Why did you get the new Monochrom?

jaapv

Why did you get the new Monochrom?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main reason for buying the new Monochrom (Typ 246)

• I like the higher resolution
    • I liker the better ISO performance
    • I like the Video
    • I like the EVF/LV
    • I like the better viewfinder/rangefinder/framelines
    • I like the silent shutter
    • I held off buying the first version for this one
    • I had to; my neighbour is getting one
    • Other: state please

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The sensor failed in my M9 and Leica offered me an upgrade to the M240.  I already have that one so they offered the M246.  I have the MM but have been wanting the new one.  It kind of fell in my lap!!  I'm so glad I'll be able to travel with the same batteries and battery charger for the M240 and M246.

Tina

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I finally did the deed on Friday and am now a 246er. Despite the fact that the 246 has been the most appealing camera on the market for a while i have not been able to find room for it as i dont want to stop shooting colour and i dont want to stop shooting film. Also i have not been convinced about the merits of using filters vs channel mixing in post processing. Despite all that i took an sd card into my L dealer and took some samples of my own. The results were incredible. I am sure this will become my #1 body.

It's an awesome camera, I have two type 246! The tridimensional look of the files is impressive. It's not perfect, some time I see some banding in flat skies but it's as close to perfection as I can Imagine. If you are into black and white I could not think about a better option. I bought the filters, but I rarely use them as there is so much you can do to those files in post. Live view is a blessing. I'll see what the next iteration of the M will bring to the table but it will have to have substantial improvements at the viewfinder level to get rid of my bodies. I would like to have longer exposure time in bulb mode as I do a lot of long exposures. 60 sec is enough for the water but not to register cloud movements. I am just back from Japan and these bodies are also reliable in cold weather. I am an happy camper. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

personally I have fulfilled my dream: in a small and light bag I always carry the M246 with the 35mm Summicron ASPH, an M6 TTL with the 90 APO and a bunch of Cinestill colour negative film.

the M246 is a small wonder which gives me a level of quality comparable to a 6x7 T MAX 100 even if I shoot it at 3200 asa.

For the few cases when I wouldn't shoot b&w, the M6 and the Cinestill film give me the colour I prefer over any "colour" digital camera

• Like 1