I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd like to write down my five good reasons why I still use film.

- I value the inherent imperfections of a film-based picture. The forgiveness it offers to technical errors is the least to think of: to my eyes, its imperfections are artistic.

- I am not obliged to do post-processing. What kills me is that post-processing is absolutely necessary in order to get a descent image.

- I have much better control over exposure and latitude with B&W photography. Instead of the "expose to the right" and the histogram, I can trust the time- and print-tested and honoured zone system.

- I can afford and enjoy medium format photography: "Leica is good, but Hasselblad is good, too." I would have chosen to shoot film, even if that had been the only factor. 

- There is no substitute for an all-metal, all-mechanical camera and its prime lenses. That balances perfectly the moment of shooting with the moment of looking at the final print.

Paul

Edited by atournas
  • Like 5

I'd like to write down my five good reasons why I still use film.

- I value the inherent imperfections of a film-based picture. The forgiveness it offers to technical errors is the least to think of: to my eyes, its imperfections are artistic.

- I am not obliged to do post-processing. What kills me is that post-processing is absolutely necessary in order to get a descent image.

- I have much better control over exposure and latitude with B&W photography. Instead of the "expose to the right" and the histogram, I can trust the time- and print-tested and honoured zone system.

- I can afford and enjoy medium format photography: "Leica is good, but Hasselblad is good, too." I would have chosen to shoot film, even if that had been the only factor. 

- There is no substitute for an all-metal, all-mechanical camera and its prime lenses. That balances perfectly the moment of shooting with the moment of looking at the final print.

Paul

Paul,

Only one word : BRAVO !

I agree at 200%

... and I add you can print in silver paper :) not inkjet * and it's cheaper , more beautiful

in the "artistic" sense  of the term !

+ what pleasure to do yourself 

Regards

Henry

* not the same process (ink deposit for inkjet)

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Look at this picture already posted just to show you as said Paul the artistic side of film

a little blur , not too much sharp , faithful color , do not need to correct with any software,

not agressive flowers with "cutting" edge like in digital . You have there a "nuance" that

only film can reproduce ... finally like a Claude Monet's impressionist painting.

... same notice in print.

I think it's also nice in 6x6.

... to meditate

Paul, I think Adam will agree with you :)

Kodak Portra 160

Leica M7

90 Apo Summicron Asph

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I also took this picture with my CCD sensor M9 , not comparable

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 5

Paul,

Only one word : BRAVO !

I agree at 200%

... and I add you can print in silver paper :) not inkjet * and it's cheaper , more beautiful

in the "artistic" sense  of the term !

+ what pleasure to do yourself 

Regards

Henry

* not the same process (ink deposit for inkjet)

Thanks, Henry. As for your series of photographs with the flower fields, I think they are outstanding!

Paul

• Like 2

Hi Adam...would you mind elaborating on this point...I'm trying to understand a bit more when you'd choose Provia over Velvia....thx.  Looking forward to seeing Israel through the lens of your camera.

Hey Marc - My own personal high level thought process on these two films is as follows:

1.  Provia 100F - a much better all around film, much better at low's shutter speeds (below 1/15, and LOTS better below 1 sec) (less prone to magenta attack), great real life colors and skin tones.   Great all around film for all purposes provided the contrast level is not too great.   The reciprocity failure characteristics of the current version are amazing.  No adjustment in exposure time needs to be made up to a full minute!

2.  Velvia 50 - clearly not for people (at least caucasian), skin comes orange'ish.  Less latitude than provia (easier to crush shadows).  But for the right subjects and contrast levels the colors are more saturated and vibrant (varying from incredibly real to incredibly unreal) than with provia.  Can be exaggeratingly so.  I tend to go with this film as a first choice when the subject(s) is evenly lit with lots of light and there isn't much contrast and the shutter speed is above 1/15.    

Both are fantastic film stock and complimentary and so both get a lot of use with me.  :)

• Like 3

Love that there's no outside details, no context other than the interior, here.  Whatever he is raptly looking at remains completely up to our imagination.  

Rirakuma, Yes I agree with Kevin and I add like in a movie :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Ari Asks a Question (Ari is a trained Sinologist, now working for the MLA in NY).  Caught him asking an erudite question while visiting at his cabin in the Catskills.   

M4, Elmar-M 50/2.8 wide open, Acros in Rodinal 1+100 (probably not the best combination but the rest of this roll was boring test shots for a new lens so I wanted something as painless as possible for processing and it's hard to beat stand dev for that).

27800144583_c3e3e9526f_b.jpg

Beautiful photo of interview Kevin

Rg

H.

• Like 1

Hey Marc - My own personal high level thought process on these two films is as follows:

1.  Provia 100F - a much better all around film, much better at low's shutter speeds (below 1/15, and LOTS better below 1 sec) (less prone to magenta attack), great real life colors and skin tones.   Great all around film for all purposes provided the contrast level is not too great.   The reciprocity failure characteristics of the current version are amazing.  No adjustment in exposure time needs to be made up to a full minute!

2.  Velvia 50 - clearly not for people (at least caucasian), skin comes orange'ish.  Less latitude than provia (easier to crush shadows).  But for the right subjects and contrast levels the colors are more saturated and vibrant (varying from incredibly real to incredibly unreal) than with provia.  Can be exaggeratingly so.  I tend to go with this film as a first choice when the subject(s) is evenly lit with lots of light and there isn't much contrast and the shutter speed is above 1/15.    

Both are fantastic film stock and complimentary and so both get a lot of use with me.   :)

Thanks Adam it's an useful advice

Best

Henry

• Like 1

Père Lachaise cemetery

Paris

and you can find among the tombs Oscar Wilde,Jim Morrison,Chopin....

You can visit this very relaxing place, in silence ... and for shooting

Ilford FP4

MP-50 LA

For Gary Epson Scan V700

Best

Henry

• Like 9

... before the rally and for Dirk :)

Kodak TX

MP-50 LA

Best

Henry

• Like 8

and for Gnu :) may be a Lotus

Montlhéry circuit

Ilford FP4

MP-90 Cron Apo Asph

Best

Henry

• Like 6

A day on a bike is always pure joy for a boy.

• Like 5