Like 1

If and when all the proposed tweaks are incorporated in the next firmware update, we will need a new manual and need to re-learn the logic behind menu options and settings.    Personally, I don't want a complicated Q.  I learn to use whatever the camera delivers and I have no complaints.   Many of us are also rangefinder users and it seems to me that this move away from the simple rangefinder concept to the Q has elicited loads of comments about missing features or wrong design decisions.  Now we are clamouring for all the features found on other bodies.  My M9 is great.  Autofocus was all I needed.   Previously I ditched my Canon and Sony gear to return to simple and unambiguous settings.  Let's not now create a Leica monster equivalent. 

Hopefully, Leica engineers will whittle down the myriad of forum recommendations and choose just a few for the first firmware update. Some potential buyers may be disappointed, but if - as it seems - they already have the features on their existing systems, then why change?

My opinion!

I agree, for the most part. I like simple, and they've done a good job keeping the bells and whistles from intruding too much (x100 series drove me nuts for this reason).That said, the one area that I think should be a priority is:

1. EVF only mode with LCD playback on push of play button. Seems very odd this isn't available, and I expect a simple firmware fix. This to me is important for a variety of reasons already discussed by others.

Optional (would be nice)

2. In-camera Black and White conversion and playback. (perhaps I haven't figured this out yet?). With the x100s, I would preset to black and white (yellow filter) conversion in-camera and later import raw files with auto conversion, so I never even saw the color versions even though they are still there. Perhaps a bit antiquated but it's nice to go out and choose "intent" for the day, color or black and white, like choosing film, and work within that purity. Artistically, this is important to me and keeps me focused within my two developing "styles," while reducing post-process ADD. I can also say later that I chose to shoot in either black and white or color at the time with clear intent. This matters to some.

Edited by Tom Hyde
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I agree, for the most part. I like simple, and they've done a good job keeping the bells and whistles from intruding too much (x100 series drove me nuts for this reason).That said, the one area that I think should be a priority is:

1. EVF only mode with LCD playback on push of play button. Seems very odd this isn't available, and I expect a simple firmware fix. This to me is important for a variety of reasons already discussed by others.

Hi Tom, the EVF / LCD "fix" you want is about the only thing I would like to have addressed as well, I find the present EVF/LCD set-up annoying at best.

Pretty much all the rest of the expressed desired firmware changes I feel are just nickel and dime'ing, (spelling?), what is for me a pretty well sorted camera. I hope Leica will keep the Q as simple and straightforward as possible.

Edited by Guest

I too would like the focus mode to be controlled with the Fn button rather than going through the menu, as i tend to change it more often than white balance. 

Also i've almost accidentally deleted all photos from my card, and would like if the delete all function not be accessible by the delete button next to delete single and multi. 

• Like 1

I don't know if I or anyone has mentioned this before..

But just in case Leica read this :D

I want to be able to disable exposure simulation, if I take flash portraits where I underexpose the ambient to black then I can't actually see anything in the viewfinder.

Set the thumb button to "AEL" function, and the viewfinder maintains normal exposure, no WYSIWYG preview. For WYSIWYG, you hold the thumb button down before shutter press.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just starting a three day trial.

The hardware is there. Thank you Leica.

Now, to make this camera really really one of the all-time great ones:

1) Make the EVF always look like the final exposure (at least in manual)

2) EVF-only setting (with play bringing up the last image on the LCD)

3) When in playback: make the center button zoom in at 100% AT THE FOCUS point

4) When in shoot-mode: make the center button return the AF-point to the middle

5) exposure compensation also in Manual / AUTO-ISO: just shift ISO up and down

6) ISO in 1/3 stops as an option

7) ability to assign 'focus mode' to the fn button

8) always wake the camera in shooting mode

9) in playback: when at 100% the exposure comp. button should take you through the images at 100%

10) let the user decide when to let OIS to kick in (e.g. when slower than 1/60th)

If implemented I will certainly buy the Q.

My usage scenario:

Set camera to f1.7 // 1/60th, let ISO range freely between 100 and 12800. Just adjust "brightness" / ISO with exposure comp dial (and see the result in the EVF)  Focus and release shutter.

• Like 1

Have no idea if it has been mentioned here before but I would like the Zoom/Lock-Button and/or the FN button to be programmable in a way that the LCD/EVF is turned off when pressed. By this one can save a considerable amount of battery power by turning both of right after snapping the shot. 

Please Leica, add this feature. :)

In no particular order...

1. DNG only option (and compressed).

2. Display mode (EVF -> LCD/EVF/ LCD) as an option for the fn button.

3. When in EVF only, play should display on LCD.

4. Faster switching between EVF/LCD.  There's a noticable lag.

5. In playback, centre button should take you to 100% view as mentioned before.

I think DNG+JPEG is a must. The camera probably can't render DNG fast enough for quick review and/or swiping through images on the display.

Because I don't want to waste storage I reduced the JPEG quality to the minimum. This unfortunately results in very low quality preview images on the display.

• Like 1