Safari lenses for M240?

adli

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having been to South Africa and Namibia on fairly unguided trip that included a lot of animal pictures (and peripherally involved the shooting of animals - by others), I'll offer the following:

• Not having a zoom is not the end of the world. I took a D2x, a 24/2.8 and a 300/4.5 ED-IF AIS Nikkor (which is relatively small, light, and doesn't give up anything to Leica's teles). The 300 was fine for most pictures.

• That said, if I did it again, I would consider something (if this were Nikon) like the 70-300/4.5-5.6 AFS VRII. The reason is that if you shoot from a vehicle less stable than the largest overlands (which are like the Imperial Battle Cruisers of buses), there is going to be bounce from bad shocks. Lightweight, stabilized lenses would mean giving up the tripod socket, but…

• A monopod is something useful to have for the one or two times you use it. I also took a Red Pod and used it not at all (ideally, you would use this to brace on a vehicle element, but when the vehicle bounces, you're no worse off hand-holding the camera).

Owning an M 240 for 3/4 of a year, I am not impressed with the idea of using an M 240 for a safari at all, based on the following:

• The live view you need to focus telephotos has a lot of lag. It's also easy to accidentally trigger the cycle between rear-screen, EVF and VF or lose track of where it is. This will not get better with adrenaline. And the "auto magnify" function is triggered by RF cam movement on RF lenses, not the actual focus - which means that you add an additional, clumsy step to the mix if you can't eyeball the focus.

• The lockup problem - supposedly exacerbated by ternperature - is going to be worse in a place where hitting 45º C is not a problem. Having to pull out and reinsert a battery is the ultimate form of shutter lag. I did not have Nikon electronics fail in Africa, but I've had Leica electronics fail pretty much at room temperature. It's not hard to take any black-colored camera to its 60º design limit in southern hemisphere direct sun.

• Dust. Dirt. Sand. Everywhere. Safari settings might not be the place to bring a camera that has no dust sealing between the lens and the body. We drove through Fish River Canyon in a VW, and the sand was wisping in like smoke around the door seals. If you do anything, get a bag that is dust resistant.

• You probably have little idea how short a time an animal stays put. If you can't get the shot in 5-10 seconds, you're done for.

At the end of the day, just as lions can run 30m in 2 seconds and giraffes have long necks, there is a good reason why giant DSLRs rule animal pictures. It's because whatever the incremental advantage of Leica glass, DSLRs are stabilized, shoot high ISOs well (remember, you'll want 1/500 sec pretty much as a minimum with any serious tele), and lock, focus and shoot quickly and from an open aperture. A "crappy" DSLR lens properly focused will always beat out mis-focused R glass hacked onto an M body.

That unique shot? Don't worry about it. In the old days, people hated vacation slide shows because they were jealous. Today they hate Flickr streams from vacations because they make us realize that our experiences are not as unique as we would like to think. Just have fun, take the pictures you want to take, and get plenty of practice at zoos beforehand (zoo animals are pretty lethargic by comparison, but the distances are somewhat realistic).

And don't let the Leica-intelligentsia pressure you to take something that will seem good on paper (and provide a "unique" perspective) but won't get the shot in real life. Unless you are willing to do something that endangers your own life, you probably will not be taking any pictures that no one else has already taken. And if you do, you might be more interested in something that has "Nitro Express" in its name than "Leica."

You're probably not going back to this place; go for what you feel is most reliable.

Enjoy your trip. Animals and heat and Land Cruisers are a blast. Just don't get the wrong kind of malaria pills!

Dante

Edited by dante
  • Like 5

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

This is what me and my wife are taking;

Leica M240

Leica 50 Noctilux

Leica 21mm Lux

The above is for shooting people, landscape and anything that gets very close to the truck

Nikon D4s

Nikon D800e

Nikon 600mm f4

Nikon 300mm f2.8

Nikon 70/200mm f2.8

Nikon 24/70mm f2.8

Nikon 24mm f1.4

Wife is taking Nikon D600

The above is for me and the old lady to share and shoot wildlife. Which ever Safari we decide to take we will pay extra for our own vehicle and guide for the morning and afternoon drives.

Will post pictures when we get back

I last went on Safari with Michael Reichmann and Andy Biggs in 2004 to Tanzania. This was during my Canon days before my switch to Leica. I used a Canon 1D with a 10D as a backup. My most used lens was an 300L f2.8, followed by the 70-200L 2.8IS together with the 1.4x extender (I found the 2x too soft). I used bean bags for tripods.

Unless money is no object, I think another platform other than Leica might be a better choice to take on Safari. For a lens that might only be used for this trip of a lifetime, the Vario-Elmar 105-280 seems to be a little expensive, selling for $4000-6000.

Were I to go again (having sold all of my Canon gear), I would consider Super Telephoto options from either Sony for the A7 or Olympus OMD platforms. I own neither.

Whatever you choose, certainly bring two cameras on the same platform (ideally) to mitigate equipment failure and share lenses. This also minimizes lens changes in a very dusty and dry climate.

The attached pictures in real life are very sharp but forum size restrictions have resulted in these samples appearing much softer than they really are.

Erik

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by egrossman
  • Like 5

This is what me and my wife are taking;

Leica M240

Leica 50 Noctilux

Leica 21mm Lux

The above is for shooting people, landscape and anything that gets very close to the truck

Nikon D4s

Nikon D800e

Nikon 600mm f4

Nikon 300mm f2.8

Nikon 70/200mm f2.8

Nikon 24/70mm f2.8

Nikon 24mm f1.4

Wife is taking Nikon D600

The above is for me and the old lady to share and shoot wildlife. Which ever Safari we decide to take we will pay extra for our own vehicle and guide for the morning and afternoon drives.

Will post pictures when we get back

Great setup Neil! Very similar to mine.

I'd suggest to add something really wide, I used to travel with Nikkor 14-24 but it was big and heavy lens so currently I take WATE.

Get flash. Necessary for night life in lodges but also very helpful during dusk and dawn times.

And don't forget GoPro. It's a great companion for photo journey.

Which ever Safari we decide to take we will pay extra for our own vehicle and guide for the morning and afternoon drives.

That is very wise move. It will give you a far better experience.

Fun to compare images

#s 2,3 and 5 are from the Masai Mara. All were taken with the Vario-Elmar, mostly with the 1.4x conveyer on. Thgese have been reduced by the Forum software (I lifted them from my album) to less than 100Kb, so imagine the way they look full-res :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2

Neil, good idea for kit. I spend about 6 weeks each year on safari, mainly photo but occasionally it goes bang rather than click.

You might like to take a Wimberley or similar swivel. Tripod not much use in a vehicle unless strapped in, so I use a thing called a Megamount Pro with a Wimberley attached to it. It clamps securely to any vehicle, and will take the weight of a D3x and 600 - I've tried. The Manfrotto version snapped in about 2 minutes when subjected to a similar load. Megamount took a lot of finding and I eventually bought it from a Hollywood movie kit shop. Tried the bookmark a minute ago and got a 404-site not found, so I'm not really much help!

I have used the same guides for the last 10 years and they are just marvellous, and by now good friends. Ditto pilot, and all of them are keen photographers with superb eyesight and ranger skills. PM me if you would like contact details.Have a great trip; if in doubt, remember to "famba stret"

Regards

Robert

So, back to the op question.

I'd strongly suggest getting another body with tele lens for Kenya (maybe m43? some of the lenses aren't bad). It should be still cheaper than 105-280 and much more flexible. Keep M with M lenses for close distance action (if you get lucky) and/or scenery/people.

Ah! :) How much is the airline fare for your donkey?:p

There are hand luggage limits, and all light aircraft transfers to and in the Safari areas will have a luggage limit of 12 to 15 kg including camera gear. - and they weigh the passenger.:eek:

The pilots are lenient but also safety-concious and when the Cessna is full the limits will be enforced and you will have to purchase a separate seat for your camera bag on another plane flying in - if available.

Having done quite a number of Safari's I'm always amazed that the pilots seem to ignore equipment - my last bag weighed 23 lbs; of course it's always a concern because they could be difficult. In Botswana and Namibia one tends to be in fully open land-rovers so it's difficult to find anywhere to rest a bean-bag unless you're lucky enough to get the front seat (and often a second guide or spotter is sitting there). I find a monopod very usefull in these vehicles. In East Africa, esp. Tanzania you tend to be in an enclosed vehicle, often with a vent in the roof so a bean bag is great on the windows or the edge of the roof vent.

You generally need a 400mm lens for enough reach for wildlife so that is not the forte of a Leica - better a Nikon or Canon. Nikon has just come out with an 80-400 which has very good reviews and is half the weight and length of the classic 200-400 or any comparable lenses. Last trip I compromised by using a Nikon 70-200 plus new 2x converter...I couldn't bear the thought of lugging a 7-8 lb 14" lens! Note however that there are lots or fantastic landscapes, faces, and other ways a Leica would shine...we've often visited indiginous people and taking their portraits with a Leica (which I haven't yet tried) should be super.

In East Africa it rather depends on the quality of the venue whether one is in a closed vehicle. In the Mara I would strongly recommend staying in a small camp preferably on its own conservancy, to avoid the crowd, which can be really bad.

These camps are available on all levels, from the simple and authentic Safari experience by Porini Camps (Gamewatcher Safaris) to the sybarytic luxury of Finch Hatton's and Cottar's Camp.

In Tanzania the closed vehicles are fortunately limited to the Northern Circuit and even there to the tourist traps. If one goes with a good outfit like Nomad it is a different story.

Good camps will have open vehicles that are geared to photography. There will be trays to stow one's gear in and benches to rest a beanbag on.

Usually the guide will be at least be knowledgeable about hotography and will position the vehicle to have decent light.