Variations on a coin theme; X Vario & Elpros

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

More experiments with the X Vario plus two Leitz Elpro VIb apochromatic c/u lenses using two Novoflex 'Flash Art' light tablets. The 'Flash Art' units were used in manual mode on 1/16 power; flash to subject and flash to background distances were varied as were shutter speeds and apertures and ISO settings ... all a bit 'suck it and see' until desired (sort of) results were obtained.

The first pictures show the method and apparatus

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

One light on the RHS used to illuminate the background and one used from the LHS to 'graze' the top of the coin to bring out the relief. The reflector at the side of the velvet background throws some light back into the velvet to eliminate the shadow of the coin support cast by the flash. The Novoflex 'Flash Art' units produce parallel flash beams thus 'grazed light' is easily achieved.

This illustrates the magnification possible in the LCD monitor with two Elpro VIb c/u lenses attached to the X Vario lens at the 70mm (FF equivalent) focal length setting. Higher magnifications are possible using three Elpro VIb c/u lenses. A special adaptor was made to attach the Series VI thread to the Vario X lens' 43mm filter thread.

This illustrates the actual coin support; the velvet background has a hole in the centre through which the coin support passes. Note the shadow cast by the coin suppport - hence the need for a reflector opposite same when the flash is fired to eliminate the shadow. Although the background is black, the objective is to illuminate it to a 'grey' (ish) tone so there is still some visible texture in the background - thus creating a visible out of focus background above which the coin appears to float ... well that's the theory but what happens in practice can be different.

In this illustration both Novoflex 'Flash Art' units are angled to graze the coin from opposite sides ... but this usually provides minimal illumination for the background - depending on the angle of the flash units. Note the separate power supplies for each flash head. These flat tablet flash units are unique and are no longer available. When new they were listed at over $600 / £800 each but I managed to find two secondhand units one of which cost less than £50. The power supplies are based on PK flash (Pathrath & Kemper) units and are the same as used for their well known ring flash units which were popular over 20 years ago. The power supplies/control units do offer TTL metering with correct flash modules but TTBOMK they are not SCA compatible. I do not have TTL modules so have to use the flash units manually. They have a guide number of 12m @100 ISO. This is far too powerful for close up photography. The only partial setting is 1/16 full power - so I'm stuck with that setting and vary the flash to subject distance to alter the illumination. By varying the distances, varying the ISO setting and playing with various combinations of shutter speed and aperture it is possible to arrive at a satisfactory mix of subject and background illumination - but sometimes this involves eg a one second shutter speed to illuminate the background with flash providing the main coin illumination. One of the difficulties with this type of photography is eliminating dust which tends to settle on the coin - hence the rubber bulb blower which is supplemented with small brushes. The bulb blower is used before each exposure - but even so it does not necessarily blow away all the dust particles which continue continue to fall. Thus post processing is required to spot out the remaining dust particles. This was the first time that I'd tried using two of the Noviflex units thus it's still a learning process.

The flash units are fired via a Yongnuo flash trigger; the transmitter is on the camera together with a Wein trigger voltage reducer. I only have one receiver which is attached to the RHS flash unit. The flash on the LHS is wired to the transmitter.

The Wein trigger voltage reducer might not be required but so far I have not been able to establish what the actual trigger voltage actually is - and I do not wish to risk damaging the camera's electronics.

cont'd ...

Edited by dkpeterborough

And these are the results so far. This is the obverse of a Charles Dickens Commemorative £2 PROOF coin made from: Silver (0.925 Ag) Inner / Gold plated Silver Outer (0.925 Ag). I'm still working on photographing the reverse side of the coin. The photos were taken as JPEG originals.

1/8 sec, f6.4, ISO 800, 46mm focal length setting.

10 seconds f7.1, ISO 200 46mm focal length setting

1.6 secs, f10, ISO 400, 46mm focal length setting

1/8 sec, f6.4, ISO 800, 46mm focal length setting.

I thought that all of these photos were taken at the 70mm setting but on checking the info. they were each taken at 46mm - so the zoom setting has slipped - probably me nudging it as would not slip by itself. When the reverse side is photographed I'll double check to make sure the 70mm setting is used .

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough
  • Like 2

You did have the lens on 70. Leica has marked the lens with the full frame figures. In LR it states the actual setting of 46 mm.

Because it is an APS-C sensor 46 x 1.5= 23 + 46 which is 69 ish or rounded up to 70mm.

Hope this helps.

You did have the lens on 70. Leica has marked the lens with the full frame figures. In LR it states the actual setting of 46 mm.

Because it is an APS-C sensor 46 x 1.5= 23 + 46 which is 69 ish or rounded up to 70mm.

Hope this helps.

Thanks I should have realised that because the lens' zoom range is shown as the FF equivalent on the zoom ring it does not appear as such in the 'info'.

It's been a very long day ... and now it's 'a hard day's night' ... ;)

Furthermore, after photographing the specimen, it's very apparent that the so called 'proof coin' has a fault all around the join between the inner and outer parts of the coin - above the º º º º º º º º and below the lettering. Maybe it's in the plating but whatever it is detracts from the enjoyment and it's certainly not an FDC (Fleur De Coin) collectible. I have Emailed the Royal Mint and requested that they exchange the coin for a better specimen. They do not mint coins like they used to i.e. since the Royal Mint moved from London to Llantrisant in Wales.

Best wishes

dunk

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Vic and Paul - I'm still experimenting with the lighting and hope to improve the technique to obtain better results with some other coin specimens. The Dickens £2 proof coin was bought specially for the current photographic project but the minting fault has spoilt the experience; the fault was not visible until I saw the results. The coin was on special offer ie reduced in price from £49.50 to £30.00 ... and now I'm wondering if it's a known fault? At first I thought the 'jaggers' might be due to JPEG over-sharpening but that is not the case - there is a definite minting/plating fault on both the obverse and reverse - and the quality of the centre silver part of the coin is not exactly 'proof-like' either. The coin was purchased directly from the Royal Mint as a collectable commemorative proof.

Best wishes

dunk

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks I should have realised that because the lens' zoom range is shown as the FF equivalent on the zoom ring it does not appear as such in the 'info'.

It's been a very long day ... and now it's 'a hard day's night' ... ;)

[ATTACH]387249[/ATTACH]

Furthermore, after photographing the specimen, it's very apparent that the so called 'proof coin' has a fault all around the join between the inner and outer parts of the coin - above the º º º º º º º º and below the lettering. Maybe it's in the plating but whatever it is detracts from the enjoyment and it's certainly not an FDC (Fleur De Coin) collectible. I have Emailed the Royal Mint and requested that they exchange the coin for a better specimen. They do not mint coins like they used to i.e. since the Royal Mint moved from London to Llantrisant in Wales.

Best wishes

dunk

After contacting The Royal Mint and sending them pictures of the faulty coin they agreed to exchange it for a better specimen which arrived yesterday. The replacement has a perfect silver 'hub' compared to the mottled silver hub of the first specimen but unfortunately still has the same type of gold plating fault around the perimeter where the gold plated outer 'tyre' meets the inner silver 'hub'

Photos taken with D Lux 5

Proof coins should be perfect FDC specimens. I have sent Royal Mint photos showing the fault in the second specimen and await their response. British coin minting 'ain't what it used to be'.

dunk

• 5 weeks later...
Despite the flaws in the coin, these are fantastic pictures. Thank for sharing them as well as sharing a bit about the process to create them.:)

Thank you for the compliment. I was hoping that The Royal Mint would send me another replacement but following my second letter of complaint I was advised that remaining stocks have been quarantined. The poor proof specimens should not have been offered for sale even at the discounted price advertised. I'm very disappointed with the product and the marketing.

Best wishes

dunk