Polarizer for M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone used a polarizer with the M8? I'm interested in any problems with IR interactions or problems using with an IR filter.

Has anyone used the polarizer that comes with a viewer that fits in the hot shoe? What is the brand name?

Thanks,

Mitchell

The Leica M polarizer works fine on the M8. It works without occupying the hot shoe.However, the adapters only go up to 49mm.

I agree. There are however 'quick and dirty' solutions too. Many polarisers have a direction mark on the rotating part of the mount. To darken the sky, just rotate this part so that it points in the direction of the sun, and you are home free. To cut reflexes from a horizontal surface (water etc) point the mark up, at 12 o'clock. General rule: Correct direction is perpendicular to the reflecting surface. Experiment and learn.

This last fact can be used to mark a polariser mount (e.g. from B+W) without the mark. Lay out a horizontal reflecting surface. View it through the filter, rotating the outer part until the reflection is minimised. At that orientation, mark the ring at 12 o'clock.

A pola filter gives the same result at two orientations, 180° apart (that is the idea behind the M Polariser). It does not matter which orientation you use.

You can approximate the Kenko solution by carrying two filters, one for the lens and one smaller (maybe 39 mm) for viewing, both marked as above. Identical orientations give identical results.

Linear and circular polarisers also give the same result. The M8 has no beam splitter or mirror behind the lens, so it works fine with the linear, less expensive kind.

The old man from the Age of the Nicol Prism

It is essential to use an IR filter behind the polarizer on the M8. IR light is not polarized, thus visible light is halved, IR not, so IR contamination is doubled (at least)

Thanks everyone. Jaap I'm glad you mentioned this. I thought there was something like that, but couldn't remember.

I hope someone knows where to get the Kenco in the US. Or I may just go with two sizes to fit my M lenses. That way I'll have one for the lens and one for my eye.

Best,

Mitchell

Thanks everyone. Jaap I'm glad you mentioned this. I thought there was something like that, but couldn't remember.

I hope someone knows where to get the Kenco in the US. Or I may just go with two sizes to fit my M lenses. That way I'll have one for the lens and one for my eye.

Best,

Mitchell

Mitchell, buy a step-up ring for a filter you have or can get and dremel an appropriate slit in that ring. In that way you can see the effect directly in the viewfinder. You only need to buy two cheap step-ups at Heavystar on e-bay insted of an extra expensive filter, which works not as easily as this solution as well.

filter.jpg

Try this: get a pola filter that is bigger than your lenses. To use it, rotate it in front of your eyes, watching the polarization effect, and then hold it against the front of the lens with the chosen orientation.

When I tried this with a Canon pola I bot a lot of years ago it wasn't particularly effective.. I hauled out the pola for the D2 and will try it with the lenses on my M8. On the D2, it was much more effective than is the Canon.

Watch this space.

Mitchell, buy a step-up ring for a filter you have or can get and dremel an appropriate slit in that ring. In that way you can see the effect directly in the viewfinder. You only need to buy two cheap step-ups at Heavystar on e-bay insted of an extra expensive filter, which works not as easily as this solution as well.

filter.jpg

Jaapv,

I have never seen slit- step-up rings. I don't see them in B&H. If you know of any in the US, please post link. Thanks!

I had the Filterview set up for my M7... Concept was great but the cheap metal and poor workmanship left alot to be desired. I had SK Grimes (S.K. Grimes Services for Large Format Photographers, CNC Photographer's Machinist)

examine the pieces and they built their version in high grade aluminium and it works beautifully. I heartily endorse it and if you are interested, just call them and use my name. I use the UV/IR filter under the adaptor as the IR is obviously not polarized and is evffectively doubled intensity-wise by the polar. :) :)

Jaapv,

I have never seen slit- step-up rings. I don't see them in B&H. If you know of any in the US, please post link. Thanks!

You make the slit yourself. It is quite easy- these things are made of low-grade aluminium.

filter.jpg

Hi Jaapv,

This is very interesting, thank you for sharing. Can you accurately frame through the slit?!?