Why did you get the new Monochrom?

jaapv

Why did you get the new Monochrom?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main reason for buying the new Monochrom (Typ 246)

• I like the higher resolution
    • I liker the better ISO performance
    • I like the Video
    • I like the EVF/LV
    • I like the better viewfinder/rangefinder/framelines
    • I like the silent shutter
    • I held off buying the first version for this one
    • I had to; my neighbour is getting one
    • Other: state please

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did not buy it but I am waiting to buy the older camera and

I know that camera will give all the opportunities to do some photography.

All I am going to do is get adapted to the efficency it can do and do more photography with my skills .

I am not running after the evolution that Leica digital is trying to to do and inject in to our heart.

We'll get landed bankrupted Homeless and resourseless otherwise.  

• Like 3

Why did i get the new Monochrom?

Simply because there are no decent laboratories longer where i live and i don't want to pay around 100 Euros - shipping, developing and high quality scanning - for 36 pictures.

The decision was easy for me to take, since i mostly shoot B/W.

• 3 weeks later...

BjarniM . I am completely agree with you and I have the same reason too when I buy a Digital M as I am fed up of the Public lab services . All though I was living in Paris  and didi analogue Photography I had so many more disappointments dealing with French Labs . Now I am in London this service is very demanding and scarceI and very expensive  find it  the best was is to convert in to Digital and live with that .

My MM and two M9's all had sensor issues. As much as I loved the MM, that is a bit too much. Yes, Leica repaired all three for free, but it's time to move on.

Delivery time from sensor fault discovery to MM2 in hand... 30 minutes. The UPS guy was right behind me.

I don't agree with this assessment but, in any case, I personally think black and white film is worth the effort and expense.

I would agree, but I also have to say that if carefully exposed, there seems to be nothing 35mm film can do that the MM can't. But there are a lot of things the MM can do that 35mm film can't. The only exception to this would be producing natural looking grain, which I admit can be very beautiful.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

there are a lot of things the MM can do that 35mm film can't.

I agree that the Monochrom can do remarkable things in low light and take photographs that are simply not possible with film. It is also capable of capturing the most remarkable detail that 35mm film cannot get near. It is also incredibly convenient compared with faffing with film development, etc. However,...

there seems to be nothing 35mm film can do that the MM can't.

I can't agree with this. I've enjoyed using my Monochrom for almost three years and taken many photographs I am very pleased with but, since starting to use film again in a much more significant way, I've come to realise again what I have been largely missing in those three years. Black and white film has such effortless grace and beautiful tonality and, hand on heart, I simply don't think the Monochrom output matches it and that's before we even get to consider the grain. :D  

• Like 2

I agree that the Monochrom can do remarkable things in low light and take photographs that are simply not possible with film. It is also capable of capturing the most remarkable detail that 35mm film cannot get near. It is also incredibly convenient compared with faffing with film development, etc. However,...

I can't agree with this. I've enjoyed using my Monochrom for almost three years and taken many photographs I am very pleased with but, since starting to use film again in a much more significant way, I've come to realise again what I have been largely missing in those three years. Black and white film has such effortless grace and beautiful tonality and, hand on heart, I simply don't think the Monochrom output matches it and that's before we even get to consider the grain. :D  

I agree with you here. My MM has just left for Solms for the sensor transplant, inconvenient but I'm grateful how Leica is stepping up to address this problem. I was offered the trade up to the M246 but after some consideration I opted for the repair route instead.

I see nothing I dislike with the MM's images, nothing that at this time that's worth the +€3600 cost to trade in and upgrade, and if I want a look that's more "filmic" then I go to my M4P/M6/M7's, load some TX or XP2 400 film and shoot with that.

By the way regarding processing, I use Ilford XP2 400 film, process only at a 1 hour lab that's just 2minutes from my house in SW France, run some scanned "contact sheets" then high res' scan my choices on a Nikon scanner. Simple, not expensive at all and great results.

Traded my MM9 in and really enjoying the new M246 .

It is great to be able to take multiple shots with the buffer without the battery failing previous MM9 was notorious for that .

A set made in heaven for me has been the new M246 and the Summicron 50 APO ASPH  what a combo and the 75 APO Summicron is :)

Keen on taking my Leica Q and the M246 on a trip to Italy give them a nice run next month .

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got mine.  I was intrigued and tempted when the first M9 monochrome version came out.  Glad I waited since I upgraded from the M9 to the M240 when it came out and happy with it.  Thus far have just been converting to b/w using the M240 and the T.  Now with the monochrome, the little bit I have done looks so much more like film.  Am still just beginning with it so a lot to learn.

So, now I have both the M240 and the MM, or the "M&M"....., and time will tell if I hang onto to M240 as I tend to favor monochrome, and shall wait to see how the MM does in all conditions before letting go of the M240. 

I got the new Monochrom (Type 246), because my old Monochrom developed a sensor issue. I am not in a position as I travel extensively to wait for NJ for a repair. My dealer was willing to give me a good trade-in based on the idea that NJ would repair my old Monochrom for free.

I'm color blind in the green/red spectrum, so editing color is a challenge, especially for skin tones.  I've always loved B&W, so I ordered (and have just received) a 246 and it really makes it much more enjoyable to shoot, and easier in LR.  I like thinking only in B&W.  For those times that really need color I can always take my backup, a Sony A7ii.  But that's pretty rare.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased the new Monochrom 246 because I wanted a dedicated black and white camera. I have followed both Monochroms from the beginning and at last mine arrived today  I am pleased that I can use my EVF2 from my xvario with it. As I wear glasses I have found it very difficult to cope with my husbands M6 so I'm looking forward to using my new camera and lens. Just waiting for the battery to charge

Rosie

My last Leica was an M8 which left a lot to be desired compared to my previous M6s and M7s. I mainly do fine art landscape photography and while I was intrigued by the first iteration of the Monochrom it had too much limitations. With the addition of live view, I came back. Very happy so far, to the point that I am considering getting a second body.

Edited by giulioz

I now have the M246. I'm holding on to the original Monochrom as well for the time being. There are a lot of functional advantages to the M246 (just like with M240 cf M9), as well as a bit more resolution and dynamic range it seems. But I like the original MM at base ISO, and I also like the 'filmic' rendering of files at 5000 ISO. So I'm nervous about letting it go. The M246 seems the more logical choice, but I want to see the files from my own usage before letting the MM go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got my new M246 yesterday. I will keep the 5year old M9 for color work and will see how this will work out together. No sensor issues on the 9 (yet). Intrigued by the MM246's high ISO, obviously the reduction to, err, monochrome, and frankly also the new platform (hence the decision against the original MM9). Lens set up 21SE, 35Cron, 50Lux. The 35 may stay put on the 9, while changing between the two others on the 246.