Polarizer for M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Jaapv,

This is very interesting, thank you for sharing. Can you accurately frame through the slit?!?

Come to think of it ... if the filter is large enough for the slit to be seen the viewfinder, it will be blocking the VF. Does the focusing even work?

Mitchell,

Some pictures of my filterview step-up ring set + B&W polarizer for Leica M cameras.

Some like it, some don't like it.

I use it with my wide-angle lenses: the 21mm and 24mm Elmarits and have it ready for use with the 55mm filter ring in place.

It blocks the view through the viewfinder, but I use the 21mm and 24mm wide-angle lenses with separate finders.

Not perfect but it works.

The ring set has step-up rings from 39mm-46mm, 46-55mm, 55-60mm and 60-77mm and can be bought from Lutz Konermann.

url: (http://www.leicagoodies.com/steps.html)

Frank Reusen

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But that is exactly the problem, Jaap, the low-grade aluminium. That is why I had SK Grimes make a step up system of HIGH-grade aluminium. It works beautifully...

Albert:)

The quality of the aluminium does not make a whit of difference in the functionality, Albert :) I have just added two more slits, it looks like the one below now, and it still is rigid and firm.

It is essential to use an IR filter behind the polarizer on the M8. IR light is not polarized, thus visible light is halved, IR not, so IR contamination is doubled (at least)

Jaap, all electromagnetic radiation can be polarised, including radio waves, but it may be that our polarising foils and filters do not work efficiently at longer wavelengths. At the practical end, you are right of course – UV/IR under the polariser. We are lucky that the crop factor helps us to avoid filter mount vignetting!

Partly different subject: For lenses with filter threads up to and including E49, I do much prefer the Leica Universal swing-out type. Really!

The old man from the Age of the POOEL

• 2 months later...

This is in fact the standard Heliopan solution. Added the necessary step up ring(s) it will fit to your lens screw mount.

All Heliopan step up rings and this special rangefinder adapter ring are made of sturdy brass. The filter size is 77mm and the reduction ring side can be choosen to 60mm or 55mm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!