Safari lenses for M240?

adli

As someone who travels quite a lot and has tried to use the longer Leica lenses both R and Visoflex on various M’s including the M240 over many years, my advice is to use a different autofocus camera for the longer shots, particularly of animals/birds. The M240 is a fantastic camera for 95% of my use but for those long animal shots, I use an Olympus EP-5 with a 75-300mm (150 to 600mm EFOV) auto-focus zoom lens. With the Olympus EP-5, you also get the benefit of 5 axis image stabilisation. Its 16mp sensor is a first class performer with both JPEG and RAW (ORF) output being first class and IMHO, not a million miles from the performance of the M9 and maybe better at high ISO’s. The shutter shock issue is now cured with an FW update.

Wilson

Jaap,

You have much steadier and better hands than I have. The photos I took hand held with the 80-200 Vario Elmar in India earlier this year are frankly disappointing. They might have been better if the situation had allowed me to use my carbon monopod but it didn’t. I used the Olympus 75-300 to take some wild fowl photos a few weeks ago and the whole exercise was so much easier, as I could concentrate on taking the photo and framing, rather than trying to get the focus spot on. Admittedly my 80-200 has a very easily moved focus collar, which does not help. It really needs a service with new sticky grease in the helicoids.

Wilson

That is quite understandable, Wilson, and just once again proves that personal preferences are , well…, personal.

I jut got a 80-200 with a sloppy focus ring despite being mint in every other respect.

Straight through to Will van Manen, who sounded quite unfazed. Apparently the movement of the focus ring is transferred to the internal focusing elements by one little screwed-in lever which has a habit of working loose.

Jaap,

As Will has now had a chance to practice on your lens ;) I wonder if it would be a good idea to send him mine. He should be quite good at the job now. The loose linkage might explain why focus seemed to change all by itself, so my less that perfectly focussed pictures with the 80-200, might only be 90% my fault :)

Wilson