Should I keep waiting for the M ... ?

dgc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello. I am new to rangefinders and Leica having recently bought the M7 and 50mm/f2, a medium I first started using 30 years ago.

I have fallen for Leica, hook line and sinker, so much so that I put my name on the waiting list for the M. But I cannot get my head round the idea of spending £5000 for a camera where the lenses, to me, are the main reason to buy into the system. I am an enthusiast who takes photographs of landscapes and when travelling; I prefer B&W, which the M7 will fulfill.

I have been on the waiting list for 3 months now, but I cannot stop trying to talk myself out of this. I bought the M7 in order to slow my photography down and take more time composing each shot. I found that using a DSLR became an extension of a point and shoot where you could take image after image and manipulate them as you would wish in post production.

I am considering the following options:

1. Remove my name from the M list and remain faithful to my Canon 5Dii and newly acquired M7 for B&W.

a. Get the 35mm ASPH f1.4 (#11663) with the money saved. I have recently found that the 50mm does not provide a sufficient angle of view for all my needs. However, would the 35mm f2 (#11879) be as good for street and landscape photography? I can always push process my film should I need a higher ISO. Several threads suggest flare and CA as issues on the Summilux.
Please do not bring the ASPHERICAL and any earlier versions into the discussion (I am still waiting for member IWC Doppel to complete his comparison test with the 35mm ASPH FLE version from another thread !)

2. Continue with my purchase of the M.

3. Wait for the next reincarnation of the M, but when will this be - 2015 ??

4. Get a Fuji X100s/ X Pro 1 for colour to compliment my M7.

I understand that my M may become available in December, so I have plenty of time to decide and I know that only I can make this decision (and I think I have made a decision from simply putting this down in words) but other members' thoughts and similar woes would be appreciated. Especially on the M and 35mm lenses where there appears to be much subjectivity and personal preference.

Thanks for listening !

David

David, welcome to the forum!

Have you considered the excellent M-E or a used mint M9? That would give you the results you seek, at a lower cost, allowing you to add a 28mm or 35mm Summicron lens to go with your 50. I am very happy with my M9 which does almost all I need and am not rushing to upgrade it at present.

I am going to ruffle on a few feathers on this forum. I would say the Summicron 35 asph is preferable to the Summilux 35 asph (fle) for both landscape and street. For a couple of reasons. The faster lens is slightly softer up to f 2.8, by which time they draw even. So the extra price and bulk do not add anything for landscape. For street in the daytime the same argument applies, and the small size of the Summicron makes the camera even a smidget less intimidating. But as the Summicron has less flare and higher contrast (both general and micro) at 2.0 it works better for night photography in the street with more precision the image, as street photography often has bright highlights and deep shadows. I really love the clarity it produces outdoor at night. The Summilux however excels in more even lighting indoors. And will give you that extra stop and separation.

Having said that I could live with either.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2

David

I had not considered the M9 as the general opinion is that the M is a much improved version of the M9 (apart from some colour issues), but I am now watching 4 x M9's on ebay !

Jaap

Your response has been the most informed and concise answer to the 35mm Summicron v Summilux question I have seen on any thread. Thanks. It will be interesting to see how many feathers you have ruffled ... Hopefully, not many.

Thanks, David

• Like 1

I am going to ruffle on a few feathers on this forum.

Thanks for your wisdom. My feathers are fine.

I was a fast lens fan for decades, largely because I was a news photographer. I still have nothing but fast lenses for the Leicas.

But last year I got to use a Summicron. If I were not divesting I would switch to Leica Summicrons in a moment, especially with the M240's good high ISO performance.

• Like 1