I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Really like the below shot, Adam, and how the light pours in gently from the left. Ektar does wonders for feathers so I can understand the birds came flocking along quickly :D One minor thing (which is likely due to my eyes) - given the prominent spot of the tall building, perhaps check if it is completely vertical?

From Central Park looking south
EKTAR

very funny, Trev.  Actually, I just told them that I was shooting with EKTAR and they all came rushing to be in the photo :D

Very creative use of the branches at the top. The effect is quite startling when compared to the shot below.

Sincere thanks, James.
Here are a couple of more for consideration....
Tmax 400 with a red filter for dramatic effect (and the branches creeping in to fill the dead space in the sky and somewhat mimic the specks of the ducks below)..

James, I like this one a lot. It has a timeless and tender feel to it. I like when the main subject is at the edge/corner like this because it forces the viewer to really look at a photo to see what's going on. It's particularly nice with larger foreground objects with striking shapes, like in your photo.

CentralPark1.jpg

Mother and son, Central Park, New York

Elmar 50, Tri-X

James

• Like 3

Really like the below shot, Adam, and how the light pours in gently from the left. Ektar does wonders for feathers so I can understand the birds came flocking along quickly :D One minor thing (which is likely due to my eyes) - given the prominent spot of the tall building, perhaps check if it is completely vertical?

Thanks a lot, Philip.  I really appreciate your close and expert look.  You've stumped me on the leveling.  It is possible that you are right.  I have tinkered with the leveling and, while not obvious, it is possible that the image could use a single notch tilt toward the left.  But I have gone back and forth numerous times and I can't come away with a conclusion.  I will continue to beat this up and compare and I'm sure it will in time (before print) become clear.

Thanks again (and also for the comment regarding the recently posted B&Ws).

Best, Adam

• Like 1

CentralPark1.jpg

Mother and son, Central Park, New York

Elmar 50, Tri-X

James

Wow, James.  This is beautiful.  I have to find this spot!! (Any hints would be appreciated :) )

I love the misty feel to it and how you resisted introducing more shadow detail into the rock in the foreground.  It has plenty of shadow detail as it is and the dark tones work well in focusing the eye to the right.  Well done!  Do you know these people?

• Like 1

Hello, not sure if the question is related (if not, please delete it), but could you please write down which NikonScan do you use?  I have a beautiful Minolta 5400, but the film carriage mechanism is broken and I cannot find anyone who can repair it.Thanks!

Hello, not sure if the question is related (if not, please delete it), but could you please write down which NikonScan do you use?  I have a beautiful Minolta 5400, but the film carriage mechanism is broken and I cannot find anyone who can repair it.Thanks!

Hi There - I use a Nikon Coolscan 9000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A patient Mrs M manages to keep smiling whilst I experiment with a 3-stop ND filter & wide-open 50mm ZM Sonnar f1.5.  M7 & Kentmere 100. Split-toning in LR used to add a touch of warmth.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

It's a good point to include the scanner used, at least occasionally, since that plays a rather big part in the result. I use a Coolscan 9000 mostly and a V ED sometimes.

Btw in the German forum there was a scanner example thread that's interesting (though it died in 2012).

Hello, not sure if the question is related (if not, please delete it), but could you please write down which NikonScan do you use? I have a beautiful Minolta 5400, but the film carriage mechanism is broken
Edited by philipus
  • Like 2

Central Park

E

K

T

A

R

Edited by A miller
  • Like 11

Adam, great viewpoint and lead-in line with the yellow leaves.  Specially arranged?   ;)  Was this with your LF camera?

Thanks, Keith. Those leaves were indeed nicely assorted along the path. ;)

This one was shot with my Hasselblad superwide (SWC/M)

Thanks again

Adam

• Like 1

Wow, James.  This is beautiful.  I have to find this spot!! (Any hints would be appreciated :) )

I love the misty feel to it and how you resisted introducing more shadow detail into the rock in the foreground.  It has plenty of shadow detail as it is and the dark tones work well in focusing the eye to the right.  Well done!  Do you know these people?

Thanks, Adam. It was a very overcast, misty morning. I was unhappy at first but changed my mind completely as the day progressed.

This location is just barely inside the park, by the southeast corner of "The Pond" looking north toward the little footbridge that you can see in the background.

• Like 1

Taken Tues late afternoon whilst wandering around the village of Avebury, finishing off a roll of Acros 100 in my IIIg (5cm Summicron Collapsible).  Developed at the kitchen sink this morning.  Slight crop to a 10" x 8" format and very minor adjustments to contrast etc in LR.

• Like 10

Setting this, Ric, I don't think you have any reason to feel that you must switch to something else than XP2. Very nice, with strong contrast and great composition.

For me, XP2 is great on the whites, and handles contrasts really well. So since my "return to film" it's become my first love. That day was *bright* and waaaay beyond sunny 16 (definitely higher than EV15 and maybe somewhere between EV16 and EV17) so I was nicely pleased I had anything to show for it. Basically, XP2 saved me. :-)

Nice one, Ric. Really like it. That tree reminds me of Canary Wharf :) (You might check the leveling of the horizon.)

Hah!

Bloody Canary Wharf. What *is* good about the Wharf is that the natives are too busy strutting about with a mobile phone to their ear to worry about some country bumpkin like me pointing a camera at them. If ever there's a definition of wildlife, it's them. :-)

Ric

p.s. Many, many friends and close colleagues work there, and if you're ever there lemme know 'cos there's a bar I know... and a cracking Indian restaurant.