Latest modus operandi for GPS a stupid backward step

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If I have read the information on the latest firmware xxxx.15 correctly, if you lose the GPS signal, now the GPS data is deleted after 5 minutes instead of 24 hours. What total dork came up with that bright idea? It now means that every time you go into a building for more than five minutes or even go down a street with high buildings on either side, your GPS data will disappear and any pictures you take will not have GPS location. This is idiotic in the extreme. The previous system was far better. If they wanted to change it, they should have put in a menu option 5 minutes, 1 hour, 24 hours. This change makes it pretty much a waste of time to have an MF grip mounted. The pick up of GPS lock was weak enough, due to a poor aerial, as it was but at least you knew every time it did pick up a lock, the data was retained for 24 hours.

Wilson

Agree that this was not a well thought out item and it is expensive for what it does. I have one for each M240 and now one of them seems to have a very loose feeling grip which is not rock steady like the other one. OK the top can be plastic, but the grip itself and perhaps base would better serve me if it were aluminum, but then again Leica would charge US$2k for that model with still lousy GPS reception!

I'm sure the rationale was that without GPS signal one can not be certain that the camera is still in the position recorded. . In 24 hours the camera could have moved anywhere on the world. Better to record no location that a false location (at least I'm convinced that was the reasoning.)

I'm sure the rationale was that without GPS signal one can not be certain that the camera is still in the position recorded. . In 24 hours the camera could have moved anywhere on the world. Better to record no location that a false location (at least I'm convinced that was the reasoning.)

Then it should have been an option. The GPS reception is so weak, slow to pick up, weather and location sensitive and generally flaky on the MF grip, that with the five minute limitation, GPS becomes close to useless. I am considering telling Leica that the MF grip has been mis-sold. I could live with the poor reception taken with the 24 hour position retention. If you are moving to a different country, you can always switch GPS off for a bit or as I used to do, have Profile 4 as “disabled auto switch off" and then stand outside until a new position is picked up before returning to another Profile. Another solution for the FW upgrade would have been to leave the 24 hour reset but put in a forced reset option. If no signal was picked up at that point, it would be fair enough to delete the last position.

My Garmin portable GPS picks up a satellite in about a quarter to a third the time that the MF grip takes, I assume due to a superior aerial arrangement. The GPS on my wife’s old V-Lux 20 works better than my MF grip.

Wilson

• Like 7