I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

La Clusaz at dawn

French Alpes

(1300m)

Kodak Portra 400

M7-35 LA

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best

Henry

• Like 12

Saint Pierre cemetery

Marseille

MP-50 LA

Best

Henry

• Like 10

"I am not Michael, I am Jordan"

Street photos Paris

Kodak Portra 400

(dev home 30°C)

Leica M7-35 Summilux Asph

Best

Henry

• Like 6

very nice, Chris.  How do you like the X1?  I have often wondered how the output compares to the Nikon Coolscan 9000.  Did you get a good deal on it second hand, and if so, how has your experience been?

Originally I bought a second hand 848 and got along very happily with it, but then it broke down and it went back to NJ twice before it was fixed (and it one hell of a hassle to ship from Canada to NJ and back!) In the middle of all that I was diagnosed with leukemia, and rather irrationally I treated myself to a new X1, thinking I could recover half the cost by selling the 848 when it was finally repaired. It now lives in Michigan. The main reason to prefer a Flextight over the 9000 is speed, and it is very easy to use and requires little fussing. The scans are better, but the difference is very small. The 3F scans are very large and allow one scan of a negative to be reprocessed in lots of different ways, but they are large enough that they bring storage problems and, of course, negate the speed advantage over the 9000. The FlexColor software is very good at getting colours right - to get the same with the 9000 I have to make a profile for the film by scanning the base, lock the exposure, scan as raw in Vuescan, and use ColorPerfect in PS to invert the scan into a positive with accurate colours. The results are very good indeed, but it's so much simpler with the Flextight! The only other thing that differentiates them is that the Nikon may not be repairable. I'm happy to keep it around - it saved me again this fall when I waited three months for B&H to get me a replacement bulb for the X1.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Originally I bought a second hand 848 and got along very happily with it, but then it broke down and it went back to NJ twice before it was fixed (and it one hell of a hassle to ship from Canada to NJ and back!) In the middle of all that I was diagnosed with leukemia, and rather irrationally I treated myself to a new X1, thinking I could recover half the cost by selling the 848 when it was finally repaired. It now lives in Michigan. The main reason to prefer a Flextight over the 9000 is speed, and it is very easy to use and requires little fussing. The scans are better, but the difference is very small. The 3F scans are very large and allow one scan of a negative to be reprocessed in lots of different ways, but they are large enough that they bring storage problems and, of course, negate the speed advantage over the 9000. The FlexColor software is very good at getting colours right - to get the same with the 9000 I have to make a profile for the film by scanning the base, lock the exposure, scan as raw in Vuescan, and use ColorPerfect in PS to invert the scan into a positive with accurate colours. The results are very good indeed, but it's so much simpler with the Flextight! The only other thing that differentiates them is that the Nikon may not be repairable. I'm happy to keep it around - it saved me again this fall when I waited three months for B&H to get me a replacement bulb for the X1.

Thanks for all the great information, Chris.  You certainly deserve it, so use it in good and improved health and have fun with all of your photography.  I can't seem to find the "transparency" option on my Vuescan, which is the latest version (using it on a Mac).  So I can't figure out how to scan an inverted file and use color perfect.  Perhaps one day it will come to me.  Until then, it is a fairly long slog to the completion of each "keeper" image.

• Like 1

Autumn sunrise NYC cityscape from the Reservoir Lake in Central Park.

EKTAR

(unfortunately too low res due to the aspect ratio and max upload long size, although I did temporarily upload a full res file on my flickr page)

Edited by A miller
  • Like 12

A beautiful sunrise picture, Adam!

I found shooting around the big Reservoir difficult, not having enough format width to take it in like this. The wide aspect ratio is clearly the right way for this place!

Great job.

James

Thanks a lot, James. You are so right about the format width. This was taken in 6x9 format and I think it worked well. I will make a test print and find out for sure. I'm thinking that the resolution should be enough to easily support a print that is at least 60" wide. We shall see....

Thanks again

Adam

CentralPark4.jpg

CentralPark5.jpg

A couple of architectural details in soft (cloudy) early morning light at the Bethesda Terrace in Central Park.

1950 Elmar 50mm, Tri-X

James

Very lovely details and rendering of the tri-x. That area is a wonderful place to shoot, with so many possibilities. I spent a lot of time with the large fountain on a really nice autumn day about a month ago and thought that I had nailed some "money shots" (they were very long exposures with an orange filter to accent the fast moving clouds against the dark blue sky in the background) only to find out later after exposing the entire roll that I had ektar in the film back instead of tmax! Man was I pissed!

• Like 4

Ric,

loving your B&W posts (OK, along with all the others).

One thing that sticks out, "M6 & 50mm & XP2".

No other lenses? Use any other film?

Just asking, as I am thinking I should just concentrate on the one body/lens/film combo.

I sort of did this by necessity a couple of years ago on a Europe trip when I bought an X1 (digital, fixed lens camera) and actually enjoyed it, no mucking with which lens to fit, etc.

Anyway, loving them.

Gary

Ric,

loving your B&W posts (OK, along with all the others).

One thing that sticks out, "M6 & 50mm & XP2".

No other lenses? Use any other film?

Just asking, as I am thinking I should just concentrate on the one body/lens/film combo.

I sort of did this by necessity a couple of years ago on a Europe trip when I bought an X1 (digital, fixed lens camera) and actually enjoyed it, no mucking with which lens to fit, etc.

Anyway, loving them.

Gary

Gary , the advantage of M (versus Q or X) are the interchangeable lens. Concerning me, as there is less risk of dust on analog M as digital M on the sensor (my case with 2 digital M), I change the optical according to my shots, for landscapes I take the 28 mm or the 35, the 50 mm for portraits (or landsapes) better the 90 (I do not have 75)....but you can also make beautiful pictures with a single lens (case of Ric)  :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Very lovely details and rendering of the tri-x. That area is a wonderful place to shoot, with so many possibilities. I spent a lot of time with the large fountain on a really nice autumn day about a month ago and thought that I had nailed some "money shots" (they were very long exposures with an orange filter to accent the fast moving clouds against the dark blue sky in the background) only to find out later after exposing the entire roll that I had ektar in the film back instead of tmax! Man was I pissed!

I agree with Adam,

James nice play of light and shadow in b&w

TX a great Kodak film

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Fuji Acros 100

MP-50 LA

Cap Blanc Nez and the Channel in the fog

(Calais)  France

the black dot on the right is a boat and points on the beach walkers

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 7