28 Lux ?

CheshireCat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have my name down for one. I hope it comes in silver chrome.

I would buy it even if it only came in magenta and brown pie de poule.

... provided price and performance are comparable to the 35 FLE.

By the way, any link to [free] reviews and example photos ?

• Haha 1

I would buy it even if it only came in magenta and brown pie de poule.

... provided price and performance are comparable to the 35 FLE.

By the way, any link to [free] reviews and example photos ?

Go to the LFI master shots and click filter. Choose a body and the 28mm focal length then 28 summilux.

Go to the LFI master shots and click filter. Choose a body and the 28mm focal length then 28 summilux.

Thanks. Could find a couple shots.

The ones with the M-A are not tagged, therefore it is not clear which lens was used.

P.S. The site does should allow selecting "Any camera". As it is now, it is a pain to see examples of a lens one is interested in.

I would love to have the 28 Summilux if it were to become available. And I had a spare $8000 USD languishing in my sock drawer (can't see that it would sell for much less than that...)

Let's make it perfectly clear: if the lens will actually cost $8000, I'll wait for a much better Zeiss APO product at half the price. No jokes.

Let's make it perfectly clear: if the lens will actually cost $8000, I'll wait for a much better Zeiss APO product at half the price. No jokes.

I'd love to see Zeiss pull that off but it just doesn't seem like they offer us nice surprises like that. Maybe for the E mount but then it would be an unwieldy size.

I'd love to see Zeiss pull that off but it just doesn't seem like they offer us nice surprises like that. Maybe for the E mount but then it would be an unwieldy size.

The ZM 35/1.4 has been a nice surprise. We may argue about it being much better than what Leica offers, but to me it shows Zeiss has seriously raised the bar to compete at the high-end also with the ZM line, starting with a 35mm lens to probe the market.

Zeiss could compete next with the following:

- ZM 28/1.4 (fill the gap in Leica's line).

- ZM 50/2 APO (Leica's 50 APO price is preposterous).

- ZM 90/2 APO (Leica's 90 APO is undewhelming for the price - my very personal opinion).

It will be a pleasure for me to reply to this thread as soon as Zeiss releases the ZM 28/1.4 (APO or not).

If and only if it's "better", as well.

There are too many ifs here. What's funny is the Loyalty you have for Zeiss even if they are always late to the game, invisible, or unexistant. Copycats.

The best favor you can make to yourself is to buy what's available here and now. In this instance, buying a 28 lux for 8000$ and reselling it for a "better" zeiss in 10 years (or 20, or never) and taking a 4000$ hit on the resale is not bad at all. At least you'd have been using it for a decade and you'd be contributing to the company that made the digital rangefinder a reality.

We're still waiting for a digital Zeiss. Lol.

Edited by NB23
  • Like 3

What's funny is the Loyalty you have for Zeiss even if they are always late to the game, invisible, or unexistant. Copycats.

You probably do not follow the DSLR lens market.

We're still waiting for a digital Zeiss. Lol.

It's called Sony, but it doesn't work nice with M lenses yet :D

And as soon as new sensors with no ray angle issues will be out, you will be waiting forever for a new Leica M camera :)

Edited by CheshireCat

You probably do not follow the DSLR lens market.

It's called Sony, but it doesn't work nice with M lenses yet :D

And as soon as new sensors with no ray angle issues will be out, you will be waiting forever for a new Leica M camera :)

If a replacement M body does materialise from another manufacturer Leica will need to react by matching or closing the pricing gap. I'd stay with Leica personally ;)

The ZM 35/1.4 has been a nice surprise. We may argue about it being much better than what Leica offers, but to me it shows Zeiss has seriously raised the bar to compete at the high-end also with the ZM line, starting with a 35mm lens to probe the market.

- ZM 90/2 APO (Leica's 90 APO is undewhelming for the price - my very personal opinion).

28, 35, 50 & 90mm (+/- zooms) would be good targets for Zeiss. 18mm already gone. F2 for 28 & 90mm & f1.4 for 35 & 50mm. Yes slightly larger, but if less than half the price with comparable/better optics then there would be many takers. Would fit nicely with their Sony set up too using different mounts.

28, 35, 50 & 90mm (+/- zooms) would be good targets for Zeiss. 18mm already gone. F2 for 28 & 90mm & f1.4 for 35 & 50mm. Yes slightly larger, but if less than half the price with comparable/better optics then there would be many takers. Would fit nicely with their Sony set up too using different mounts.

I am not sure whether Zeiss is still producing the 18 mm ZM. It was indeed only slightly larger than the SuperElmar, but not the quality of the Leica lens. When Zeiss has to match or better Leica lenses there is considerable bloat. See the OTUS.

If Zeiss were to produce lenses of the same quality and size as Leica, which they almost certainly could, the price would be very similar, or higher.

Edited by jaapv

I am not sure whether Zeiss is still producing the 18 mm ZM. It was indeed only slightly larger than the SuperElmar, but not the quality of the Leica lens. When Zeiss has to match or better Leica lenses there is considerable bloat. See the OTUS.

If Zeiss were to produce lenses of the same quality and size as Leica, which they almost certainly could, the price would be very similar, or higher.

People also forget that there is a considerable quality difference between Zeiss lenses made in Japan and those few made in Germany (still?). My Distagon ZM 15/2.8 has a quality that Leica has only matched (in my lenses) with the M60 35 Summilux ASPH (FLE).

I suspect we will be waiting for a little bit yet before the 28 Summilux is released ...

It would be nice if this actually happens, but I fear that Zeiss has other priorities (Sony, E, FE, Fuji X, ZE, ZF...) The ZM35/1.4 seems to be a great lens, but I had hints of it's existence three years ago (the Zeiss rep had actually used a 'fast wide-normal' that was coming to market imminently) Thankfully I didn't wait and I've had three years use from my Summilux and with changing prices I only paid $600Cdn more for my Leica than what the Zeiss ended up priced at (that's about 20% more...not double)

I suspect we may wait years for the next Zeiss M mount lens, whatever it is.