Summilux R 80mm 1.4 vs Canon 85mm 1.2?

MikeEvangelist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Don't buy the chipped adapter from fotodiox. It will burn your camera out.

I recently received the Fotodiox Leica R to Canon EOS adapter with Dandelion focus confirmation chip and tried it on my Canon body and the Leica Summilux R 80 mm just today. So far no burnout on my camera body and the focus confirmation was fantastic to critically focus. When the image is in focus, my Canon Mk 4 beeps and a light lights up in the viewfinder. When it critically gets to the point of focus, the light stays on and the beeping noise gets even more rapid. The construction was super solid and the chip was very well attached and not just glued on.:D

I remember other posts about camera burn out but it may have been from non US origins or less expensive glued on versions. Did sfage get a non US version of an adapter with focus confirmation chip? So far Fotodiox is a winner and a keeper. No financial interests;)

• 2 weeks later...
I find it quite easy to focus wide open. What trouble are you having with it?

Just not getting much joy, I understand that at 1.2 dof is for all intents and purposes non existent but I'm not having much fun, I'm beginning to come to accept that it may be my vision and the need for spectacles now,sigh.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just not getting much joy, I understand that at 1.2 dof is for all intents and purposes non existent but I'm not having much fun, I'm beginning to come to accept that it may be my vision and the need for spectacles now,sigh.

You're not alone: Before Canon switched from FD to EOS system, - and I did it to Leica-M - the FD lens 1.2 - 85 mm was used very much at A-1 and FtBn with Kodachrome films.

Hardly one of the with FD 1.2 - 85 mm taken slides or deducted prints reached the quality of Leica lenses in sharpness, contrast and vibrancy.