I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The trunkated 4 is really the trademark of M-A :p .

Before I buy my chrome M-A, the seller has point that out.

That pleased me and I just have bought it for that reason ;) .

Seriously, the "4" are complete in dials of all my M4, M4-P, M4-2 with that notch flush.

Looking carefully, the "4" click just not really in front with these old M.

Odd thing...or mysteries of M-A.

I don't understand why the black M-A come with R lever M4 style, and chrome M-A with M2 style.

And also the "vulcanite" or leatherette is not the same with black and chrome.

The large span of serial number is another mystery for me: 4 915 xxx chrome and 4 697 xxx black.

Arnaud

• Like 1

Hello Arnaud,

After looking thru the various models of meterless "M" cameras in the WIKI at the top of this page: It would appear that only the M3 which has the sequence 1/2 sec - 1/4 sec & the M-A have the truncated 1/4 sec. All of the other meterless M's do not have partial "4's".

The truncation seems to be somewhat more severe on the M-A than on the M3.

As to the other differences you noted: It would appear that Leica has decided on their own "ala carte" program given that the features you noted are pretty much interchangeable among various models.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Hmmm, a little confused on this one Arnaud. I own a black M-A. The rewind as well as the wind on lever are compatible with the M2/M3 style. I haven't noticed a difference between the black or chrome M-As in this regard. I have read that there is some difference between the leatherette used on both cameras but nothing relative the the rewind.

BTW, my M-A has become my primary film camera and I absolutely love it.

"...Odd thing...or mysteries of M-A.

I don't understand why the black M-A come with R lever M4 style, and chrome M-A with M2 style.

And also the "vulcanite" or leatherette is not the same with black and chrome.

The large span of serial number is another mystery for me: 4 915 xxx chrome and 4 697 xxx black."

Arnaud

Edited by ThePioneer

The reason the notch is off center between the 1/2 sec & 1/4 sec is that when the first M3's were built the original shutter sequence was from 1/2 sec to 1/5 sec. Then the spacing for the meter connection was in the center. When the shutter was replaced/recalibrated with the current sequence the connecting point for the add on meter had to be left where it was previously to allow seamless compatibility when using the add on meter with either version of M3 shutter.

Hi Michael,

Interesting tidbit here about the M-A and the 'truncated 4'. I never thought about that. 

However, I am not sure I agree, as there are many, many M3's - both early and late - that have a fully intact number 4 on the shutter speed dial when the the sequence is 1 - 2- 'notch' - 4 - 8. 

In the case of 1 - 2-  notch - 5, of course the 4 is just left out completely.

I suspect the one M3 on the Wiki page people are viewing could in fact be considered an unusual example of a small mistake within M3 production  :o

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by sumolux
  • Like 1

Hmmm, a little confused on this one Arnaud. I own a black M-A. The rewind as well as the wind on lever are compatible with the M2/M3 style. I haven't noticed a difference between the black or chrome M-As in this regard.

I think Arnaud is referring to the little R lever that releases the clutch. There is a subtle difference with this lever between black chrome and silver bodies.

(My photos also show the difference in leatherette texture that you and others have already noted.)

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ian, is it too early to wish you Happy Anniversary?

Well, my wedding anniversary isn't until next month (neither my wife nor I tend to remember the day) but if you are referring to the anniversary of the buying of my (first) M-A, then it's not too early, I think I bought it in late-October. :) Sadly, the actual camera body I bought a year ago languishes somewhere between Bruton Place and Wetzlar, hopefully destined to be repaired, refurbished and resold (though the last I heard it was still in London) – it was replaced earlier this year by Leica because of an intermittent light leak problem.

Incidentally, the M-A is the ideologically pure M camera that you talk about in another thread. It really is the essence of a Leica RF camera (at least of the ones that can be bought new). It has absolutely nothing that is unnecessary nor is it missing anything that is necessary. It is the perfect camera for both the gearhead and the photographer. :D  

• Like 6

In the interests of getting the thread back on track – more photos, less discussion – the perfect, most functional, M combination (IMO):

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 6

But Wattsy, we love our M-As and must discuss them in obsessive detail! Isn't that the purpose of this thread?

Back to the amputated 4...  The font for the numerals on the dial in the M-A differs from the M3 in the photos shown above. It seems to be the same as the font used on the modern lenses, such as the Summilux 50 f/1.4 Asph.  So that dial really brings together elements from the old (the light meter coupling notch) with the contemporary font. The dial demonstrates the philosophy behind the M-A as a modern camera that is proud of its heritage, and is (as others have written) the successor and heir to the pre-electronic Leica cameras.

:)

• Like 1

Just curious...?

Has anyone tried out a Leicameter on their M-A yet? I would love to see a picture of that combo together....

I wonder what the market would be for a new production run of Leica light meters? It sounds crazy enough that it might succeed.

• Like 1

I wonder what the market would be for a new production run of Leica light meters? It sounds crazy enough that it might succeed.

Why not? A new Leicameter would be awfully nice to have with this.

Mind you: there are a lot of old ones around that still work perfectly.....Have a Leicameter for my M4 that is spot on with my Gossen after all these years.

Uses a small battery voltage adjuster so it can us regular batteries with no problems. 

Hello Sumolux,

Welcome to the Forum.

The M3's with truncated 4's appear in the 700,000 & 800,000 number ranges. Later production M3's share the same notch that ends at the top of the 4 that subsequent meterless M's do. Where the cutoff is in the 800,000's is unclear. The M3 in the WIKI at the top of this page is in the 875,000 range.

Sometimes there is not a precise line of demarcation when researching Leitz/Leica.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

I had an M3 with Leicameter. Whilst it was a good idea, the camera just feels and handles so much better without it. It's a bit of a carbuncle on an otherwise perfect design. IMHO of course. 

Just imagine if they could make an M-A with a built in meter. Oh hang on……..

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 5

It would be nice but modern one like a Voigtlander VCmeter II.

I have old Leicameter MR4 but don't use them.

Just for fun some photos with these 40 years old that I used with my M4 days.

• Like 3

Black one seems newer than chrome.

• Like 5

I must admit an MR type meter does not appeal personally. A major part of the attraction of a meterless M is that I use it in conjunction (often quite loosely) with a small incident meter. If I'm going to stick a reflective meter on top I might as well use an M6/7/P and avoid cluttering the top plate (albeit losing the clean VF frame view in the process). I prefer to keep the metering separate, in my pocket.

Just the body and a 35mm lens does the job for me. :)

• Like 15

I must admit an MR type meter does not appeal personally. A major part of the attraction of a meterless M is that I use it in conjunction (often quite loosely) with a small incident meter. If I'm going to stick a reflective meter on top I might as well use an M6/7/P and avoid cluttering the top plate (albeit losing the clean VF frame view in the process). I prefer to keep the metering separate, in my pocket.

Just the body and a 35mm lens does the job for me. :)

As a newcomer to meterless (from years of metered cameras), I tend to agree. In daylight, a meter isn't needed. The old "Sunny 16" rule is sufficient and I've found that with some practice, one quickly develops an awareness of lighting conditions. Today there are also apps like the iPhone light meter app that are useful for instruction and practice, even when not taking photographs. When I'm walking outside, I'll think to myself that it is, for example, "f/8" cloudiness/light (based on Sunny 16) and check it with the iPhone to see if I'm right. I do have an incident light meter, too, although I haven't had made as much use of it.

If they made a new reflective light meter like the old Leicameters, would I buy it? I'm not sure. If it was a dual purpose meter with both reflective and incident readings, I'd be more inclined. The geekiness factor would be a plus.  B)  I'm amazed at how many people have come up to me to begin a conversation about my Fuji X100s, which has a style like the Leica rangefinders, and more recently when I've been out with my new M-A. A Leicameter on top of that would certainly be a topic of conversation!

Edited by AAK