M3 or M-A

KAD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Just one qualification on M3s, the DS models have shutter components that are part of the body. My 1957 shutter is becoming terminal acording to YYE. Only repair would be to find a non functional SS M3 body and combining the two. These don't exist anymore, everything gets repaired with current prices. So I have been told to use 1/500 and 1/1000 sparingly and be careful with operation. 😕

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying that a DS M3 can't be repaired if the shutter goes bad?  I thought that a DS camera could be relatively easily converted to a SS, but maybe I'm mistaken.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb logan2z:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying that a DS M3 can't be repaired if the shutter goes bad?  I thought that a DS camera could be relatively easily converted to a SS, but maybe I'm mistaken.

The shutter has a set of brakes on it, on M Leicas other than the M3DS they are replaceable when they wear out on the DS they are part of the camera body and can't be replaced, no spare parts are available. You can have many shutter jobs before the brakes wear out. As I said my M3 is 64 years old, it belonged to a pro photographer friend who past away and since I helped her buy it in the mid 1970s, she willed it to me. It has been a well used camera. 

3 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

The shutter has a set of brakes on it, on M Leicas other than the M3DS they are replaceable when they wear out on the DS they are part of the camera body and can't be replaced, no spare parts are available. You can have many shutter jobs before the brakes wear out. As I said my M3 is 64 years old, it belonged to a pro photographer friend who past away and since I helped her buy it in the mid 1970s, she willed it to me. It has been a well used camera. 

Thanks for the info. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I have been looking for a very nice M3 or M4 for around £1500.  I plan to use regularly, not 'collect'. However, I have come across a mint 3 month old MP round 20% cheaper than new . Despite costing 2x as much, comfort of warranty etc. seems very tempting and it seems a good deal and will hopefully keep its value. M4 will presumably need a CLA etc. too....

Does this make sense, or is the joy of using a vintage M3/M4 worth passing up a good deal?

Also....has anyone got any experience of 28mm Summaron and  35mm Summicron (current version) on film.  I have both, but likely to be selling one, just wondered if anyone had any recommendations on these or other lenses for film

If you want to use 28 or 35mm, the MP is the better choice. It will also likely have a clearer viewfinder and it will be easier to load. A meter is really nice to have, and if you don't want to use it, just leave the battery out. Problem solved. I had an M3 DS and an early MP that I bought when it came out (with M6 ISO dial). The M3 was smoother, but I used the MP a lot more since it was quicker and easier to load and I shot a lot of slide film, and for that a meter is necessary...not having to bring one is nice. The MP finder was brighter, but if you intend to only shoot long lenses, the M3 is nice to have. In the end I sold the MP and currently have a .85 M7 a la carte that I got ages ago, which is the best M I have used.

So for my money, I would go for the good deal...you can always resell it and get an M3 later if you like.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

28 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

If you want to use 28 or 35mm, the MP is the better choice. It will also likely have a clearer viewfinder and it will be easier to load. A meter is really nice to have, and if you don't want to use it, just leave the battery out. Problem solved. I had an M3 DS and an early MP that I bought when it came out (with M6 ISO dial). The M3 was smoother, but I used the MP a lot more since it was quicker and easier to load and I shot a lot of slide film, and for that a meter is necessary...not having to bring one is nice. The MP finder was brighter, but if you intend to only shoot long lenses, the M3 is nice to have. In the end I sold the MP and currently have a .85 M7 a la carte that I got ages ago, which is the best M I have used.

So for my money, I would go for the good deal...you can always resell it and get an M3 later if you like.

I would agree with all that but with the proviso that DS M3s are not the way to go, Mine is now dead and unrepairable.

Thanks both. Given the cost I am hoping the MP can hold its value reasonably well...£3.2k seems a pretty good deal for one just 3 months old and complete/boxed/mint? Has the newer style leatherette also, which I must admit I prefer 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matlock said:

I would agree with all that but with the proviso that DS M3s are not the way to go, Mine is now dead and unrepairable.

The shutter brake thing?  That's unfortunate.  The first time I heard about this being the death knell for a DS M3 was when you posted it here. 

I had a US dealer tell me that Leica has been known to turn out one-off parts in order to rescue otherwise dead cameras.  Not sure how true that is or what it would cost.  Of course he was trying to sell me a DS M3 so...

Edited by logan2z

2 hours ago, tap360 said:

I am thinking the 28mm Summaron might work really well the MP...in daylight anyway!

Not so sure about the Summicron, perhaps too modern a version of the lens for film?

The 28mm Summicron does great on film. All the digital lenses do just fine on film...you are unlikely to need the resolution they can provide, but you will have a nice experience with good contrast, lower flare (usually) and no issues with focus shift (generally not a huge issue with film, but it is critical in digital, so all the newer lenses have elminated it.  On the other hand, if you are using film you can be less choosy in most cases, as anything made in the last 30 years for M mount should serve you quite well (including the ZM lenses, Voigtlander lenses etc). Don't worry about newer lenses looking "digital" on film. It being film itself is the biggest influence on whether things look filmic. Perhaps that is obvious, but it seems to be a sticking point for people (when they are afraid of tmax looking digital, etc).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, logan2z said:

The shutter brake thing?  That's unfortunate.  The first time I heard about this being the death knell for a DS M3 was when you posted it here. 

I had a US dealer tell me that Leica has been known to turn out one-off parts in order to rescue otherwise dead cameras.  Not sure how true that is or what it would cost.  Of course he was trying to sell me a DS M3 so...

Might be worth looking into that as, otherwise, the camera is very nearly mint.

Any Leica M is good

untill it fails 😇 one day.

In between we still use it at will for what it was made for ...photographing.

I've used some Leica M over decades, not one is failproof *, I do know that, but they are not fragile tools.

* to say it better : MP and M-A that I use(d) never need repaired/CLAed

Edited by a.noctilux

• 1 month later...

I dug out my M3 last December, and started using it again.  I was thrilled with it to the point I was wondering if I could afford an M-A.  Between this thread, and a few others, I started getting the impression that while the M-A would give me the thrill of a "new camera", the M3 if working correctly is a better camera.  I contacted Don at DAG Cameras, and my M3 is off with him getting rejuvenated.  My request was to think what he would do if it was HIS camera, and go ahead and do all of it.  As for replacing the Vulcanite, I said use whatever you like, to ask me how I would feel about a green and purple M3....   I said "it's up to you what to do".  If Don has a sense of humor, he might well send me a green and purple M3, but I doubt it - and if he does, I'll use it that way.

While it's away, I dug out my newer, but still ancient Nikon F4.  Wow, it's like a tank compared to the M3.  It works nicely, and I'm getting good results, but I think I always got better results with my Leica cameras.  The F4 used to cost a small fortune, but nowadays it's dirt cheap at KEH.  Leica cameras are going up in price every time I check.

I suppose I could get the new M11, but I doubt that's in my future...

9 minutes ago, kivis said:

I had a lovely M3 SS, but never could get meterless.

I had lots of meters, then bought a new Sekonic that fit on top of the M3, but looked totally out of place.  So I searched at KEH Photo, and bought a Leicameter in working condition, and a few weeks later bought another one in brand new condition - it's the latest version of the Leicameter, and fits like it's part of the camera.  It would work just as well on an M-A.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 minute ago, MikeMyers said:

I had lots of meters, then bought a new Sekonic that fit on top of the M3, but looked totally out of place.  So I searched at KEH Photo, and bought a Leicameter in working condition, and a few weeks later bought another one in brand new condition - it's the latest version of the Leicameter, and fits like it's part of the camera.  It would work just as well on an M-A.

Never could get comfy with these light meters. Found an Iphone app, called Lightmeter. Really like it.