Is it new?

SillyBun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If a Rolls Royce owner can get their head around the idea of leather coming from cows that fart and shit in a field it makes a finger print seem trivial.

:)

Steve

Rolls Royce hides com from cage fed Kobe Beef where the cows are hand fed beer and massaged daily.

I wonder if I may ask why and how this should be of any importance? Given that there is no way of detecting whether a new camera is "just new" or "untouched by anyone new" and given that you have not the slightest disadvantage even if your camera has been touched by another customer, why does it matter?

Are you serious? Do you want to pay for something that suppose to be new but in fact it is used? How about a used sneaker? Yes, there is no way of knowing if the unit has been used , and that was my original question. BTW, touched and used are two different things.

Are you serious? Do you want to pay for something that suppose to be new but in fact it is used? How about a used sneaker? Yes, there is no way of knowing if the unit has been used , and that was my original question. BTW, touched and used are two different things.

Actually, you just said "new". See your first post.

You did not answer my question and I am indeed serious. If I can not distinguish the product from new and it performs like new and the manufacturer treats me as if I had bought it as new, then I can not conceive of any difference.

Things are different for other kinds of goods. I wash new shirts and underwear before using them. I would obviously not buy any used tomatoes.

Oh, I love browsing second hand stores but I don't think I would buy an expensive camera there.

There are an awful lot of clothes and shoes (and sneakers) to be found in shops that don't meet the 'new' criteria of the OP, and I wonder what they think happens to all those they try on for size if they don't fit?

Steve

• Like 1

Here is my question again:

How do you know if you bought a new unit? Is the M 240 sealed in the box?

If you don't know the answer, so be it. I didn't ask for opinion on if I should care whether the unit is new or not. To many, maybe you don't care if someone licked the candy before you did. I do and that is why I asked the question in the first place.

So, if you have nothing better to say, ..... you know the rest.

What feature? If you mean a way to ascertain the number of actuations? As I explained before, you cannot deduce from that number whether the camera has been used before.

Say it has 201 actuations. That can either mean that it went through QC a few times, or that it sailed through with 80 and somebody else took 121 images with it and returned it to the dealer. You would never know.

Edited by jaapv

Actually, you just said "new". See your first post.

You did not answer my question and I am indeed serious. If I can not distinguish the product from new and it performs like new and the manufacturer treats me as if I had bought it as new, then I can not conceive of any difference.

Things are different for other kinds of goods. I wash new shirts and underwear before using them. I would obviously not buy any used tomatoes.

Oh, I love browsing second hand stores but I don't think I would buy an expensive camera there.

If my intension is to buy something new, I wouldn't go browse second hand stores. If I'm buying something new, I want to make sure it is. Yes, if there is no such a way of determining if the unit is new, then it is up to you if you still want to take the risk. If you read my question, you could of just say no.

What feature? If you mean a way to ascertain the number of actuations? As I explained before, you cannot deduce from that number whether the camera has been used before.

Say it has 201 actuations. That can either mean that it went through QC a few times, or that it sailed through with 80 and somebody else took 121 images with it and returned it to the dealer. You would never know.

You are right, but at least you would question 300, 500, 1000 or maybe 5000 no? Yes, there might not be a set number, but common sense can use here right?

What feature? If you mean a way to ascertain the number of actuations?

This is an opportunity to be creative. Aircraft use is not measured by the number of take-off and landings but we know the total must always divisible by two when it is parked. :) Aircraft use is measured by running time, as are tractors. A digital Leica could follow a similar metric, perhaps total power-on time and open-shutter events, concatenated in HEX.

Has anyone figured out the M Typ 240 unique file IDs? Thanks to our member, Biogon for the list.