M3 or M-A

KAD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M3 as standard has a minimum focus distance of 1 metre. However, a minor and simple modification that you can achieve yourself in a few minutes can reduce that distance to 0.7 metres.

Gary

Is there any chance that you could share the details? Would be very interested to get to 0,7 with my M3 and Cron. Thanks!

Is there any chance that you could share the details? Would be very interested to get to 0,7 with my M3 and Cron. Thanks!

You can use Google to find the precise instructions and illustrations.

Above the lens throat there is a curved lever that stops the rangefinder mechanism at 1 metre. You can move this with your finger to observe the movement.

With a pair of long nosed pliers you need to slightly expand the curve so the lever hits the stop later in its movement, hence reducing the minimum focus distance. It's not fragile, but do it gently and intend to achieve the adjustment with several attempts, fitting the lens after each bend. You'll notice an immediate improvement each time until you reach the point you want to be at.

The difficulty of this operation is that your working in a small space and at an angle. You may need a second pair of pliers to hold the lever firm whilst bending the lever with the second pair.

I've done this on two M3 cameras and there are no issues with it. An M3 with a 0.7m minimum focus distance was a much better camera for my uses.

Gary

• Like 1

I upgraded my TTL with the anti-flare "MP" fix and it makes a world of a difference. I shoot mainly slide film and need the meter so for me the TTL is a perfect camera. With plenty of use and a service by Leica, adjusting inter alia the shutter release's trigger point, it is now as smooth as my M4.

My first Leica was an M3 but there were two things I didn't like about it. First the film loading was too time consuming for regular use. I do have a Leica II which has an even more complex loading system that also uses a separate take-up spool, but when I use that camera I am in a different frame of mind than when I shoot with the TTL or the M4. For regular shooting, I depend on the speed that the "tulip" take-up spool offers (a brilliant system imho).

The second thing was that I didn't find the viewfinder magnification up to all the hype I had read about it. I couldn't shoot with both eyes open with it. I didn't miss the larger magnification when I moved to the TTL. Everyone is different, of course.

I could add a third thing - I didn't like how the M3 looks. I much prefer the flat front style (in my view, the black paint M4 is the most beautiful camera made).

I can understand the sentiment of wanting to have one's own camera, one which no one else has previously owned. If the cash is there, then the M-A is a very nice camera, indeed. I was very pleasantly surprised at photokina, solid Leica craft at its best. That said, as I recall it did not feel as smooth as a well used "old" (M3, M2, M4) Leica with the brass gears. The film wind was more like my TTL. But, as my TTL also shows, with use it will take on the camera-equivalent feel of well walked-in shoe. It will just take a while to get there.

Philip

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As much as I like the black finish on the M-A, one downside for those who wear eye-glasses with metal frames is that it picks up very fine bright marks near the VF as a result of the glasses frames rubbing against the camera. This are visible if held in certain light, although they cannot be felt. My MM is the same way. I would think that the chrome finish doesn't have this issue.

In my experience since I bought my first Leica M2 in 1965 I have never, ever had a problem with M2, M4, M4-P or even M9 (to bridge the digital gap.) That encompasses several of each generations.

I find it difficult to find that Leica's M-A is problematic, but if it is it certainly points equally to a systematic problem of either Leica or ineptitude of the user which is more likely today than ever before. IMHO, it is not happening like that. Show me the evidence.

• Like 1

In my experience since I bought my first Leica M2 in 1965 I have never, ever had a problem with M2, M4, M4-P or even M9 (to bridge the digital gap.) That encompasses several of each generations.

I find it difficult to find that Leica's M-A is problematic, but if it is it certainly points equally to a systematic problem of either Leica or ineptitude of the user which is more likely today than ever before. IMHO, it is not happening like that. Show me the evidence.

IMO they got it right. My M-A seems very well constructed and there have been no problems. I don't really expect any.

I should also say that though there is a lot of angst about the M9, mine has been problem free for since 2010.

• Like 1

The second thing was that I didn't find the viewfinder magnification up to all the hype I had read about it. I couldn't shoot with both eyes open with it. I didn't miss the larger magnification when I moved to the TTL. Everyone is different, of course.

Philip

This is interesting to me because I often think an M3 is best for shooting with a 50mm lens but you are suggesting this is not necessarily the case?

Got to be honest, I have never seen any difference between the M6 viewfinder and the MP. I own both and have never seen the "viewfinder flare" on my M6.

Bit of a non issue really.

Have no problem with the M-A.

Got to be honest. I have owned an M6, an M6TTL and an M7. I got viewfinder flare everytime the sun was located just outside either upper corner of the viewfinders on all 3 cameras.

Bit of a frustrating issue really.

• Like 1

Got to be honest, I have never seen any difference between the M6 viewfinder and the MP. I own both and have never seen the "viewfinder flare" on my M6.

Bit of a non issue really.

Got to be honest. I have owned an M6, an M6TTL and an M7. I got viewfinder flare everytime the sun was located just outside either upper corner of the viewfinders on all 3 cameras.

Bit of a frustrating issue really.

Someone's not being honest. :p

Fred

• Like 4

I'd notice the flare when indoors shooting just to the right of an outside window.

Pete

Me too. Even a strong interior light would do it. Just as I was about to take a shot, the focus patch would go completely white. Drove me nuts. The MP finder upgrade was fairly inexpensive and completely solved the problem.

Yes, my first couple of Leica bodies were M6TTLs and I noticed the patch flaring out often enough to find it irritating. That said, it didn't stop me using the cameras and the 'problem' went away because I later bought a couple of M7 bodies. If I hadn't bought the M7 cameras I don't think I would have spent money having the finders altered.

I use an MP and M6. Personally I find the patch flare irritating. I still need to have it upgraded,

but might decide to sell it and get the M-A instead.

Purely because of GAS.

On the other hand... i could probably get the viewfinder upgrade on the M6 combined with a 50mm Summilux.

First world problems here! :D