I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The series of Fiat shots by Dirk spurred me to scan one from recently. This one a static display in Paris ("Merci" shop on Blvd Beaumarchais if I recall correctly).

Co-incidently we hired a new version Fiat 500 for our week in Puglia, loved it. My wife and I had Fiat 500's as youngsters, so hiring one this time in Italy was a given, call it reverting to our youth if you like, but bear in mind it was a good while ago.

M6 35 Summicron M. T-Max 100. Rodinal 1:50

Minolta 5400 II scanner

Gary

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Autumn sunrise NYC cityscape from the Reservoir Lake in Central Park.

EKTAR

(unfortunately too low res due to the aspect ratio and max upload long size, although I did temporarily upload a full res file on my flickr page)

Very nice color Adam

a "romantic" landscape

Best

Henry

• Like 1

Hi guys.

Thought I better share some images... Enjoying this thread :)

I made the switch to film (and Leica) in September, so still felling my way with both film and the Leica system. 

I fallen in love with the camera (M-A after a short period of owning an M6). And love the lenses! (currently the 35mm and 50mm Summicrons F2, both V4 to the best of my knowledge.)

A couple from Cambridge the other day...

23271161161_54ec13f1b7_b.jpgUntitled by Bruce Gill, on Flickr

23269994161_78e77cccef_b.jpgUntitled by Bruce Gill, on Flickr

23056300710_b4d502b854_b.jpgUntitled by Bruce Gill, on Flickr

EDIT, sorry, the last ones came out huge!!

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce - congrats on your new M-A. It is a fabulous camera and one that i will never part with and which likely will be serving my kids and hopefully one day grandkids.

hope you will share more of your film images here.

best, adam

• Like 1

Autumn sunrise NYC cityscape from the Reservoir Lake in Central Park.

EKTAR

(unfortunately too low res due to the aspect ratio and max upload long size, although I did temporarily upload a full res file on my flickr page)

My best friend at one of his races. M6 as always, with delta 400 @ 1600.

22773705703_4b41a1ec88_z.jpg

23105115610_5f8e242e38_z.jpg

23105112970_e69dc38089_z.jpg

23374732336_c4879a511d_z.jpg

More to follow the next few days :) By the way, I bought a Yellow Filter for my Summicron today on a photo flea market(Darmstadt Germany, maybe some of you also visited it?) any tips or suggestions for using it with HP5 or Trix400? :)

Hi Max - nice to hear from you. The yellow filter is probably the single most useful lens filter for general B&W landscape photogtaphy. The reason for this is that it will generally provide just enough detail in the blue sky and separation of the sky with any clouds in a way that doesnt introduce exaggerated shadows and contrast, which the darker (orange and red) filters will do. Ansel Adams used all types of filters, although he regarded the medium yellow as the most used for the look that resembles more closely what the scene actually appeared in person. He then obviously used other filters to achieve a more artistic and surreal effect.

The effect of the medum yellow filter will depend on the deepness of the blue in the sky, which is effected by altitude.

The yellow filter is also used to slightly brighten skin tones in street photography and portraiture. This can come in handy at times, although it does sacrifice some speed and increase contrast levels.

Beat,

Adam

Edited by A miller
  • Like 2

Hi Max - nice to hear from you. The yellow filter is probably the single most useful lens filter for general B&W landscape photogtaphy. The reason for this is that it will generally provide just enough detail in the blue sky and separation of the sky with any clouds in a way that doesnt introduce exaggerated shadows and contrast, which the darker (orange and red) filters will do. Ansel Adams used all types of filters, although the regarded the medium yellow as the most used for the look that resembles more closely what the scene actually appeared in person. He then obviously used other filters to achieve a more artistic and surreal effect.

The effect of the medum yellow filter will depend on the deepness of the blue in the sky, which is effected by altitude.

The yellow filter is also used to slightly brighten skin tones in street photography and portraiture. This can come in handy at times, although it does sacrifice some speed and increase contrast levels.

Beat,

Adam

Thanks for the info...I've been thinking about getting a filter or two, yellow being the first one.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This thread moves fast! Thanks for the the "Thanks" guys!

Hi Bruce - congrats on your new M-A. It is a fabulous camera and one that i will never part with and which likely will be serving my kids and hopefully one day grandkids.
hope you will share more of your film images here.
best, adam

Thanks Adam! I'm loving it.

The meter in the M6 worked well but then this came up in mint used condition from the same shop, so I didn't loose anything on the M6. I love not having the little LEDs flickering in the viewfinder and I'm finding it a little more free to shoot if that makes sense? I'm not questioning the meter all the time. Just using a handheld or sunny 16 (Generally "miserable F8" in the UK at the moment lol). Seems to be a nicer experience. Thought I need to over expose a little more than I have been. After the short M6 ownership, I knew the Leica M film system was what I wanted. The M-A had only had a roll through it so it was good as new. Will be nice to hand it down one day to my kids! 

Bruce you are welcome  :)

Very nice b&w pictures, specialy  the first , nice contrast

Thanks for sharing

Best

Henry

Many thanks Henry! much appreciated. Wish you well after reading of your sad news on this thread. Keep strong!  

• Like 1

thought I'd share one of my Wife from last night... Something about shooting and developing an image on the same day gets me all excited (probably as I've come from a digital background).... Not sure what crop works better. What do you guys think? I can't wait to get into the darkroom and print this! 

As you can see, I like contrast and don't mind grain :)

Original crop:

23406067695_1285983556_b.jpgUntitled by Bruce Gill, on Flickr

New crop:

23052517789_0b36240f71_b.jpgUntitled by Bruce Gill, on Flickr

• Like 9

thought I'd share one of my Wife from last night... Something about shooting and developing an image on the same day gets me all excited (probably as I've come from a digital background).... Not sure what crop works better. What do you guys think? I can't wait to get into the darkroom and print this! 

Original crop:

New crop:

Untitled by Bruce Gill, on Flickr

Bruce this one is great I agree with CWolf .

Nice deep black only well reproduced in analog.

Beautiful scale of grey

Thanks for sharing

Best

Henry

• Like 2

Original crop:

New crop:

23052517789_0b36240f71_b.jpgUntitled by Bruce Gill, on Flickr

very cool, Bruce. impressive highlights and sharpness. And i agree eith Henry regarding the blacks.

what film and development?

looks to me like tri-x with some extra development (N+1) time for the enhanced highlights

but just a guess...

• Like 1

Beautiful photos Bruce. If you print it, you will like it much more than on your compter Screen. For me, number one is better, number 2 is too close for me. The light on her face and the upper part of the body is more harmonic .

have fun

best regards

Marc

• Like 1

Original crop:

New crop:

Very nice! AND you get to print it the next day! Awesome.

Soon, I will know that joy also. :)

• Like 1

very cool, Bruce. impressive highlights and sharpness. And i agree eith Henry regarding the blacks.

looks to me like tri-x with some extra development (N+1) time for the enhanced highlights

but just a guess...

i forgot to vote - the first is my clear favorite. the highlights on her face are fairly balanced with the blacks; whereas in the second the highlights are more dominant.

• Like 1

but just a guess...

Thanks Adam! 

Try-x at 1600, D76 1+1 at 12:30 - 20 degrees from memory (don't have the negs with my notes to hand). 

Still working it all out... tried HP5 but keep coming back to Tri-x. 400 seems way too slow in the UK at this time of year, 800 is ok but love the extra contrast from 1600, though then you obviously get less details/sharpness (that last bit is a struggle after using digital and having everything overly razor sharp. Amusingly, although I struggle with not seeing that detail sometimes, it's becoming what I dislike about digital. Go figure). Kind of want to settle on one film, one speed, one developer and then I can see where I'm going. 

Edited by brucegill

Beautiful photos Bruce. If you print it, you will like it much more than on your compter Screen. For me, number one is better, number 2 is too close for me. The light on her face and the upper part of the body is more harmonic .

have fun

best regards

Marc

Thank you Marc! yes, can't wait to print! Appreciate the feedback. I liked number one first, then questioned it and tried number two.... Your comments make sense to me. Should trust my gut and go with the first choice. 

Very nice! AND you get to print it the next day! Awesome.

Soon, I will know that joy also. :)

Hay Robert. Many thanks. Coming from digital the shoot, dev, print/scan in a day is nice for sure. not needed I guess but still used to chimping at least lol. Hope you get set up soon! I landed on my feet as my late grandfather used to print his own stuff. My mum had kept the enlarger and a few other bits. It's not great, but it works! 

i forgot to vote - the first is my clear favorite. the highlights on her face are fairly balanced with the blacks; whereas in the second the highlights are more dominant.

Thanks Adam, I see what you mean and agree. much appreciated. 

Henry, 

Somehow I missed the notes before this: My condolences on your loss. 

May your mother reside joyfully in your memory and grief depart you soon. 

My best through the tough times to come while you sort everything out. 

• Like 1