M3 or M-A

KAD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Starting with digital M, and moving more and more to analog I have a question (that maybe there is no right answer to...)

I have a M6TTL, that see very little use after I got my M3. The reason for this is several:

• I use 50mm for 95% of my photos, so the viewfinder in the M3 is better suited for me (my M6 is 0.72)
  • Shutter release is sliky smooth on the M3, better than ANY M i have tried
  • No batteries, no lightmeeter increase my awareness and makes to whole experience much more fun
  • Flare issue with the focus window on the M6 keep irritating me
  • I looks better :)

So... My plan now is to sell the M6. I have looked at the M-A, and I like the idea of a new totaly analog M, but.... Having a nice M3, would i give me anything "more"?

As I see it there are some benefits:

• It is a brand new camera, so it should be more reliable?
  • New viewfinder than make it possible to use my 28mm when needed
  • More clear viewfinder
  • 0.7 meter focus which fit to lenses I use

So... anyone out there with both, than can give me and my wallet some advise? I actually find it a bit funny though ,even with a potential new MM and M240 successor out there this year, it do not tempt me as much as a new film M. Digital is still on a fast pace of changes, but even a M3 is "state of the art" when using film :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

M-A makes you to enjoy the BUY OF A NEW FILM CAMERA, which isn't a common experience, these days... :) : of course, its major addon towards your current equipment is the 28mm finder... it depends on your attitude/needs, but to have a pair of bodies, one with 50, the other with 28 can be a very effective setup for street photo.

If this is the value for you, is a good choice and it's all about the wallet... the alternative is obvious : M4-P , same 28mm finder, meterless too, around 1/4 of the cost or even less, many items availble usually in very good conditions, a camera completely maintainable as your M3 : with it, a pleasant duo "Wetzlar+Canada" which could be accompanied with a Canadian lens (many good Canadians Elmarit 28 are available on the market, I have one dated 1982... my standard 28 and see no reason to change it) : roughly, a M4-P + an Elmarit 28 11804 means half the cost of a M-A body.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 5

M-A makes you to enjoy the BUY OF A NEW FILM CAMERA, which isn't a common experience, these days... :) : of course, its major addon towards your current equipment is the 28mm finder... it depends on your attitude/needs, but to have a pair of bodies, one with 50, the other with 28 can be a very effective setup for street photo.

Buying new gear is ALWAYS something to consider ;) I also agree with actually having two bodies. Not just for having two lenses available instantly, but I sometimes find myself taking a few photos indoor, and then go out needing a different film ISO. Having two bodies, I can differ on the film sensitivity more easily.

• Like 1

Starting with digital M, and moving more and more to analog I have a question (that maybe there is no right answer to...)

I have a M6TTL, that see very little use after I got my M3. The reason for this is several:

• I use 50mm for 95% of my photos, so the viewfinder in the M3 is better suited for me (my M6 is 0.72)

So... My plan now is to sell the M6. I have looked at the M-A, and I like the idea of a new totaly analog M, but.... Having a nice M3, would i give me anything "more"?

I think, if you use a 50 for 95% of your photos you will miss the VF of the M3. It's not clear from your posting whether the reason you don't use your 28mm much is because you don't get on with the M6 or whether you just don't care much for the 28mm focal length. If the latter, changing cameras won't help much. If the former, an M4-P (as Luigi says) is a fifth of the price of the M-A for the equivalent utility. If you just fancy a new film camera (and why not, I did) then go for it, the M-A is a terrific camera to use and own.

• Like 1

Having two bodies, I can differ on the film sensitivity more easily.

This is very true and in many ways this points to buying cheaper cameras of equivalent functionality – you can have four or five nice M3, M2 and M4-P bodies (all with a different flavour of film inside) for the price of a single M-A or MP. It depends whether you want your head to rule your heart or not?:D

• Like 2

Wallet issues aside, as they are for you alone to determine, there is a value in having two film cameras, as others have noted.

I had a M4 and M6, traded them in for an M-A. The biggest reason for me is that the viewfinder is brighter (had all 3 in the store at the same time and I compared them myself).

The M4 doesn't have 75 or 28 framelines and I never really bonded with the M6. If I do get another film camera when my wallet allows it, probably go back to a M4. Something special to me about that camera.

Also, film loading in the M3 is a lot slower -- Leica changed for good with the M4.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have and use both as my primary cameras.

I use the M3 for B&W and M-A for color. (and my IIIg for specialy color; the lomo purple hue film being currently loaded).

While others very well might, I don't find the framelines a big differentiator as I use an external VF for my 28 even with the M-A.

I find luminence and clarity of the VF on the M-A much better than my M3, simply due to the age difference. I have read others swear that this isn't the case with their old Ms, though, so there you go.

The M3's VF is truly unique and unmatched for 50mm use, and I use my DR summicron with it and take extra joy from this that I wouldn't get from any other film M.

Two other tangible benefits that I get from the M-A over the M3 are the extra minimum focus range (b/c I get really close with my 28) as well as the built into film loading spool. These features are present in any film M that succeeded the M3, so nothing unique to the M-A.

If I had to have one, I would clearly take the M-A, even at the price premium. But the M3 wasn't a huge investment, and it comes in handy as I don't use only one film type and anyone who likes to use different films (or simply toggle b/n B&W and color) will find good use from two bodies.

• Like 4

Why not just upgrade the viewfinder in the M6 to the flare resistant MP finder. I did on mine and it was a huge improvement. It also has 28mm framelines, and after a good CLA mine is as silky smooth as any M3 I have tried.

• Like 1

New viewfinder than make it possible to use my 28mm when needed

If you use the 50mm for most of your work, then I should think you will miss the M3 viewfinder because it is almost 1:1 in magnification. You can shoot with both eyes open. You can't do that with a .72 viewfinder without a magnifier which darkens the view.

• Like 1

New viewfinder than make it possible to use my 28mm when needed

I use a CV 28mm viewfinder on my M3 all the time. Besides showing the FOV it also shows the BG/FG balance; something an optical RF viewfinder does not. I can move almost without issue back and forth between focusing and composing and the DOF of a 28 makes it a bit 'safer' if things are happening quickly. They're cheaper than a new M-A too. :) Some people can't stand externals but it might be unwise to ignore the use of one here without consideration.

The M3 and its VF are a joy to use and my copy holds its own against my new-ish 0.72 MP for use-time, but t's also really nice to get a truly new camera.

Such a problem to have

s-a

Why not just upgrade the viewfinder in the M6 to the flare resistant MP finder. I did on mine and it was a huge improvement. It also has 28mm framelines, and after a good CLA mine is as silky smooth as any M3 I have tried.

That's what I would do. Complete CLA and upgraded finder for less than half what a new M-A will cost just in depreciation the second you buy it. Leave the batteries out if the meter bothers you.

• Like 2

I use a CV 28mm viewfinder on my M3 all the time. Besides showing the FOV it also shows the BG/FG balance; something an optical RF viewfinder does not. I can move almost without issue back and forth between focusing and composing and the DOF of a 28 makes it a bit 'safer' if things are happening quickly. They're cheaper than a new M-A too. :) Some people can't stand externals but it might be unwise to ignore the use of one here without consideration.

The M3 and its VF are a joy to use and my copy holds its own against my new-ish 0.72 MP for use-time, but t's also really nice to get a truly new camera.

Such a problem to have

s-a

Can I ask what "BG/FG balance" means?

As I see it there are some benefits:

• It is a brand new camera, so it should be more reliable?
  • New viewfinder than make it possible to use my 28mm when needed
  • More clear viewfinder
  • 0.7 meter focus which fit to lenses I use

the _only_ reason you should get a M-A over, say, another M3, given the list above (besides GAS, which I don't think should be neglected) is 28mm framlines, but for those you should definitely consider a M4-P instead.

Reliability? For the cash you are considering putting up, you can refurbish and repair the time-proven M3 for the coming 100 years, so this is in no way or form a valid consideration.

28mm framelines? fair consideration, but a M4-P would be the economical choice (and again, leaves HUGE amounts of money for repair/calibration).

more clear viewfinder? I don't know what this means irl, I can not see anyone taking issues with the VF in the M3 (or M4 for that matter). the potentially minuscule difference is very likely dwarfed by other shortcomings found behind the camera.

The M4-P has 0.7m focus. I thought even the M3 did, so I'm confused.

• Like 1

Thank you all for some interesting replies :) AS some of you have mentioned GAS is something to consider in this discussion ;)

I do very rarely use my 28mm. More often it is my 90mm Cron or Summarit that is used, and again that favor the M3 viewfinder.

A couple of "small" details that favour M3 or MA is that from purely "aesthetically" viewpoint I favor the film advance lever and rewind knob on the M3/MA by a good margin over the M4/M6!

Did you consider a M2?

I use a M6, M2 and M3 next to each other. The M2 is a beautiful camera that feels almost as good as the M3. Its the perfect 2nd body for 35mm for me, and can be had for a very fair prize.

And it does not look that different from a M-A :)

• Like 4

[*]0.7 meter focus which fit to lenses I use

The M3 as standard has a minimum focus distance of 1 metre. However, a minor and simple modification that you can achieve yourself in a few minutes can reduce that distance to 0.7 metres.

Gary

I can't tell you whether to choose and M-A or an M3. I have them both and love them both. Other than rangefinder differences my M-A feels very nice, much the same as my M3.

Right now my M-A is certainly getting the most use. It loads easy and the viewfinder is very, very nice.

Everyone has reasons to buy a new camera. As long as it makes sense to you it really doesn't matter whether or not it means anything to anyone else. My reasons for buying the M-A are several, but the primary one was that I wanted a new, meterless Leica M film camera that was my own. I have owned several nice Leicas, all pre-owned. Not this one. No one else has owned it before me. This may matter to my kids or grandkids as time passes, maybe it only matters to me.

I will undoubtedly keep my M3, but it will be a backup for those times when the M-A goes to Leica for service. Every 10 years or so. :)

• Like 7