Traveling with the M240

JimKasson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That was not what I was saying at all. I said Algrove's lockup in the Leica factory is unlikely to be the lockup that appears to be related to a high temperature. The temperature one is probably experienced by all cameras thus a bug, his lockup may well have been an individual fault in his camera.

Mine locked up in Europe this Summer when the temps were very hot so I do believe it was temperature related as the camera was very hot to touch when left on during street shooting using the EVF.

• Like 1

Mine locked up in Europe this Summer when the temps were very hot so I do believe it was temperature related as the camera was very hot to touch when left on during street shooting using the EVF.
Well, I think your camera should have had individual attention instead of waiting for a general fix.

How can we be sure Algrove and dwbell's lock ups have been the "individual" ones, and yours, Jaap, is the "general" one?

Just because Leica said so?

Besides in other threads plenty of people have reported this problem while stating it did not happen in conditions anywhere near 40 degrees. To be honest, from reading these forums I would say the "40 degree lockup" seems more individual than the "at any temperature lockup".

While nothing to do with the evf lock up problem: I had my first lock up without the EVF btw. Lost my last taken picture with that one. It just vanished. It was one of the better pictures I took that evening as well.

Well, there is a clear difference between behaviour that is linked to a fixed parameter and can be reproduced and random lockups that happen on some cameras and not on most others.

I can assure you that your camera will lock up in an ambient temperature over 37 degrees with the EVF attached if you do not disable auto-shutoff, but mine and many others have behaved impeccably in anything approaching temperate weather.

As a side note, SD cards are not exempt. One of my Lexar Pro 16 GB cards -one out of six- went berserk at tropical temperatures, corrupting one DNG in four. The other five behaved just fine. Fortunately I noticed relatively soon and I was shooting DNG+JPG fine salvaging the shots. Once bat int the European cold the card reverted to normal reliable behavior.

It's nice to be arguing about which type of lock up is the most prevelant.

Isn't it?

On Saturday, I experienced a new (to me) lockup. Temp 10 degrees Celsius. Making images with the 90 mm APO and the Leica version of the EVF. Shutter wouldn't release, but the EVF kept updating itself with information from the sensor. EVF switch MIA. Likewise LV switch. Switching shutter to "A" provided no LED display in finder.

Switching camera off, counting to ten, and switching it back on fixed things.

Jim

What queue?

This does not exist, remember?

For me, this doesn't exist as the M240 is not delivered yet (or not allowed to deliver by me).

For people in CS Solms, this doesn't exist because they have no the luxury to fiddle with the camera yet as all M240 have to be shipped to customers.

1 week for a complete body rebuild? 4 days to replace the LCD? (not even express service)

Perhaps for you, but that is not the case on this side of the ocean what with me sending item to Leica NJ usually 3 days, then export US/import Germany, fixing the issue(s) and then export Germany/import US and then sending on to me usually 2 days. This is often more than one month end to end. I had an R lens CLA'd recently by CS Solms and that was 10 weeks round trip. Just remembered I had a complete M240 body rebuild took 6 weeks door to door.

Perhaps for you, but that is not the case on this side of the ocean what with me sending item to Leica NJ usually 3 days, then export US/import Germany, fixing the issue(s) and then export Germany/import US and then sending on to me usually 2 days. This is often more than one month end to end. I had an R lens CLA'd recently by CS Solms and that was 10 weeks round trip. Just remembered I had a complete M240 body rebuild took 6 weeks door to door.

Hi algrove,

You guys over the pond seem to have endless issues with Leica NJ - can you not talk to and send to Solms direct? I certainly have from the UK and have always found them extremely helpful. You may as well dispatch direct to Germany rather than first sending to NJ and then awaiting NJ to send to Solms (and then repeating the trail back again).

Transit costs may be an issue - and/or the requirement to deal direct with NJ not withstanding.