M3 or M-A

KAD

2 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

When I don't have my batteryless Sekonic with me I use the same app, seems to work reasonably well. I sometimes just open the app to check if I guessed the lighting situation "correctly" without even having the camera with me.. practice makes perfect. 

• Like 1

Life is strange.  After using my M3 for a while, it is now off at DAG Camera Repair, where Don will make it "into a camera that he would feel good about using", meaning he has a blank check to do what it needs.

Then today, I found a used M-A for sale with a warranty for around $5,000.  I'm not in any way "wealthy", but I guess I could spend that much, but I know I will like the viewfinder on my M3 more than the finder on the M-A.  Eventually new M-A cameras will be available for sale, probably for around $6500 or so, and having a new camera warranty would potentially be very useful.

It seems pointless for me to be using both an M-A and a M3.  (....and I've got an M2 sitting here, waiting for a trip to DAG.)

In the meantime, I have been enjoying my Nikon F4 all over again, but comparing one to the other is like comparing a tiger to a lion.  The comparison is meaningless.  The only advantage I see in the F4 is when I use long lenses.  But I've been scanning my old 1960's negatives from my M2 with a 50mm Summicron, and my scans seem "better" than those from my F4.

Along with that, I don't know how long I'll remain fascinated with film.  My real choice is how I would compare my M3 or M-A to my M10, and so far, I suspect the M10 has an advantage in so many ways.  If I get tired of film, I'll go back to digital.  Maybe.

• Like 2