110 Planar

Printmaker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Rolo:

...When eventually the S kit sold, with massive depreciation, I bought a replacement mint 203FE and ..... an Ebony 617se, plus 4 LF lenses.  Now, I’m all 120 film and quietly very pleased.  

🙂

Unlucky timing, or you would have had a chance to meet (one of) the nicest group on LUF, around Hartmut, Kladdi and his wife.

Edited by tri

On 8/18/2019 at 4:30 PM, Stuart Richardson said:

but sometimes I wish I could get a film version of the S...I imagine there is enough image circle for 645...a roll film version of the S would be unbelievable. I guess the closest we have would be the Contax 645...

On 8/18/2019 at 10:42 PM, peterv said:

I like the idea, it has come up on this board earlier this summer. Thing is,  Medium Format Film 6×4.5 has a 70mm diagonal and Leica S has a 54mm diagonal, not larger according to Peter Karbe.

Big lenses for what would be a fairly small piece of film. The S lens are also designed in concert with the digital sensor and presumably, like SL lenses, utilise digital corrections to counter distortion and other limitations of the optical design.

Yes, like Stuart said here or in the other thread, there is not much (if any) correction necessary for S lenses, SL I don't know about. I don't want to hijack this thread and suggest we leave this thread for Hasselblad V and Planar discussions which is why I brought the 'let's make an analog S' thread back to life.

• Like 1

I recall the S lenses being designed such that the optical corrections were not necessary. I know that I have seen image degradation from having the lens corrections on in lightroom, especially with the 120mm. The shifting of pixels and chromatic aberration correction can soften and give false colors. It is only visible on very large enlargement, but it's still there...the S lenses are phenomenal...in certain cases the "corrections" do more harm than good.

As for the FE lenses,  all that I have tried have a nice character. I am not sure what it is, but they have the best bokeh I have seen out of any group of lenses. The 110mm f2 leads the pack in that way, but I also had the 50mm 2.8, 250mm F4 and 350mm F4. All bought before digital backs for the 203 were a thing, and when there really was no other way to use them, so they were quite cheap. I think I got all of them for around the cost of the 120mm APO Macro when I bought it. I have seen the 150mm and I think it has a similar character. I guess the way I would describe it is very smooth, pastel bokeh with good contrast and sharpness at the area of focus. I rarely shot the 110mm f2 wide open...DOF was too small for what I wanted to do. But at f4 it was superb...sharp and gentle at the same time. It was not really a sharpness thing, as it was quite sharp, just something in the rendering. I had the lens on the Rollei 6008 and had a similar experience. As an aside, the 6000 series lenses from Schneider were also lovely, so I suspect that this phenomena is also largely about focal lengths, film size and good lenses. Still, the FE lenses had something that I really liked, and the 203FE is a fantastic camera if you like the square format. 

I once had a 110 Rollei/Zeiss lens on Hy6 and shot my fav image of all time with it. How stupid was I to sell it (since I rebought a Hy6 but this time with film back this year). I now still have a Hassy 110 mm which I bought later  to use on the S, but as I said before I now rather use the S-AF lenses and for me S lenses also render very gentle.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 10:55 PM, tri said:

Unlucky timing, or you would have had a chance to meet (one of) the nicest group on LUF, around Hartmut, Kladdi and his wife.

That’s a great shame, would have been great to visit Germany again and make some more new friends there.

That’s a great shame, would have been great to visit Germany again and make some more new friends there.

Trust you are well.

Edited by Rolo

• 7 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,In the end, I had the full Night king of medium format:

1) Carlziess Rollei Planar 110f2 HFT
2) Carlziess Hasselblad Planar 110f2 T *
3) Pentax 67 105f2.4 SMC
4) Hasselblad HC 100f2.2
5) Leica Summicron-S 100f2 ASPH
6) Carlziess Contax Planar 80f2T *
7) Schneider-kreuznach Xenotar 80f2 HFT
8) Mamiya Sekor C 80f1.9 N
9) Zenza bronica Zenzanon 80f2.4 MC
10) Noritar 80f2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Hiep Nguyen
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Hiep Nguyen said:

3) Pentax 67 105f2.4 SMC
4) Hasselblad HC 100f2.2
😎 Mamiya Sekor C 80f1.9 N
10) Noritar 80f2

A few more coming out, Hassy XCD 80 1.9, Fuji's GF110 f/2, and it's future 80mm f1.7... what else?  

• 3 years later...
On 4/9/2020 at 1:01 PM, Hiep Nguyen said:

3) Pentax 67 105f2.4 SMC
4) Hasselblad HC 100f2.2
😎 Mamiya Sekor C 80f1.9 N
10) Noritar 80f2

I wonder which one is your favorite