Monochrom and colour filters

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I use the yellow, orange, and red filers on my monochrome, but not all the time. It certainly isn't necessary, because the files are very flexible for post processing. However, if you are looking for a dark sky (an effect that can get overused), an orange or red filter is the way to go because it better assures the natural falloff in tones. You may be able to get there in post by dodging and burning, but I find it harder.

I think the filters make the most sense for landscape and architectural photographic efforts because you have the time to think through what you are doing. In my mind, they make less sense for street photography because the light and skin tones are constantly changing.

• Like 3

I've read that Bresson refused to use filters.

Yes but he had far different varieties of film than we do now, and it's intrinsic sensitivity to light would modify the tonal range in itself. With the reintroduction of 'retro' films we can now do it all over again. Besides which Bresson was his own publicist and feigned to show off the idea that his pictures were entirely natural and un-embelished, despite that fact that he manipulated the world simply by editing the scene with his camera. So don't mistake what he says for some sense of 'purity'.

Steve

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Sorry not the right place to ask but my new MM has just arrived and I want to know how long will the battery last........I.e. can I get a full day normal shooting on a full charge

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
In machine gun or sniper mode?

The battery will get better after a few charges, but then should be OK for 450 pictures if you moderate chimping.

Steve

Street photography say 100 plus shots a day

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
In machine gun or sniper mode?

The battery will get better after a few charges, but then should be OK for 450 pictures if you moderate chimping.

Steve

Sorry missed the bit at the bottom.

Away to put it on charge tonight and go and take some shots tomorrow morning

Thanks Steve

Easy, it will do that right out of the box. Good luck tomorrow.

Steve

..... and don't be disheartened by the results on the camera screen ....they will probably look a bit flat and uninspiring ..... which is exactly what they should be like if exposed properly.

they will be much better in LR ...... and you really need to view them as digital B&W negatives that need 'printing' with SEfexP2 as your enlarger .......

have fun :)

I just bought two orange filters and they helps to add drama to the sky as expected. This is an image from today that also has been edited in SEP. I have used the MM exclusively for the last two months, even though it is tempting to go for the 240 now when we have the beautiful autumn colours. But I will continue to use the MM all through october as my only camera. This is an image from today of our vacation house(s).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

What filter do you use for street - medium yellow, light yellow or none?

In my experience filters are not necessary for street photography. The most often used filters (yellow-red) darken the blues. In landscapes this results in more natural to dramatic skies and more density in the shadows (that contain a lot of blue). In street photography, where skies are less prominent and mostly even absent, filters will result in more contrast between sunlit and shadow areas on sunny days. On overcast days you will see hardly any effect. That is my (film) experience anyway. If you want to know everything on how filters work in BandW, read Ansel's books.

• Like 1

Thank you for your comments. I read the Ansel series decades ago and I'll revisit the filter part. In my film days, I often included some sky so yellow and orange filters were used. I'll try going without a filter for street.

By the way the latest LFI states that Leica will begin to sell color, polarizing and ND filters in November.

Edited by LeicaPassion

By the way the latest LFI states that Leica will begin to sell color, polarizing and ND filters in November.

I doubt that Leica will make the filters themselves. They will probably rebrand Heliopan, just like Hasselblad did. Which is fine 'cause Heliopan is great.